Turning commander

Turning commander

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Jools
XTA Developer

Turning commander

Post by Jools »

In XTA the commander sometimes turns before dgunning or starting to built a llt/dt. This is annoying for many reasons:

* It takes time before he actually starts nanolathing on a new construction project, and in that time it may already become destroyed by enemy fire

* The d-gun may eminate from an unexpected location, thereby killing maybe unwittingly a bystanding raven, for instance.

Is this a feature or a bug? Can we try to fix it? Maybe just let the d-gun eminate from centre of commander too.
Deadnight Warrior

Re: Turning commander

Post by Deadnight Warrior »

If you're reffering to commander's torso turn before taking action, that can be eliminated, but will look stupid. If you're reffering to commander walking towards the target just a few pixels, that means you wheren't close enough for it to commit action, and has to move into range. That also takes into account turning commanders heading towards target. If you where reffering to that turn, it can't be eliminated without increasing action range (be it D-Gun/build/laser range).
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yes, I meant the turningof the torso. Maybe it would look bad otherwise, but sometimes he keeps turning for no reason.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

something like that that happened to me lots of times.

I order the dgun and instead of just turning the torso to the proper heading and firing it also turns the whole unit just before firing, making it take a bit longer before firing or just firing on the wrong position (looks weird).

This when aiming at a point in range and a flat map. Seems like a spring bug.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

raaar wrote: Seems like a script bug.
FTFY

(demo attached, look at 0:53 and 1:26)
Attachments
dgun.sdf
(36.84 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

ok i saw the replay and the bug happened very rarely.

but how can u be sure it is a script bug? The script should only make the turret turn, not the whole unit.

why does the unit turn? does it think the projectile path is obstructed?

That's what it seems. Try to dgun points that are obstructed by terrain. What i get here is the whole unit turning like 90degrees and stopping in the same position (it doesn't move, just turns). Test with an arm warrior, order it to fire through an obstruction (a hill, or a friendly unit, like a fusion reactor) at the ground.

If, instead of targeting ground, you spawn an enemy unit behind a friendly fusion, the warrior will reposition to attack it (but a commander won't if you order it to dgun the unit).

I smell bugs in the code that makes units reposition to fire when obstructions are present, it is probably both oversensitive and has flawed logic, if the unit is not meant to move it shouldn't turn at all.
Godde

Post by Godde »

I couldn't open the file. Said wrong Spring version or corrupt download. I got spring 85. What map?

The commander turning its whole body can be reproduced in a variety of ways:
Dgunning at longer range than the laser range.
Dgunning through friendly units.
Dgunning through features.
Dgunning through terrain.

When a dgun command is given outside of dgunning range the commander might walk a little after it dgunned and then walk back again.

This was tested without enemy units nearby.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I couldn't open the file. Said wrong Spring version or corrupt download. I got spring 85.
83-something if the info in the .sdf can be believed.

Return to “XTA”