nexta - Page 2

nexta

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

knorke

Re: nexta

Post by knorke »

might be true but I don't know if XTA is a good noob game:
Nobody is really working on manuals, installer, easier XY and all that.
(and imo there is no use trying to catch up with zK)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Babbles did some work on manuals. There are manuals for how to learn to play, look at these pages:

http://springfiles.com/spring/other/xta-unit-guide-01

http://springrts.com/wiki/New_to_xta

http://springrts.com/wiki/Xta_commander

Sure, those could be better. But it's mais que nada...
babbles

Post by babbles »

you missed http://springrts.com/wiki/Xta_units

but they're all out of date.
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

2 versions of xta is not ideal, but the alternative to me seemed to be to watch as the game became a complete joke. Surely at least one good thing can be seen from my releases in that it has spurred dnw to start fixing the more obvious balance issues..
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If we look at the statistics XTA is effectively dead, if Tim wants to play Necromancer that's his choice, eitherway there's no way any harm can be done.
knorke

Post by knorke »

If we look at the statistics XTA is effectively dead
if we look at the statistics gundam gets played very day for multiple hours. :roll:
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

AF wrote:If we look at the statistics XTA is effectively dead, if Tim wants to play Necromancer that's his choice, eitherway there's no way any harm can be done.
If you look in the lobby you will see games of xta played more nights than not, which shows xta isn't dead. Either way you are a fucking idiot making pointless posts.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I apologise for posting in support of you, and remove the word 'effectively' in favour of 'absolutely' so that you may learn better manners, acquire a new dictionary, and actually pay attention to the post as it has a point in it that you've chosen to overlook.
danil_kalina

Post by danil_kalina »

XTA is alive )) I see someones are playing but I can't download XTA automatically. I should go to SpringFiles ... nah
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

My point was that XTA is pretty much at the lowest point it's ever going to get as it is and has been bobing along the bottom fo the sea floor for a while now.

Any attempt to liven XTA up by Tim is unlikely to introduce a grave digger to the equation.

Of course that has gone by completely as Tim decided to attack me instead after skimreading what I said.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Maybe we should split up the XTA factions in a popular front and a people's front too...
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

AF wrote:I apologise for posting in support of you, and remove the word 'effectively' in favour of 'absolutely' so that you may learn better manners, acquire a new dictionary, and actually pay attention to the post as it has a point in it that you've chosen to overlook.
The facts are changing because you got called out on the bullshit you are spewing? When I run out of words to describe what a dipshit you are then I will check a dictionary yeah thanks. Seems your lessons in better manners are failing eh :P
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

XTA is definately dead

dead in this context is talking about the avaliability of games: when there ceases to be at least one game always running during peak hours, a mod dies, because players come online, find no game, and go offline again - or play somthing else. XTA has been in that state for some time now - games are sporadic and getting one entails sitting in the lobby for long periods gathering players or sticking to 1v1s.

I wish you guys the best of luck getting it off the ground again, but its not a noob friendly mod and most of the old community is probably not coming back.. getting players again will entail bringing in new players, which is hard unless there is always a game running.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Just now I logged into lobby, saw 2 players in battleroom, 1v1 game started after 2 minutes.
While the game was in progress, more players joined:
I guess now next games will be 2v2 or so but I have to go afk for some crap.
That is how it often goes and even 4v4 games are not uncommon:

So yeah, always the same old players, some slowly stop playing and on some days simply nobody is online.
But if xta is "dead" then I do not know what is the correct term for some other games?
And sometimes there are even recent advances, like somebody made this bot or something.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

What XTA needs is a proper new release + announcement. There seem to always be these beta versions and spinoffs flying around but I have no idea what people are 'officially' playing.
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

luckywaldo7 wrote:What XTA needs is a proper new release + announcement. There seem to always be these beta versions and spinoffs flying around but I have no idea what people are 'officially' playing.
Totally agree. I have been kinda holding off while the releases get stable. I apologise for the 2 slightly (:P) bugged releases, an update is ready just looking at fixing a bug with the sniper looks like it tries to shoot before unfolding its gun and selfpwns :S

Anyway once we have a stable version and navy has been fixed to be less zzz then advertising would make some sense. I've always thought XTA was much easier to get into than BA and they are surviving just fine. We just need to convert the players bored with DSD :)
knorke

Post by knorke »

What XTA needs is a proper new release + announcement. There seem to always be these beta versions and spinoffs flying around but I have no idea what people are 'officially' playing.
While that is a bit annoying, existing players know how the get files (its on rapid now anyway and lobbies autodl). People new to spring are better off with zeroK or something like that.
We just need to convert the players bored with DSD :)
that might actually work though ;)

(btw it is 4 hours later now and people are still playing)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

The betas are fully functional and just as much playable as the major versions. It's just a matter of naming schematics. Some people may think it's silly, but then again, what about the latest spring version, which is named 85.0? Where are all the previous 84 versions?

Yeah, the sea needs fixing. Most easy solution would be to just scrap it all and implement the ba sea as replacement. Ba sea works quite well.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

While that is a bit annoying, existing players know how the get files (its on rapid now anyway and lobbies autodl). People new to spring are better off with zeroK or something like that.
You can't cite the problem as a barrier to a solution to the problem =p XTA lost its position as topdog because we lost all our new players down to say a handful per year.

I for one would be glad to see an XTA 10 rather than an XTA 9.679
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I would also see a spring 1.0 rather than a spring 85.0. But it's just a number. It's meaningless.

Return to “XTA”