New widgetfix required: cloak when ordered to

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

If the commander is reclaiming something then he will not cloak when ordered to. Imo cloaking should supercede reclaiming, so I guess we need a widget to fix that too.
knorke

Re: New widgetfix required: cloak when ordered to

Post by knorke »

you mean stop reclaiming when orderd to cloak?
I think it is a game/engine think that units decloak/do not cloak when shooting/doing other stuff.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yes, but if they are already shooting or reclaiming they should stop if ordered to cloak. As it is now the commander tries to finish the reclaim before he cloaks, even if given a cloak order.

Simply put, the cloak order should cancel the reclaim order. It is more important.
knorke

Post by knorke »

see if new command is cloak command (= CMD.CLOAK) :arrow: AllowCommand(), dont forgett to return true as not to accidently cancel the order

see if commander is currently reclaiming :arrow: GetUnitCommands

use GiveOrderToUnit with CMD.REMOVE cancel reclaim

something like this?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

yes and prob only for commander
ShineSmith

Post by ShineSmith »

whilst ur at it maybe fix vtol units decloaking commander as well? they fly in rang of decloak radius and make baby jesus cry. :cry:

So if that could be fixed, we could backtrack the experimental changes to vtol and get our old not so OP fighters back again :-)
knorke

Post by knorke »

planes decloaking stuff can not be fixed with widget, its something different.
ShineSmith

Post by ShineSmith »

NOW LOOK WHAT YOU DONE! :cry:
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

knorke wrote:see if new command is cloak command (= CMD.CLOAK) :arrow: AllowCommand(), dont forgett to return true as not to accidently cancel the order

see if commander is currently reclaiming :arrow: GetUnitCommands

use GiveOrderToUnit with CMD.REMOVE cancel reclaim

something like this?
I did it in UnitCommand callin instead, check if command is cloak command and if unit is commander.

However, there is no difference between cloak and decloak command it seems. You can't just check if unit is already cloaked, because there could be situations when the cloak command is issued but not yet active, for example if you just gave the order or if the unit is busy doing something. Because I don't wanna cancel orders on a decloak command too.

Otherwise I got it working by giving the CMD.STOP unless the active command is move, capture or self-d (things that don't decloak).
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Here's the widget.
Attachments
tp_forcecloak.lua
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

nice will upload it to wdb, shouldnt it be a gadget for xta, since i assume it should be the normal behaviour?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I don't think there is one agreed normal behaviour for xta. I do certainly think so, but otehrs may not.

It inserts a wait command for commander if he's doing something when ordered to cloak. That may also confuse some people.

The thing is, sometimes when you press cloak you mean it as a direct order, but sometimes you mean it as a state toggle (so that the commander should cloak when completed his construction project).
knorke

Post by knorke »

wait wait what?
commanders can shot/build/reclaim while cloaked?
i thought that was not possible.
not because of input/orders but because it was "not possible in the game world."
if you can really do stuff while cloaked, it should always be like that. (by gadget if need be)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

No, he can't build or do stuff while cloaked (only thing he can do is move or capture I think, and self-d). But if the commander is building an energy storage and is attacked by some nasty passion fruits, then you may want him to cloak before he has completed the construction, by just pressing "k".

That's what the widget does, it puts the construction on wait and cloaks the commander. It doesnt stop the whole queue; in case you had a long list queued you can just press "w" to cancel the wait (and cloak) and resume construction.
Last edited by Jools on 13 Aug 2011, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.
ShineSmith

Post by ShineSmith »

is attacked by some nasty passion fruits
lolz what the hell ?
pintle

Post by pintle »

After a certain game phase I often have my com permanently set to "cloak: on".

I think I personally would disbale this widget, more out of the habit of disliking "interfering" widgets directly ordering my units to do stuff than any concrete objection (I can see it being mildly irritating at worst).

What I think is a much bigger issue, in terms of accidental com decloak, is right clicking to move and accidently reclaiming: I'm pretty sure somebody made a thread or a widget or something along the lines of block com right click reclaim commands entirely, so this may be a redundant complaint.

Also, in other TA mods, units default to hold fire as soon as cloak:on is pushed, I presume this is implimented as a gadget, if so it could be worth using.

/offtopic ramble
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

ShineSmith wrote:
is attacked by some nasty passion fruits
lolz what the hell ?
We were discussing self defense against fresh fruit the day I posted this.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

pintle wrote:
I think I personally would disbale this widget, more out of the habit of disliking "interfering" widgets directly ordering my units to do stuff than any concrete objection (I can see it being mildly irritating at worst).
/offtopic ramble
I can understand that objection, but I made this widget for myself and decided to share it; after all the user interface preferences are subjective, and this widget is not for everybody.

About those other requests: there are widgets for them. Knorke made the disable right click reclaim, and I use a widget that sets hold fire on cloak. But the most important widget imo is the one that makes escape key deselect all units and exit all menues, because I use esc a lot to exit stuff.

Return to “XTA”