Not another Comm Morph thread...

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

babbles

Post by babbles »

At the moment, morphing isn't *needed*, not many people morph, and hardly any morph past the first level. The latter upgrades seem overpowered but hard to get to and people just don't bother.

As well as this, people see Commanders as overpowered in the first place, morphed or not.

How about, make morph something that you do as the game goes on. As in, instead of the Commander having stuff added to it, merely make it so it's able to keep up with the tech race. No added weapons, at least nothing ridiculous like insta-paralyse or insta-kill.

This may mean making Commanders slightly less powerful at the start (remove the D-gun and die). But if it was made so the Commander wasn't at a significant advantage during a battle, but also wasn't at a disadvantage, it may work.

Something which could also be added to this is the Advanced Lab system, been discussed before I know, but after first morph you can make Advanced Labs, would prevent newbies making the mistake. It'd also still allow double comm T2 rush, as one morphs and makes lab whilst other expands/reclaims.
Citrus

Re: Not another Comm Morph thread...

Post by Citrus »

+1
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

babbles wrote:This may mean making Commanders slightly less powerful at the start (remove the D-gun and die).
I think the d-gun and live is one of the greatest problems right now, don't make it permanent.

How about decreasing commander repair speed with 50%, and instead increasing it's HP with 100%?
pintle

Post by pintle »

[Standard post about Commanders needing to be identical, dgun "checkmate" being a core mechanic, and morphing being, imo, entirely unecessary]

I don't think there is a real need to remove t2 from vanilla com's buildlist (mav/peli 2 com rush anyone?) as there are many many other ways a noob can fail. Even with the TA method, I bet 90% of the tards you see making t2 air on 2 mex would do the same with their first con unit anyway.

I will reiterate what I have asked several times: Why should morph be included in XTA, what, specifically does it add to the game?
babbles

Post by babbles »

I mean D gun as a concept, not d gun and live, I want that removed but D-Gun to stay.

And if you look at what I said, I mentioned it should be done in a way that 2 players/comms can still rush mav/pelican whatever it just prevents it being done accidently.

And what does anything add to the game? It makes it different, people like it, if it can be refined I reckon it'll be a very good addition to the mod. Why does the game need Vehicles? Why not just make Kbots stronger, give them minelayers and be done with it.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

The morph adds a path to improve com instead of directing resources to labs or other units, and since *ta is comcentric it makes a lot of sense.
scifi

Post by scifi »

interesting i posted a similar idea in another thread didnt get mutch atention, anyways i hope this gets heard :wink:
Gota

Post by Gota »

I hope in the next version Noruas makes the coms' dgun even longer.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

When I think about it, I think it's not the d-gun that makes the commander strong, but his ability to build dt:s.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

without the dgun, most matches would end with some1 being overrun by a mass of peewees or flashes
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ive won and played plenty of games against players and AIs in XTA where Ive lost the commander early game and still managed to win without one, and Id be astonished if the current batch of Elite XTA players were incapable of winning without a commander
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ive won and played plenty of games against players and AIs in XTA where Ive lost the commander early game and still managed to win without one, and Id be astonished if the current batch of Elite XTA players were incapable of winning without a commander

If however you are correct, and the commander is necessary for the winning condition, then that is a a glaring sign that rebalancing is required.
pintle

Post by pintle »

AF wrote:Ive won and played plenty of games against players and AIs in XTA where Ive lost the commander early game and still managed to win without one, and Id be astonished if the current batch of Elite XTA players were incapable of winning without a commander

If however you are correct, and the commander is necessary for the winning condition, then that is a a glaring sign that rebalancing is required.
Com Dies, or Kill all Coms work great as a CB deterrent. I think 1v1 being balanced towards com kill works very well, and I like the decapitation strike aspect that kill all brings to team games.

Current comander being so OP vs units basically means that in a given lanepush or 1v1 situation, units + com vs 2x units without com, com player always wins, presuming competent play on both sides.
babbles

Post by babbles »

It's not that Commander is needed to win, it's that if the enemy has it and you don't, it's a lot harder to

I still reckon a possible fix to this would be to make the Commander to come increasingly strong as the tech does. so a player with a Commander vs no Commander army has an advantage but isn't invincible
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

pintle wrote:com player always wins, presuming competent play on both sides.
Or incompetent on both sides :).

I also like commander ends-games, we should play more of those to see if they really deter cb:ing. On the other hand, I also like commander continues ones, they are just different.
Deadnight Warrior

Post by Deadnight Warrior »

One rather twisted way to fix com d-gun and live is to make d-gun do no damage to commanders. So they have to duke it out with lasers.

And make the first morph require 0.02xp so that you need to kill as least 3 AKs/PWs in order to morph.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Deadnight Warrior wrote:And make the first morph require 0.02xp so that you need to kill as least 3 AKs/PWs in order to morph.
Unless you prevent unit sharing to enemies, the xp would need to be a non-trivial amount or you could do it with a few of your own units.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

remove morph---> XTA blows less bag
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

babbles wrote:At the moment, morphing isn't *needed*, not many people morph, and hardly any morph past the first level.
According to the first post (which also determines the topic of this thread), the problem seems to be that too few use the morph feature, so the solution would hardly be to remove it then, rather to boost its usage.
eyu100

Post by eyu100 »

pintle wrote:
Deadnight Warrior wrote:And make the first morph require 0.02xp so that you need to kill as least 3 AKs/PWs in order to morph.
Unless you prevent unit sharing to enemies, the xp would need to be a non-trivial amount or you could do it with a few of your own units.
I don't think you can get experience by attacking your own units (I tried).

Return to “XTA”