Disabling User Lua

Disabling User Lua

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Disabling User Lua

Post by Tribulex »

After a good discussion with Jools, I am thinking that disabling user lua may be beneficial to XTA gameplay. Namely, this will eliminate auto-micro, unit marking, and ghosted units. There is a very large amount of functionality in the code right now that makes these widgets obsolete:

DPS
XP icons
Group labels
Commander Name Tags
point tracker
message separator
all ui widgets
minimap widgets
formations
waypoint dragging
show all commands
a bunch of other ones i am forgetting
knorke

Re: Disabling User Lua

Post by knorke »

but i like my buggy commander health display thing :?
gaaaaaaaaay.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

well is it just exta ui u want? i am thinking of supporting UI modules, for UI related tasks. Also extra shaders :P

EDIT: Oh yeah the edges of the screen flash red when your com is under attack. Is this not satisfying enough?
knorke

Post by knorke »

i know they flash because it was my idea 8) 8) 8)
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21179
well, as long as it is not supercomplicated to set up and doesnt eat fps for a very simpel effect, i dont mind if you force a specific gui.
just not something like chili or whatever its called...
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

trust me, there is no fps hit (or slight fps hit if you turn on pretty blur effects in options), and it looks like sex. Im working making the unit pics look like sex to match, thats the biggest ugly right now.
babbles

Post by babbles »

I support the prevetion of other people's lua.

Damn Shift's Comm nap warning! lua spamming my screen every second it sees the same atlas, damn it to hell!
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

good
cox clan seem to be generally in favor, jools likes the idea too.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Yes. Userside widgets are gay
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yes, I'm in favour of restricting some widgets in practice, although in theory I tend to like to trust our users and let them make the smart choice for what they think makes the game fair and fun, and I think it would be better in principle to convince people not to use certain widgets than to force them not to. I also said I didn't think my view is in majority, people like automation.

But consider this point: with less automation, trees and obstacles become more important, since you actually have to see the unit (that's hiding there) with your own eyes. And that opens up for a more creative game play, which I think is good.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

-1, there should be easy way to bypass that function, i had long and good conversations with my nearly clanmate BD and in #CA, all told me thats easy to trick the system and that would lead to an unfair situation (ppl with luas and ppl with xta-luas) - its a lost war
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

you cant trick my system. gg
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

manolo_ wrote:-1, there should be easy way to bypass that function, i had long and good conversations with my nearly clanmate BD and in #CA, all told me thats easy to trick the system and that would lead to an unfair situation (ppl with luas and ppl with xta-luas) - its a lost war
Give everyone maphack then
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

maphacks dont have to do with lua.

This is about increasing the fun spirit in xta. If you use hacks your just not going to have as much fun.
pintle

Post by pintle »

manolo_ wrote:-1, there should be easy way to bypass that function, i had long and good conversations with my nearly clanmate BD and in #CA, all told me thats easy to trick the system and that would lead to an unfair situation (ppl with luas and ppl with xta-luas) - its a lost war
Anyone using cheating lua would be seen a mile off. And we would point at them and call them rude names.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

No.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

babbles wrote:I support the prevetion of other people's lua.

Damn Shift's Comm nap warning! lua spamming my screen every second it sees the same atlas, damn it to hell!
apsiks cloak com when gunships or atlas come within 600 of com widget was pretty sweet
babbles

Post by babbles »

nearly clan mate? are you considering leaving cow or something?

btw sheek, thanks for the justification. really helping the discussion.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

I think SA had outside widgets disabled, i could make it disable widgets if enabled, but off by default, so you can turn it on and disable additional widgets for serious battles or ladder games <_<
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Sheekel wrote:No.
why?

I see general support. Also com cloaking sounds nice but ultimately that is what I am fighting here, unit automation for noobs.

But modoption is a good idea. Just that people's gui lua will screw up my nice ui.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Noruas wrote:I think SA had outside widgets disabled, i could make it disable widgets if enabled, but off by default, so you can turn it on and disable additional widgets for serious battles or ladder games <_<
I think user widgets off should be the default. So that you play the same way in random games and serious games, but theres still the option to play unit automation games if someone really wants it.

Iirc SA has that option too.

Return to “XTA”