Get your act together - Page 5

Get your act together

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Re: Get your act together

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

@Gota
BS....
Go play OTA!!!!! to see how this works instead of coming up with stupid theories.
Surly this page is made for the thoughts of theories. Theres lots of talk about balance and gui and com morphs etc. If this isnt the place for such talk where is ?

The posted letter from Sheekel prompted my response, as did the comments of previouse posts. I thought this was brazenly clear ?
It does not slow down gameplay.
Your basically turning off an automated function. Its impossable to say it would not would impact micro capasity, on any player.
You just have to adjust los correctly for units and turrets since till now you didn't even notice it was there.
I do notice its there, i have played ota. Your implying the lack of automation would make little differance, as "i am unaware of its benifits" [exageration not quiotation] IF so it would be only to become accustomed to the feature & to naturally take advantage of it and its labour saving servaces.

If my frunt line has a guardian and some popups, and a player advances on my possition, i want my arty to fire as soon as possible to get more shots in the time frame. If i have to waist time manually targeting radar blips, the delay from firing will effect my maximum damage output. Meanwhile my static units are not moving to their correct possion fast enough. With automated targeting i can concentrate purely on my unit formation and placement.
Keep going in the same rout for even less players as oldfags like Pintle eventually leave.
Do NOT dissrespect vets, especially ones as articulate with the ways of rhetoric as Pintle :shock: Hes subitted many good arguments in forums before, and does not deserve such comments.
XTA is dying.if you have balls make a drastic change if you don't fall into oblivion and kill the mod,at least for spring.
My concepts appear to be so radical to stur up such a respons from you, i dont see how this can pass as anything else but "drastic". Its just an oppinion.
This has nothing to do with new models,that's a completely different decision and i actually support adding new models as long as they don't look completely off beat.
Giz
[with all new shiney models from sheekel that is] *hint* *hint*
Firstly, my comment was inside brackets, so yes it was slightly off topic but none the less highlighted as such. Secondly, Sheekel is a good modeler and I was urging him on to make models for xta. No where have i stated that i was against new models nor stated you were against such development. I dont understand what i said to provoke that response.

Im not flaiming here, just clearly explaining my train of thought which i assumed was clear. I hope this post expands on my previouse thoughts. And for the record i was only apposed to the radar function being forced on the player "standard game play" none optional.

Giz
"If the majority of people would like such radar changes, PLEASE only make it OPTIONAL in the battle room."

Surly im entitled to my own oppinion; as are you, yourself. I trust this post hasent been viewed as bashfull. :|
Infact i have a tool to unilaterally change such information [LOS] in the FBI files. Your welcome to a copy if you wish? I asked Napkin to make it for me when i was toying with the idea of XTA-Turbo [a faster top speed and faster acceleration vertion of xta] But that got took over by the dynamic mod options Noruas implimented.

Advanced appologies for any misstakes in the post, its 2am :o
mongus

Post by mongus »

dudes, the troll, dont feed him.

radar targeting, ... cmon you cant be serious.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

hope u dont mean I to be the troll? :?

cant be seriouse, how? whos side of the debate are you supporting ? you mentioned it might be a good idea earlier..iirc

[im sleepy now lol]
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

no he means Yan. he should be banned from xta forum imo. never plays it but wants it to change to meet his specifications so that he will play it.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

yan, you're not helping.
Gota

Post by Gota »

d_b wrote:no he means Yan. he should be banned from xta forum imo. never plays it but wants it to change to meet his specifications so that he will play it.
LOL jesus your trash...ill play xta versus you any time and whoop your ass,son.
I may be not the the best xta player but i have won the best at occasions and have played xta when you didnt even know what spring is so STFU noob.
You understanding of TA mods is a negative number.

now that im done with this arse hole let me address some serious stuff from gizmo.

1)
Not shooting at radar dots means that short ranged units have higher chances of inflicting more dmg.
It makes the use of long range weapons harder and they become less line breaking artillery and more support of assault units.
I'm noit sure under what conditions you played OTA but it is still played now and you can go and watch how such a change influances gameplay without doing any speculation.

2)
when i address Pintle as an oldfag it is not an insult but on the contrary.You are just no familiar with the Jargon.

3)
radical change meas going to the roots of the issues and seeing what went wrong and changing it.IMO XTA is very much OTAish but lacks some of the key features that made OTA gameplay grand.
for example,OTA sea is way better and imo it is because it actually has less units and it focuses more on using them correctly rather than focusing more on selecting WHICH unit type to use at every given moment.

OTA is hardly perfect and it's balance sux but in spite that it is still mega fun because it has gameplay features that are awesome(doesn't matter if they were created by mistake or intentionally,they are proven to be fun and survived the test of time).

There is nothing wrong in borrowing shit that is good,the entire rts world is built on it,hell humanity is built on using shit created by others to make your thing better.
Reinventing the wheel usually ends in a lot of wasted time.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

dunno who made (maybe sheekel or gizmo) it, but somebody tried to make a speed-up version of xta, so ba-user could play it, units move faster,... but he said its to hard to balance. but what i want is the 3rd faction (noruas :D ), heavy t3 and com-morph-tree. but before that we have to define whats xta:
-com-centered mod
-micro a lot
-....(?)

and i think in the same way as giz does, implement the los-radar-targeting as a feature, that could be enabled in the lobby, BUT as tribu said there is a widget to deal with that ... >_< ... so let the idea rest in peace
Gota

Post by Gota »

Listen less to tribulex is the conclusion.
It can be inserted as a modoption just fine along side a 3rd party widget lock mod option.
used in CA and in SA just fine.It's nothing new.
IF you want to listen to tribulex go ahead really...

XTA if you compare it to other mods is more com centered,and more about having less units thus being able to tinker with each one more.

I think that com morphing was a mistake and in XTA,compared to faster mods it is even less nessesary.
Remove com morphs remove the slow motion dgun,tone down visuals a bit,make subs play a smaller part in sea battles(and lower unit count in t1 sea),make sea,above water, defences tougher, and add a no radar blob targetting as a mod option.
This will make sea game more stable,will revert the crazy megacom gameplay and make the visuals look adequate.
Freshen up all the lua that comes with the mod,and stop making crazy game changes that are a result of some people just being bored as opposed to actually inspecting gameplay.
Promote more competitive gameplay.

Problem is that none of the so called XTA "fans" can be arsed to do any work on it,at all,even after playing it for years.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

im going to edit gota's post to suit my needs.
Gota wrote:Listen less to yan is the conclusion.
It can be inserted as a modoption just fine but 3rd party scripts will still be able to counteract this effect.
3rd party lua blockers are used in CA and in SA just fine, and both systems are easily bypassed.
IF you want to listen to yan (there is no where to go with this sentence)

XTA if you compare it to other mods is more com centered,and more about having less units thus being able to tinker with each one more. correct

I think that com morphing was a mistake and in XTA,compared to faster mods it is even less nessesary.
Now you just contradicted yourself. Re read your previous paragraph.

Remove com morphs remove the slow motion dgun,
WTF no dgun?

tone down visuals a bit,
Get a better pc

make subs play a smaller part in sea battles
Meh, okay.

(and lower unit count in t1 sea),
meh, but dont want it to get like nota

make sea,above water, defences tougher,
Possible contradiction, and also what makes sea so interesting is the war above versus the war below.

and add a no radar blob targetting as a mod option.
I think you are failing to comprehend my posts

This will make sea game more stable,will revert the crazy megacom gameplay and make the visuals look adequate.
Wait, unbalance sea toward surface units to balance it? Make coms stupid like in ba? Get rid of visuals so they look more "adequate"? Your argument is falling apart, yan, in face it sounds like you are creating ba or (even more likely) SA

Freshen up all the lua that comes with the mod,
Yes. also we could use a gui. i am halfway done with xta's fork of gewy.lua

and stop making crazy game changes that are a result of some people just being bored as opposed to actually inspecting gameplay.
lol. well sing is awesome imo

Promote more competitive gameplay.
What do you mean? XTA is one of the most competitive mods because we dont have many incompetent players

Problem is that none of the so called XTA "fans" can be arsed to do any work on it,at all,even after playing it for years.
And what are YOU doing for XTA? whining on forums? hmmmmmm
FaerieWithBoots

Post by FaerieWithBoots »

but before that we have to define whats xta:
-com-centered mod
-micro a lot
-....(?)
agree on the first, second comes with any decent rts ;-).

And because of your first point the commander should be usefull throughout the entire game on the battlefield. Morph enables the commander to fight higher level and bigger groups of units. So, keep morph! I have no problems with other 'forms' of morphing. (ie the sup-comm concept someone mentioned in here, it is worth a try).

To add to that list (most of it is obvious :P )
- com-centered mod
- micro a lot *1
- Relative small unit count ( < 100)
- Both T2 racing and T1 spamming are viable options in 1v1
- No linear progression on the techtree*2. Within each tech level there is no default unit to build. You allways have options.
- Kbots stand a decent chance against vehicles in a straight fight on any map.
- ota-concept of AA (love it or hate it but thats what XTA is)
- ...if the lost legacy expansion would be finished it will be a XTA-defining feature (only TA-based mod wit 3 factions)

*1The efficiency of your units should be drasticly increased with good micro, this is true for any mod, but in xta it is even _more_ important. Can we go as far as to say that good micro should win from good macro? Is the macro game really inferior to the micro game?

*2Compare to the BA's concept of going through jeffy->flash->stumpy. Dont get me wrong here i love BA as well ;-)
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

watch a player such as babbles. The micro game IS more important.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

Code: Select all

agree on the first, second comes with any decent rts ;-).
not really, look at the new SupCom2 trailer, i dont see mikro there (like in xta with run around units - maybe makro-mikro :D )

t can be inserted as a modoption just fine along side a 3rd party widget lock mod option.
there are enough posts that say that u could bypass that easily, so live with the radar-dots, maybe increase the efficiency of target facility or make them wooble a lot more

Post subject: Re: Get your act together Reply with quote
Listen less to tribulex is the conclusion.
It can be inserted as a modoption just fine along side a 3rd party widget lock mod option.
IF you want to listen to tribulex go ahead really...

XTA if you compare it to other mods is more com centered,and more about having less units thus being able to tinker with each one more.

i thought also that way, but now i like it, it give u more possibilities to start and xta is now com-based, so u should get even more possibilities (not just 1-2-3-4)
maybe, coz we had a really good dev-team
FaerieWithBoots

Post by FaerieWithBoots »

manolo_ wrote:

agree on the first, second comes with any [b]decent[/b] rts ;-).
not really, look at the new SupCom2 trailer, i dont see mikro there (like in xta with run around units - maybe makro-mikro :D )
note the word "decent" :P
Gota

Post by Gota »

Well all XTA needs now is AF or Tribulex releasing a new version :)
Can't wait.
pintle

Post by pintle »

I haven't completely given up on playing spring. I just started a new job, and am kinda playing an MMORPG atm... I will be back at some point.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

did u upgrade from micro- to minibrewery, if yes u know what to do :D
Gota

Post by Gota »

pintle wrote:I haven't completely given up on playing spring. I just started a new job, and am kinda playing an MMORPG atm... I will be back at some point.
What MMORPG?
pintle

Post by pintle »

Epic derail go: I play L2

I am leading a clan, a collection of some UKM, some other rl mates, and some friends from other L2 servers, plus a few randoms.

We play on a private server (higher xp rates and stuff+ it is free). It is looking like maybe 2/3 weeks before we start taking on the ruling monarchs/clans in mass pvp (Castle sieges), but based on what I have seen of the server, we have a good chance of becoming one of the dominant clans/alliances.

Should anybody want to play, PM me, I can give server details etc. There is obviously a place for springers in my clan, and I can sort you out with gear etc.

Rly tho... get XTA fixed for when I come back.

.... and play more S44!
Gota

Post by Gota »

CAn u tell me in short why this mmo is cooler than others?
pintle

Post by pintle »

Massive amounts of pvp everywhere.

Wow is for pvm fags.
GW is instanced/ghey.
All other mmo's other than UO are not worth mentioning.

Return to “XTA”