The Star Wars: Imperial Winter Eyecandy Thread [56k warning] - Page 2

The Star Wars: Imperial Winter Eyecandy Thread [56k warning]

A tense title presenting the period of frigid conflict under Imperial rule in the Star Wars universe at lightspeed.

Moderator: Content Developer

Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I can UV, and am willing to try my hand at texturing. Email me any models
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Excellent models!

Hmm, I sorta get the feeling that the starfighters etc look dull and dirty... o_O
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Dragon45 wrote:Hmm, I sorta get the feeling that the starfighters etc look dull and dirty... o_O
I've noticed that about a lot of the s3o models so far... it's gonna take a while for most of us to get used to the idea of UVmappering
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

It's how they looked in the movies though... the Rebels reused the same fighters through many battles.
smoth

Post by smoth »

SinbadEV wrote: I've noticed that about a lot of the s3o models so far... it's gonna take a while for most of us to get used to the idea of UVmappering
*cough* some of us don't have dirty and muddy textures*cough*
http://cs.selu.edu/~ssmith/spring/screen010.jpg
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

well i mean the dirt was over a lot of the starfighters, but they also had the occasional really shiny spot.

Look at Rogue Squadron games (GameCube) to see what I mean. They would really just throw off light off parts. The whole starfighter however looks dull grey here -_-

Not that I could do UVTexxing at all ythough :P
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Hmm, well, maybe throwing some reflectivity on would help? Just enough to get it shiny in places?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Even a green value of 1 will give an area some shininess. Strongly suggest using that on parts of windows, metal parts, etc., for a more realistic feel. And this mod is practically begging for glowmaps on detail areas to bring objects to life- things like a little glow on an R2's "eye" would be a very nice detail.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

http://wormhole.tauniverse.com/images/s ... een029.jpg
http://wormhole.tauniverse.com/images/s ... een030.jpg

Toying around with the shininess... the E-Wing and X-Wing have basically the same skin, so they make a nice comparison shot. I might try messing with the glowmap tomorrow, but it's 6 am and it's time to run to bed before Zsinj returns!!
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Dammit, missed him! ;)

#30 looks pretty good, but #29 could potentially cause recognition difficulties for users using Total War cameras (because of the 'glare'). Looks good though.

That reminds me, should we put landing gear on for aircraft, or is it just a waste of time for an insignificant detail?
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Waste of time? Trying to perfect the appearence of the most iconic starfighter of the Star Wars world? I don't think so!

I don't think it will matter much Zsinj; their sillohuettes are different.

Lookee here

Good shininess, maybe make the base texture a little lighter?
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I think that just has a far more advanced lighting system then we have available in Spring.
TheRegisteredOne

Post by TheRegisteredOne »

but notice its much cleaner texture
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I prefer a dirty texture, because the Rebel scum doesn't have the time or resources to spit clean their fighters.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Dipping through an atmosphere is enough to burn away dirt and rubbish as long as the ship itself doesnt get singed slightly.

Besides accelerating and maneouvering at those speeds is bound to dislodge dust and dirt.

And I think that the fighters wings are further apart in that shot than in the spring models, but thats because they're meant to open up more to look like that shot when maneouvering and attacking, but keep closed like the model when cruising/moving/not atatcking/landing.

Shall we be seeing blue shields on our droidekas and other assorted energy barriers from the movies?
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

But these ships have sheilds. The atmosphere burning prosses shoulden't touch them.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Shields dont affect everything.

Also whats to say they dont disable their shields on re-entry or allow the air to pass through?

And how do you explain that a rebel fighter newly built has managed to gain mounds of dirt all over it in the few milliseconds after being built. It'd have to be a scripted thing that fighters get dirtier as time goes by.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

These are all well and good points, AF.
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

AF wrote:And how do you explain that a rebel fighter newly built has managed to gain mounds of dirt all over it in the few milliseconds after being built. It'd have to be a scripted thing that fighters get dirtier as time goes by.
It's OBVIOUSLY because they didn't build it, they just teleported it to the battlefield from a stash of stolen fighters somewhere. Stolen, USED, dirty, falling apart fighters.

That was what I thought, anyway.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Yeah, it's not like we have any option but to use nanos at this time...

*hint hint nudge nudge*

We've been thinking of various ways to handle building units once we can disable nano effects, though. Some ways include simply having the units "fly" in from "other" bases rather than being built on the spot, or having them shuttled in from orbiting capital ships, or other things like that... at the very least, infantry need handled this way (barracks buildings creating men, even non-visibly, always seemed lame to me. You don't get trained at the battlefield, but having a forward barracks to stay at once you arrive isn't unheard of). We don't want to disable build-assisting though, so we'll need to think of some lame explanation as to why throwing more more con units at a factory will make units arrive faster...

And yeah, droidekas and units like that will have shields now. In fact, we're considering implementing invisible shields on all the aircraft that have them, but we need to playtest that a bit before keeping them. The GUI needs to report how much HP a shield has left...

Return to “Star Wars: Imperial Winter”