Incite for air sortie survival

A late World War II game which attempts to balance historical realism with a tactically complex model of battle.

Moderator: Content Developer

IllvilJa

Post by IllvilJa »

To avoid that air sorties that are approaching "end of fuel" are more or less sacrificed we can encourage players to let those planes survive and leave the battlefield alive.

One way to do it is to implement pilot combat experience, resulting in the "same" airplane reappearing in later air sorties with a the same, but more experienced, pilot. Multiple successive air sorties will feature the same pilots (as long as they are not killed) who become better and better. (This suggestion regarding experience has also been made on the Spring44 forums, BTW).

Another way to encourage airplane survival is to let the player get some command points back whenever an airplane returns alive once it has ran out of fuel and leaves the combat. Say that the US attack fighter sortie costs 4000 command points to call in. That gives the player two P47s to play around with for 3 minutes IIRC (two P47s loaded up to their gills with whatever necessary: autocannons, air-to-ground rockets, grave attitude problems etc). If one of those two airplanes survives the mission and manage to leave the combat, the player who commanded them in is rewarded with a "command point refund" of 500 points. If both planes survives the mission, a total of 1000 points are refunded.

That way, by ensuring airplanes survives the sorties (and are not carelessly sacrificed), the player can afford more frequent sorties. This also gives an additional incite for the enemy to down your airplanes, as you loose some command points due to the airplane never getting home again.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Re: Incite for air sortie survival

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Not that I've played S44 online in the last 24 months, but that second idea sounds far better then the first, being a concrete reward for players that I think would definitely work.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

The original idea was to increase the call-in times of aircraft that you lose. However, i also like the second suggestion here.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Yep, sounds good to me. I'll see about this/whether it would still be applicable after applying the fear system to aircraft (so AA can be effective deterrent without instagibbing).
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

That would add an interesting dimension to air combat. More macro.

Return to “Spring: 1944”