Where did non-8V8DSD players go?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

enium

Post by enium »

Hi,

I came back recently to BA but I only found a bunch of 8v8 DSD players. I remember a few years ago there was quite a good community, with several games running at the same time, especially including small games such as 3v3, 4v4, and even 1v1.

I mean I totally respect the players who enjoy 8v8, everyone can do what he wants anyway. But personally I dislike being forced to follow the team's lack of strategy (when you represent only 1/8 of the team you have no real weight on the strategy), which implies doing always the same thing. Even when these players are playing small games (only because there aren't always enough players to fill a 8v8 server) they play it as if it was a 8v8, forcing you to do the same.

So I was wondering, where did all normal BA players go? Is there a game somewhere with similar gameplay as BA but with a playerbase including RTS players who enjoy normal battles and not 8v8 PorcFest/EcoWhoring/Spam contests?
klapmongool

Re: Where did non-8V8DSD players go?

Post by klapmongool »

I'm one. Don't have alot of time lately due to irl though.

Am curious to hear if there are games that have drawn specifically those players.
smoth

Post by smoth »

A few years ago, it was still predominately 8v8dsd That map has been in prominence since well before "a few years ago"
MrCucumber

Post by MrCucumber »

Most left, I know I did. I loved anything that was 4v4 and under on pretty much any map but all I found for the last few months that I played was 8v8 and greater on the same pool of maps that were not made with the idea that there would be 16 players on the map. I moved onto Faf (Forged Alliance Forever) and Dota 2 for my gaming needs nowadays.

I actually happened to come back to the spring forums today to see if BA changed over the past year but seems like it did not.
knorke

Post by knorke »

It often needs active effort to get smaller games going, for example asking other players to join etc.
Just looking at battelist and joining some 3v3 like you could some years ago does not work so well anymore: it will likely not result in a match.
With zero-K it is similiar: Usually one big teamroom contains all the players.
The zK maprotation has better variation but otherwise situation is the same: Sometimes small games happen - sometimes they do not.
klapmongool wrote:Am curious to hear if there are games that have drawn specifically those players.
I would say maybe XTA. There is always the same group of players, usually playing 1v1 to 4v4 or FFA.
See channel #xta or semprini autohost at EU evenings - outside this time both will be empty though.
On some days nobody is online, but then at least you clearly know "no games today", and do not need to waste time with waiting ;)

If you keep an eye on BA,zK & XTA then you can somewhat tripple your chances of finding some decent matches. NOTA and Tech Annihalation also seem to have regular "non-8v8-dsd" games but both are already quite different from BA gameplay.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Where have all the non-8V8DSD playersgone, long time passing?
Where have all the non-8V8DSD playersgone, long time ago?
Where have all the non-8V8DSD players gone?
Young girls have picked them everyone.
Oh, when will they ever learn?

Where have all the young girls gone, long time passing?
Where have all the young girls gone, long time ago?
Where have all the young girls gone?
Gone for husbands everyone.

Where have all the husbands gone, long time passing?
Where have all the husbands gone, long time ago?
Where have all the husbands gone?
Gone for rts-general everyone

Where have all the rts-generals gone, long time passing?
Where have all the rts-generals gone, long time ago?
Where have all the rts-generals gone?
Gone to godde, everyone.

Where have all the goddes gone, long time passing?
Where have all the goddes gone, long time ago?
Where have all the goddes gone?
Gone to lurk for non-8V8DSD players, everyone.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

I went for a beer
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

knorke wrote:Just looking at battelist and joining some 3v3 like you could some years ago does not work so well anymore: it will likely not result in a match.
With zero-K it is similiar: Usually one big teamroom contains all the players.
Perhaps it would be useful to introduce a new match making system. Or at least a spec limit so players will go on another server. Since 95% off all matches are on dsd I would also appreciate a limitation, like "only 1 dsd match every 2 hours" or so. It's a quite drastic idea, but this reruns really pisses me off by now.

Actually, I don't think this is the only problem BA currently has. There are pretty much trolls around, I get offended nearly every day (often because I don't play on dsd like others silently want me to 'play', resulting in insults by a small group of players). New player are noticing that or get hurt themself and drop off.
From my point of view, the BA community is disassembling itself.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Sereiya wrote:Since 95% off all matches are on dsd I would also appreciate a limitation, like "only 1 dsd match every 2 hours" or so. It's a quite drastic idea, but this reruns really pisses me off by now.
If someone violates this rule and hosts a DSD game, ban them from the spring server?
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

CarRepairer wrote:
Sereiya wrote:Since 95% off all matches are on dsd I would also appreciate a limitation, like "only 1 dsd match every 2 hours" or so. It's a quite drastic idea, but this reruns really pisses me off by now.
If someone violates this rule and hosts a DSD game, ban them from the spring server?
Of course not, It's just an idea out of huffishness. Everyone who's hosting a SPADS with BA would need to cooperate.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Or at least a spec limit so players will go on another server.
This was tried for a long time in the past and the only effect it had was to reduce the number of spectators (without increasing the number of players).
Since 95% off all matches are on dsd I would also appreciate a limitation, like "only 1 dsd match every 2 hours" or so. It's a quite drastic idea, but this reruns really pisses me off by now.
All the major hosts now have automatic map rotation after each game, so essentially all games played on DSD (and on the other highly popular maps; Tabula, Folsom, etc) are played there because a (>66%, iirc) majority of players voted for them.

Your 95% figure is roughly double the real %, see many previous threads.

I'm sorry you don't like the most favoured map, but it's more important to me that distribution of maps that gets played reflect the general distribution of what players want, and at the moment I believe it basically does.

The next version of BA (which will be released with the next version of Spring) will contain a widget where specs can view the status/playercount of currently running battles outside of the one they are watching. This might help alot with setting up small games.
Perhaps it would be useful to introduce a new match making system.
Any matchmaking system would need to be server wide and it wouldn't be an easy task to make one, but I'd encourage anyone with the ability to try, since it is something Spring, in general, needs. For now people wanting non-ubiquitous game types will just have to talk to each other!
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Silentwings wrote: The next version of BA (which will be released with the next version of Spring) will contain a widget where specs can view the status/playercount of currently running battles outside of the one they are watching. This might help alot with setting up small games.
That sounds great!
albator

Post by albator »

Mostly this:
Johannes wrote:I went for a beer
But also this has not been really solved and was a game breaker for me, also there was no real answer to that post :
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... or#p544985

Also, this http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 10#p557691 . Then I wanted to play NOTA (that I used to) and CA but i dont cause I use linux and statics are freacking slow:

Overhall, the game is just different - and that both engine/mod related - and I don't enjoy it anymore (just as much as red alert)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Yeah, the 8v8DSD is what drove me away along with many others I imagine. DOTA2 for me now.
RageQ

Post by RageQ »

enium wrote: So I was wondering, where did all normal BA players go?
8v8DSD
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

What I just noticed: When it comes to defamations, it's on DSD most of the time.
Herr_Peepenshmirtz

Post by Herr_Peepenshmirtz »

Smaller ta like games are alive on FAF.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”