Set Target Default widget

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

Zonk wrote: -Set Target Default:
Name says it all.
can you provide a link to this widget?

edit: split from http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=32201
Silentwings

Re: Best BA widgets / Most useful key commands.

Post by Silentwings »

It's already in BA, default off.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Silentwings wrote:It's already in BA, default off.
What does it do and how can we edit it?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/trac/balates ... target.lua

It replaces the default command, normally attack, with set target. Like all widgets, you can't edit it directly but you can replace it locally by placing a copy of it in your spring/luaui/widgets directory & you can then edit your local copy.
klapmongool

Re: Set Target Default widget

Post by klapmongool »

oooh, this is 'Y'?

Going by the name i thought it might set targeting preferences like whether to shoot a flea or a sniper as an anni.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Yep, the hotkey for the command set target command is "y".

The anni already has a preference not to shoot at scouts (as do all t3 units and all t2 def), but for the moment that is only a preference feeding into the engines default targetting code. It is possible to control target priority explcitly with the AllowWeaponTarget callin, and it will probably be implemented through that at some point in the future, but its not a priority (at least, not for me) right now. Feel free to start designing a system, I'd be interested to see ideas.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Silentwings wrote:Yep, the hotkey for the command set target command is "y".

The anni already has a preference not to shoot at scouts (as do all t3 units and all t2 def), but for the moment that is only a preference feeding into the engines default targetting code. It is possible to control target priority explcitly with the AllowWeaponTarget callin, and it will probably be implemented through that at some point in the future, but its not a priority (at least, not for me) right now. Feel free to start designing a system, I'd be interested to see ideas.
Aight. Yea, would be nice to have the option to set your own default target preferences sometime in the future. Don't have time or skill to do that myself though.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Sure, but you (or others) may have ideas for exactly what options you'd like to have. I'm not expecting code.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Might be time to split this topic, again. I was thinking about the ability to set preferences of targets for the normal fire mode. Like for a sniper/pene:

flea 10
peewee 20
stumpy 30
t1 porc 40
can/zeus 90
sniper 100
pene 100
crawling bomb 110
t2 porc 120

More interesting would be a separate fire mode (an extra one next to 'fire at will', 'return fire' and 'hold fire'). You could completely exclude units from being optional targets in that mode. For example excluding scouts as a target for sniper/penetrator/bomber(some people set bombers to patrol as a means of perimeter defense). That way you can chose to use that mode in some heavy scout spam situations while in 'normal' situations you'd just want your preferred targets list applied (which includes scouts but on a low priority) so you don't get overrun.

PS. Ofc this would only increase the gap between skilled players and less skilled players/new players further. Unless the basic settings would be pretty good already.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”