Limit D-Gun range

Limit D-Gun range

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Fuel

Limit D-Gun range

Post by Fuel »

What is the setting name, i.e !set ???

I tried to use
!list settings all
but it didn't show it

I almost lost my commander the other day because of this setting.
My commander was attacked by few enemy warriors and it almost got killed.
I was lucky the enemy didn't make a line formation with the warriors, I would had no chance.
Also, it was very confusing, I had just dgun'ed few moments ago (when I was outside of enemy's start box) and it wasn't working anymore.

Crippling the commander in this way is a serious and bad change.
It reminds me of times where some hosts had air or buzzsaw\vulcan disabled. It makes no sense.

I don't think I will ever play small team games with this setting on.

I know this is an attempt to solve commander drop but I think it's a bad solution.
Instead, how about:
whenever an enemy commander is approaching, if I have a radar and AA range for both is increased by 25% (which is huge on some maps).
By 'approaching' I mean the enemy's transporter has the move target within the radar's increased range.
Or something similar to this idea.
Fuel

Re: Limit D-Gun range

Post by Fuel »

Here's another similar scenario with mine which just happened

http://replays.springrts.com/replay/f7d ... c1cdf4421/

Some time in the game (around minute 20 or so) klap realizes he cannot dgun :)
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

watched replay. He discovered dgun limit from 9 to 10 min
I never played with that option but I dislike it too :-)
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

It was introduced as an mod option. Don't know how to disable it host-side though.. Who knows the command?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

You can use this fancy dialog to control mod options in SPADS hosts.

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Question: How is that warp effect for the D-Gun archieved?

I looked into the Lups manager and into the D-Gun Weapon definition and still dont have a clue..
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Pica, if you mean the DGun visual effect, I think its hardcoded in the engine and I have no clue either!

As to the Limit DGun modoption, I won't judge it on basis of "stupidly" losing coms due to no DGun after walking over the line. I don't think thats a steep learning curve. I'd rather wait a see it played for a while (its current incarnation has been inside BA since 6+ months ago, but only saw it used recently) before I judge it.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Maybe having a visual indication that d-gun is disabled (such as a ( / ) over comm right arm or something) would help with the issue of finding out too late you stepped out of d-gun range?
Kapytii

Post by Kapytii »

Its very very good.

Only it wouldnt have to last the entire game, just the first 10-15 mins of the battle. AND should not be applied to a commander that walks to enemy line.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Maybe having a visual indication that d-gun is disabled
There is already a line drawn on the map. I did plan to add some extra visual indication when dgun was selected but not viable but didn't get around to it.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

I dislike the solution altogether but this
Kapytii wrote:Only it wouldnt have to last the entire game, just the first 10-15 mins of the battle.
would be only fair. After all, wasn't the justification that the combomb 'weapon' was too powerful to have right from the start?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Silentwings wrote:Pica, if you mean the DGun visual effect, I think its hardcoded in the engine and I have no clue either!

As to the Limit DGun modoption, I won't judge it on basis of "stupidly" losing coms due to no DGun after walking over the line. I don't think thats a steep learning curve. I'd rather wait a see it played for a while (its current incarnation has been inside BA since 6+ months ago, but only saw it used recently) before I judge it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsC0cwb ... WR-Y08AsGA

So this is really hardcoded into the engine?

PS: I tried setting my strider weapon to d-gun. Result it produces one little fireball that hovers in the air indefinatly. Not the sort of stuff i was looking towards.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

klapmongool wrote:the combomb 'weapon' was too powerful to have right from the start?
No - some version of Limit Dgun range has always been available, but the reason the current incarnation exists is that the old one which comes in basecontent can't handle non-square maps well so (about 6 months ago) I rewrote it with one that could be used for anything.

I dislike the "remove after x minutes" option (which afaik has never existed) & related variants because it would have very different effects on different maps / gametypes.
Pica wrote:So this is really hardcoded into the engine?
Yep, as far as I know that dgun fireball effect is created by the engine. If your epic skillz can recreate it gameside somehow then I would love to know how :)
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Silentwings wrote:
klapmongool wrote:the combomb 'weapon' was too powerful to have right from the start?
No - some version of Limit Dgun range has always been available, but the reason the current incarnation exists is that the old one which comes in basecontent can't handle non-square maps well so (about 6 months ago) I rewrote it with one that could be used for anything.

I dislike the "remove after x minutes" option (which afaik has never existed) & related variants because it would have very different effects on different maps / gametypes.
Actually I had to remind people on these forums that there used to be a dgun limit option in the past. We played BA for years without it. As far as I understood from you in lobby you weren't aware of that either. In that light it does not seem plausible that the reason you made the new one was because the old one couldn't handle non square maps. Also, there being a deprecated option in the past is no reason to implement it now.

Anyway.

@CarRepairer: I don't know how to access that menu. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know a ! command for it?
Last edited by klapmongool on 20 May 2014, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

As far as I understood from you in lobby you weren't aware of that either. ... Also, there being a deprecated option in the past is no reason to implement it now.
The 'old' version was never deprecated or removed, it was present up until the moment that I reworked it into the new version. Moreover your "now" was (iirc) over half a year ago. I've always known it was there & I've no memory/chatlog of a conversation with you about it, although I do have too many conversations to remember them all.
In that light it does not seem plausible that the reason you made the new one was ...
That's a sad statement based on an incorrect assumption. In fact, the new version (in both of its modes, on any sane map) results in Dgun being denied in a smaller region of the map than the old one did.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

I guess we both remember different histories.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

klapmongool, I was showing off that weblobby has the functionality to control SPADS (and Springie) mod options with a dialog. The benefit of which is you don't have to search or memorize commands in the !help nor enter them on the command line.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

CarRepairer wrote:klapmongool, I was showing off that weblobby has the functionality to control SPADS (and Springie) mod options with a dialog. The benefit of which is you don't have to search or memorize commands in the !help nor enter them on the command line.
Showing off weblobby huh :P I guess it does deserve it. Not bad at all.

Well, I'm sticking to TASclient (it has been getting multiple updates past month) so I guess I have to !command

Nixtux gave me a pretty link for this: http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/trac/balates ... ptions.lua
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

???

There is a tab in tasclient with modptions. It should be there, just select it from there.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Jools wrote:???

There is a tab in tasclient with modptions. It should be there, just select it from there.
Yes, that tab is in. But I cannot change anything there. Got 'Bot admin' status on the host. I guess you have to actually own the host for that to work?

The '?' (information button does provide information on what it does and what the settings are (Off, Start points, Start boxes) but does NOT provide the command itself. (Which is !limitdgun for those who didn't follow the link)

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”