Fix to Commanders not spawning (-> outdated BA version)

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

knorke

Post by knorke »

After way too many "commanders do not spawn" questions in chat, maybe finally found reason:
<n0_0x> err, when i start a game, everything seems to work except no commander shows up. any ideas why? (spring 0.96 on linux; tested with current BA, and some previous versions too)
<n0_0x> here: http://fxkr.net/infolog.txt
<n0_0x> (who needs a pastebin ;)
<[2up]knorke> that is not current BA version
<[2up]knorke> [f=0000000] Using game: Balanced Annihilation V7.71
<[2up]knorke> current is 7.91
<[2up]knorke> it doesnt work because BA version you have is for older engine version..use lobby to dl newest BA
<n0_0x> well, maybe SOMEONE should update the download link on http://balancedannihilation.org/download/
<n0_0x> it points to v7.71
<[2up]knorke> all sites except springrts.com are unofficial
<n0_0x> well, its linked from http://springrts.com/wiki/Games
Silentwings

Re: Fix to Commanders not spawning

Post by Silentwings »

As far as I know, none of the BA devs have access to change that site :(

It would best if the link pointed to http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=44 (the BA forum). The topic at the top of the forum will always be the latest version.

I've updated the link on the wiki. Also added a "this version is out of date" message to all the old version on springfiles that I could.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Re: Fix to Commanders not spawning

Post by dansan »

Silentwings wrote:As far as I know, none of the BA devs have access to change that site :(
Afaik Zorro (marciolino) is the maintainer of the site. I have sent him a PM about the link and asked him to appoint another maintainer, if he doesn't have time to update the site.
knorke

Re: Fix to Commanders not spawning (-> outdated BA version)

Post by knorke »

and it continues and site not updated :?
<R_Mastermind> anyone know how to fix this error, at start of every game we our main robot turns into "start 1" and "start 2" signs...
Imo such third party sites or profiles (indiedb, facebook etc) are not good idea...they always all become unmaintained after a few weeks.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

knorke wrote:Imo such third party sites or profiles (indiedb, facebook etc) are not good idea...they always all become unmaintained after a few weeks.
Imo there should just be a policy that there is >1 maintainer and/or full read access.
So for example if a new barc.com site appeared, then for example the current BARC dev should have the administrative privileges to appoint additional maintainers.
Additionally full read access should be granted to someone trusted, so the site can be rebuild if the maintainer gets lost.
To pat myself on the shoulder: abma pulls every day a complete file and database dump of the replays.springrts.com website. If I would be hit by a car, then the site could easily be setup somewhere else.
In the case of balancedannihilation.org there would be the problem of the domain. That's why additional maintainers should be appointed.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

<R_Mastermind> anyone know how to fix this error, at start of every game we our main robot turns into "start 1" and "start 2" signs...
To be fair - that could be any game, some of which afaik don't have 95/6 compatible versions.

I've emailed marciolino and changed the links on the wiki, but there's nothing more I can do; none of us have access to the site! Sorry.

edit: Marciolino replied to say he would give us access to the site - thanks!
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

He gave me editor permissions. I updated the link and the news on the homepage, added the BA changelog. I'll keep this up2date with BA releases from now on.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”