All the good players? - Page 3

All the good players?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

luckywaldo7

Re: All the good players?

Post by luckywaldo7 »

smoth wrote:I.. I..
luckywaldo7 wrote:There is a 1v1 scene, its just shy. If you pm me in the lobby I'll give you some games.
What was the joke? ...

WHAT WAS THE JOKE !!??
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

The 1v1 community died when rAndy and Day left. The decent players have been dropping since then.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

There is still good ZK 1v1.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Jazcash wrote:Every now and then I feel like coming on just to see how things are doing. It's always too much effort getting stuff to work every time though. Every lobby or engine update gives me some new kind of problem and eventually I just give up.
When longtime players like Jazcash have trouble getting the game to work, imagine how bad it is for new players. (hint, read this: http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/spring-rts.html)
With this in mind all other arguements like "the game is not perfectly balanced", "the autohost admins suck", "we need automatic tourneys" seem quite silly.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Tim-the-maniac wrote:The 1v1 community died when rAndy and Day left. The decent players have been dropping since then.
As if decent players didn't leave before them, or start after them just as well. Or that the ones who left since then would've left as a direct consequence of that...
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

Maybe "decent players" just means good players that you know. If you don't play anymore how could you say there is no decent players?

Ok maybe it is true, but then why there is no decent players? Why new players can't become decent players?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

knorke wrote:When longtime players like Jazcash have trouble getting the game to work, imagine how bad it is for new players. (hint, read this: http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/spring-rts.html)
  • BA
  • Linux
It is much much easier with:
  • ZK
  • Windows
  • What is an engine version I'm just a player?
Follow the example, this has been said so often, someone has to make BA an installer!!! Also automate engine builds for Linux, and get BAR.
LulzTyphon

Post by LulzTyphon »

Google_Frog wrote:
knorke wrote:When longtime players like Jazcash have trouble getting the game to work, imagine how bad it is for new players. (hint, read this: http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/spring-rts.html)
  • BA
  • Linux
It is much much easier with:
  • ZK
  • Windows
  • What is an engine version I'm just a player?
Follow the example, this has been said so often, someone has to make BA an installer!!! Also automate engine builds for Linux, and get BAR.
heh I'm on windows 7 and I couldn't get ZK set up

the lobby autodownloader wasn't working for me

downloaded the ZK .exe but that didn't even give me the game so I had to ask someone for a direct link to the game to put it in the games folder

then I had to manually download a bunch of maps which seems a lot harder than it used to be because the search functions on all the storage sites seem to just fail, every map I searched just gave me a long list of old versions etc

after that I got ingame to find soo many ridiculously annoying widgets all up in my face so I automatically spec'd and had to sort through them all and turn most of them off

one thing I noticed was that the game was for some reason 15fps constantly but I couldn't work out why

i mean my settings were already fairly low but I left, set them to minimum

got back in game to find that all the widgets had returned to fucking default and it was still 15fps

that combined with the fact that autodownloader wasn't working and I couldn't be bothered to try and remember exactly what all my keybinds were and re-set them all just made me say "fuck it"

probably would have been x10 more annoying for a new player tbh
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

What is the autodownloader and did you expect "ZK.exe" to download such that SL could use it?

Long story short; you are not the target audience because you have too much outdated and conflicting knowledge. Your assumptions about how to setup and play spring games caused to to over think the process. If you just downloaded and ran "ZK.exe" everything would work fine and you would not have touch any folders or move files around.

New players don't have the sense of UI entitlement that spring widgets have created in it's players. No one here is happy unless the UI is exactly what they are used to using for the past few years. It not perfect but I've found asking for feedback here is no longer that useful.
LulzTyphon

Post by LulzTyphon »

Google_Frog wrote:What is the autodownloader and did you expect "ZK.exe" to download such that SL could use it?

Long story short; you are not the target audience because you have too much outdated and conflicting knowledge. Your assumptions about how to setup and play spring games caused to to over think the process. If you just downloaded and ran "ZK.exe" everything would work fine and you would not have touch any folders or move files around.

New players don't have the sense of UI entitlement that spring widgets have created in it's players. No one here is happy unless the UI is exactly what they are used to using for the past few years. It not perfect but I've found asking for feedback here is no longer that useful.
what do you mean what is the autodownloader, wtf u think it is?

I did just download and run ZK.exe, like I said it didn't do the job, something about my uni network, it doesn't automatically download maps/games and once in game any newb would cry about the default widget set up, you literally aren't allowed any space on the screen to even see the game, you just get over 9000 useless widgets thrown in your face

but at end of day it was the low fps that killed it, someone told me there was some kind of engine update that ruined people's fps. Therefore making it unplayable
smoth

Post by smoth »

luckywaldo7 wrote:
smoth wrote:I.. I..
luckywaldo7 wrote:There is a 1v1 scene, its just shy. If you pm me in the lobby I'll give you some games.
What was the joke? ...

WHAT WAS THE JOKE !!??
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Yeah, exactly like that. :3
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

What Sheep said, and if I'm totally honest, I've always found BA a lot easier to get running than ZK. Something like Kernel Panic however I always manage to get up and running with ease, I can't ever remember having any problems with KP, or even Evo or Gundam.

Anyway, this is off-topic. I think ultimately, a lot of the good-players left because they either got bored of the same, or bored of no challenge.

knorke wrote: With this in mind all other arguements like "the game is not perfectly balanced", "the autohost admins suck", "we need automatic tourneys" seem quite silly.
This exactly.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

I totally understand that BA is hard to setup for a newbie. But tbh I have no idea how you (as an experienced player) did manage to not get it running anymore nowadays.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

very_bad_soldier wrote:I totally understand that BA is hard to setup for a newbie. But tbh I have no idea how you (as an experienced player) did manage to not get it running anymore nowadays.
It's not so much BA, it's mainly the lobby and bits and bots like keybinds, widgets, settings etc. Don't get me wrong, it's a hell of a sight better than how bad it used to be. I remember when every engine update used to break everything for a good couple of days and we all had to use a backup server for a while.
smoth

Post by smoth »

The problem seems to be that you are running into a lot of issues restoring your particular setup.

Also the version of spring 2-3 versions ago would crash when you had an old config.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

smoth wrote:The problem seems to be that you are running into a lot of issues restoring your particular setup.
Yeah, this is pretty much it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

so I am assuming:

Old spring setup
upgrade spring

shit breaks?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

That, and trying to get a similar setup working on my laptop as it is on my desktop is very difficult.

I can't blame anyone for the bugs. We're only a small community and testing on a range of different setups is very difficult. For companies, it's a lot easier to test and a lot of companies even have the cash to put together bug testing teams whose sole role is to hunt down and identify bugs on different platforms, machines and setups.

So when it comes to me wanting to use TASClient, it's no wonder it doesn't work half the time when its only leg to stand on is Satirik. I'm in no way implying Satirik isn't up to the job, I'm simply saying that he has to make TASClient fit around the engine, maps, lobby/server protocol etc - alone. It's a one way system and the constant task of having to keep TASClient updated to everything's liking is impossible to keep up.

The same goes for most of Sprng's sole-developer applications/projects and as soon as that one developer decides to take a holiday or leave altogether, things start crumbling. Currently, Spring appears to just be a string of lots of individual applications and systems that depend on one another to function.

There is no official standard or guideline and so we have tons of different lobbies that do near enough the same thing, two different autohost systems, a couple different file-hosting sites, many different *A mods/games, different forums and probably many more different things that have the same goal.

If instead there were just one application/system for each then people's efforts would go a lot further. The problem is, when people start complaining that they miss certain things about old systems and people can't come to an agreement about how things should be done. That's when they decide to make their own.

There's a lot more I wanted to say but I feel I'm probably talking a lot of bullshit and it's again, nothing related to the topic.
albator

Post by albator »

Jazcash wrote:
very_bad_soldier wrote:I totally understand that BA is hard to setup for a newbie. But tbh I have no idea how you (as an experienced player) did manage to not get it running anymore nowadays.
It's not so much BA, it's mainly the lobby and bits and bots like keybinds, widgets, settings etc. Don't get me wrong, it's a hell of a sight better than how bad it used to be. I remember when every engine update used to break everything for a good couple of days and we all had to use a backup server for a while.
Yeah for each version you need to:
-reconfigure your settings: mouse scrolling not working the same way, different GPU setting to avoid crash (this is totally random) : ofc everyone will blame ATI except I dont have pb with other game). manually set command like "/disticon 85" cause range in GUI is too low

- reconfigure key binding: this is already a mess with french keyboard, but when flag are changing that is just a mess

- reconfigure BA.lua : basically look for the appropriate widget you used to play with. Filter the useless widget that make the game ZEROK-ish

- reconfigure lobby : i make a clean install each time or I experience too much instability with TAS, waitting for TAS to load my 20GO map folder :D , channel, friend, layout

This first 4 steps take me usually >~ 10 hours (ofc i start to play before)

Then come the bugs that are the least of my concern except for last version, but still epsilon wrt. other stuffs.

Some will argue i dont need widget/keybind to play.... well that is why i play 256v256 dsd now, i dont need them for those kind of game.

Stability is the key...

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”