DSD

DSD

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

DSD

Post by Forboding Angel »

http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... elta-siege

It's compatible with *A (depends upon "Spring Features").

I went to the effort of fixing the vehicle pathing for *A. (the heightmap had a lot of silly flaws actually, which I fixed).

Maybe this will help convince Behe and co to hurry up with bar!
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 10 Mar 2012, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
klapmongool

Re: DSD

Post by klapmongool »

Forboding Angel wrote:
Maybe this will help convince Behe and co to hurry up with bar!
Why? Is DSD gonna be blocked in BAR?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

No. DSD original is fugly, and really bad in a lot of way, but it also ahs a lot of promise. It plays really well in evo, so i decided to make my own version. I figured since I was playing around with the heightmap I might as well fix it for *A peoples as it's not like it takes me any extra time.

So yeah. Besides, this delta siege is super pretty. Less baw about the most played map if visually it isn't made out of pure suck.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Just couple things:

1. Spring features dependency is problematic. It is not included in engine (yet? I suppose you are kinda campaigning it to be inlcuded), so it means people have to dl it separately. It maybe good for EVO players, but not good for general. For mappers it also kinda 'locks' the features as I myself, for example, usually customize my features according the map.

2. Your specular map fails. Currently it's just a minimap? of your map, which causes your map shine in very bad way. North cliffs for example are all white... You should make your specular maps almost black, unless you want 'plastic' looking specularity.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

1. If the map is chosen on an autohost, the lobby will grab the dependency as well.

2. Mappers aren't forced to use it, also, you can depend on spring features and override specific features in your map, same as you always have.

3. I do the specular maps like that on purpose. It isn't a minimap proper, it's a minimap with some photoshopping of the light. Notice that the sides of the hills get the most, blah blah blah. Other games do overly specular maps like that pretty often, and overall, it's generally seen as a benefit. Season to taste.

4. Actually I haven't even considered it being included with spring, but that would be a good idea.

5. This was made for evo so it doesn't do a heck of a lot of good to make a big deal out of small details.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Isn't this a bit overkill of specularity?
Makes the map look plastic.
Attachments
ok.jpg
(590.16 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

No I don't think it's out of the ordinary for video games and not out of the ordinary for this map in particular.

Adds vibrancy (see: life). It's a cheap visual that works *shrug*
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

did you do anything about the unequal starts / mexes / cliff trickery that makes this map unbalanced?

texture looks very nice but i'm with with artturi's opinion in that it's really, really shiny, like someone put urethane over the whole shebang to preserve it

edit: (but if that's the look you want, then you got it)
knorke

Post by knorke »

in bottom right one mex can cover 2 spots.
no visible metal spots.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well, when it comes right down to it, it's all lua, so you can extract it, rename it in mapinfo.lua and pretty much change whatever you like about it.

Don't forget, this might not be planet "earf", however, it is odd that the same foliage grows across so many different planets eh? :-)

@kaiser? I was under the impression that it was unbalanced yet still balanced. Amirong? Also, the look is intentional.

@knorke, the extractor radius here is the same as regular dsd (100), so dunno what to tell you. Evo doesn't actually extract metal so that's a pretty low priority for me. Wrt metal spots, there's a widget for that.

@SirArtturi, why don't you just take this and make a specific one for BA?

Oi, give people a cake and they can't help but tell you how good it tastes :lol: :wink:
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Forb, this is great... thx. Now all we need is autohosts who deprecate the old version.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Oi, give people a cake and they can't help but tell you how good it tastes
i think offering us a glass of water distilled from old urine is a better example. i don't mind it, it's refreshing, i'll have more, but there's still a slight tinge of ammonia. 8)

but yeah the imbalances i mentioned are *A related... evo allterrains effectively kills the issue. so dun' warry.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

SirArtturi wrote:Image

Isn't this a bit overkill of specularity?
Makes the map look plastic.

Realism, ha, you like that! Ha? Well, we had it to real in here for quite a long time. Well, fuck Realism.

You know, even the stuff that is usually refered to as the new standard of realism, is just hollywood realism. Polished.Shiny.

Mark the spots that look like plastic on this picture. And then you see why "Photorealism" died a long time ago. In the realworld camo works.. thats why its not fun beeing a soldier. In the real world, if you have fog and everything is greenish/brown, you are fucked, those are the great moments were the soldiers line up, everyone grabs the before going guys shoulder and through the wood march the up-to-no-goods.

Realism. In. Games. Never. Existed.
And. Never. Will.
And. Demanding. It. Is. [Place your favourite Insult here]
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

It could still be less shiny. There is a difference between realism and funny looking.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Google_Frog wrote:It could still be less shiny. There is a difference between realism and funny looking.
Then make your own.

Wrt this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... J9I#t=220s
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Believe it or not, shiny ness helps playability by generating contrast.

And to what standards does this look funny?
Shinyness used:

shinyness not used:
(still awesome nukes though)

Now please count the units on the last screen and time the seconds:
Senna

Post by Senna »

wow what game is that oO?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

the enemys glamourshots...

thats not the point. forb made a move into the right direction. And of course everybody is barking. Now lets get out the electric battoon and get to work.

I fucking luv Behes Tabula V4 (I always test on that) and it is orange-light shiny.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

WOW, those nukes look fantastic... DO WANT.

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. I wanted dsd for evo because it plays REALLY good in evo. DSD is fugly, so of course I'mma retexture it. And I figure well I might as well fix the heightmap for *A, not like it takes long for me to do. At the same time I make sure that BA can play it. So I set the visuals and whatever like I want it for evo, but the BA people complain.

The funny part about the whole thing is that the map is using blueprint, meaning that it's all lua. Any moron with 2 brain cells could change it up, rename it and have a BA version for themselves in 5 minutes, but are they going to do that?

No. They are going to sit here and whine because it doesn't look visually perfect for BA.

These guys are unbelievable. I did it because I was being nice. I fixed the heightmap because I was being nice. If BA didn't have such retarded unit slope values it wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Do you guys realize that a flash tank is only capable of climbing a 33 degree slope?

This is the maximum climbing angle for a flash tank:

The Specular value of this map is the least of your worries.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Forboding Angel wrote:WOW, those nukes look fantastic... DO WANT.

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. I wanted dsd for evo because it plays REALLY good in evo. DSD is fugly, so of course I'mma retexture it. And I figure well I might as well fix the heightmap for *A, not like it takes long for me to do. At the same time I make sure that BA can play it. So I set the visuals and whatever like I want it for evo, but the BA people complain.

The funny part about the whole thing is that the map is using blueprint, meaning that it's all lua. Any moron with 2 brain cells could change it up, rename it and have a BA version for themselves in 5 minutes, but are they going to do that?

No. They are going to sit here and whine because it doesn't look visually perfect for BA.

These guys are unbelievable. I did it because I was being nice. I fixed the heightmap because I was being nice. If BA didn't have such retarded unit slope values it wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Do you guys realize that a flash tank is only capable of climbing a 33 degree slope?

This is the maximum climbing angle for a flash tank:

The Specular value of this map is the least of your worries.
Does it really matter? All that matters is that there is difference between units in climbing angle. And that we have. What is retarded is the slope nullifying abilities of amphibs.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”