Unloading trans = damage

Unloading trans = damage

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

klapmongool

Unloading trans = damage

Post by klapmongool »

I have experienced multiple times that a unit being unloaded from a (t1) trans takes damage. This doesn't always happen and I didn't reproduce (for replay). If desired I can reproduce this in a couple of days ( :( )

Fix?
Niobium

Re: Unloading trans = damage

Post by Niobium »

This is how BA implements killing passengers when the transport dies:
1) Add 'releaseheld=true' so that passengers don't die when the transport dies
2) Add a gadget that kills passengers after they are released, if the transport is dead
3) Add a gadget that applies fall damage to released passengers, if they are released in the air (i.e. the transport died)

You might be thinking "What? That's retarded" and you'd be right. "Couldn't they just not do any of those steps, for the same effect?" Yes, yes they could.

Anyway, the reason the units take damage when unloaded is because of the gadget in 3. In certain circumstances the transport unloads the unit slightly above the ground and the gadget applies fall damage. The fix? Remove the gadget from 3, it doesn't actually do anything (Any legitimately falling unit (i.e. the transport died) is killed by the gadget from 2)

Yes I know about the commando, but who else does?
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Ty for explaining nio. Let's hope someone fixes it then (i can't). It is quite annoying to hear the 'commander under attack'-sound only to find out, when you check on your boy, that it is actually a sloppy unload from a trans.

Imho commando could be removed altogether the way it is now. Would be worth it if it makes a fix for this issue possible.
knorke

Post by knorke »

The gadget from 2) (and its stuff in unitdefs_post.lua) is safe to remove, it was only needed as workaround for an engine crash bug in 83.0/84.0
(but it is not what causes the unloading damage)
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Nio, FYI, BA has no real maintainer currently. So it is up to the players (if they feel capable of doing so) to commit patches if they want see stuff fixed. Hint: that was an invitation :mrgreen:
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

very_bad_soldier wrote:Nio, FYI, BA has no real maintainer currently. So it is up to the players (if they feel capable of doing so) to commit patches if they want see stuff fixed. Hint: that was an invitation :mrgreen:
I can imagine he doesn't feel like contributing since the last time.. BA community doesn't take kindly to those who try to help.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

klapmongool wrote:BA community doesn't take kindly to those who try to help.
Thats true for the most part, but applies for all contributors (not just Nio). Thats part of the reason why BA has no maintainer.
But there is also a difference between introducing game changing modifications and helping in terms of "I-see-a-bug-and-I-fix-it". The second has a very high probability to get accepted by the community while the first has not.
smoth

Post by smoth »

but still dangerous, the ba community is terribly toxic. The best person to fix things is someone who has limited engagement with the community to best insulate them from this.

also behe is still around.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

This can be considered an engine bug I think. The problem is that trans will release the unit when it is at a hard-coded distance above the ground. I have seen my com being damaged once, kind of disappointing if you unload and it goes boom :mrgreen:
MiNiMi

Post by MiNiMi »

I play often BA and i can say everybody in the BA Community would welcome a Maintainer for bug fixes.

Nio's Changes from 7.32-->7.42 (or 7.50) was a revolution for the BA and usally the community don't like Revolutions, BA need more an evolution.
There was a lot of good changes (f.e. reduced bb range) in Nio's mods and the devs still keep them in the current version (7.63) but also a bunch of controversy changes (like useless air).
The Problem was that Nio just asked his friend (clan members) 'what they would change in BA' and you know SOS or PYB don't represent the BA Community.

Whatever, i would be grateful if someone Maintain the BA for us doesn't matter if Niobi' or Pako :P

There are a lot of bugs in the BA and they wait for a Fixer :P

bugs
- Viper, Toaster are indestructible vs Laser weapons
- Trans Unload bug
- Units in Lab, ( during production) sometimes not selectable
- a radar in (kbot)Lab let the producing units fly (must be something with the pathfinding)
- Pathfinding in general sucks pretty hard since spring 85.0
knorke

Post by knorke »

- Units in Lab, ( during production) sometimes not selectable
fixed in engine

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”