Name suggestions for the BA remake

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

It's quite clear that this will be a BA remake of sorts. However, there's a plethora of reasons why we shouldn't call it "Balanced Annihilation Reloaded". Not least of which is that it just implies pure laziness :P

So, just use this thread to come up with better suggestions, which preferably don't include the term, "annihilation" ;)

What I myself would like to see is one word names. Something unique that works. Zero-K is an example of this, but I never liked this choice because most people in the world wouldn't know the meaning behind it at all unless you explained it to them. And without knowing the meaning, it does sound a bit silly. What would be better is a name with the same meaning but also works as just a cool name even if the meaning isn't known.

Of course, feel free to stick with the regular format of "{cool sounding description}+{event that implies lots of bad things}". Nothing wrong with that format, but use of the word "annihilation" has probably been a little over-saturated :roll:

A few of my own:
  • Colossal Damnation
  • Campaign of the Wretched
  • Dissension
  • Intergalactic Rift
These are just trying to get at the idea of two factions that have been divided and are engaged in huge interplanetary warfare and will fight until the other is destroyed. Of course, with the remodelling of BA entirely, it would be totally possible to derive a different story, rename the factions and such. The further away from the TA Universe we can get, the better, but sticking with its gameplay design is fine as its proven it works.

If anyone has any genius ideas about some new lore we can use to summarise this game, by all means, spew it out. It's a lot easier to come up with names and graphics when there's a specific story to work with. As such, don't feel the names you suggest have to imply anything about intergalactic war.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Name suggestions for the BA remake

Post by zwzsg »

Jazcash wrote:So, just use this thread to come up with better suggestions, which preferably don't include the term, "annihilation" ;)
Aww, why? It's nice to have all the *A called Something Annihilation, as otherwise it becomes much more complicated to refer to them and to spot them.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

zwzsg wrote:
Jazcash wrote:So, just use this thread to come up with better suggestions, which preferably don't include the term, "annihilation" ;)
Aww, why? It's nice to have all the *A called Something Annihilation, as otherwise it becomes much more complicated to refer to them and to spot them.
A marketing ploy! :twisted: Any time you want to refer to all *A derivations you'll have to say "*A games and BAR" or whatever name we use :P
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Jazcash wrote: These are just trying to get at the idea of two factions that have been divided and are engaged in huge interplanetary warfare and will fight until the other is destroyed. Of course, with the remodelling of BA entirely, it would be totally possible to derive a different story, rename the factions and such.
Since nobody knows how the remodelling efforts will go on, maybe its a viable way to go the 1faction route like ZK did and just kick ARM out.
Nobody really wants it but it dont see a complete ARM model set in the (at least) near future. So if we are serious about having a game with original 3D models this might be necessary.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Jazcash wrote:A marketing ploy! :twisted: Any time you want to refer to all *A derivations you'll have to say "*A games and BAR" or whatever name we use :P
Since so many newcomers come because they're attracted by the smell of Total Annihilation, wouldn't it be a better marketing ploy to keep a name reminiscent of Total Annihilation?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

zwzsg wrote:Since so many newcomers come because they're attracted by the smell of Total Annihilation, wouldn't it be a better marketing ploy to keep a name reminiscent of Total Annihilation?
I agree entirely. But that ship has sailed and there are now so many Annihilation spin-off games that anybody wishing to find a TA derivative that suits them has a bucket load of games to sift through and choose from. I fear keeping to the "Annihilation" trend will make most original BA players just class it as another failed *A game unless they do any further digging into the game.

very_bad_soldier wrote: Since nobody knows how the remodelling efforts will go on, maybe its a viable way to go the 1faction route like ZK did and just kick ARM out.
Nobody really wants it but it dont see a complete ARM model set in the (at least) near future. So if we are serious about having a game with original 3D models this might be necessary.
Personally, I'd like to see a playable version released as soon as possible and if that means kicking ARM out then fine. This isn't me being impatient, it's the fact that a released game that is constantly developed has much more chance of survival that a game which is only released when perfect. Look at SWIW. I'm pretty sure they have a playable version of their game and there's days, if not weeks worth of content in it, yet it's not released, for what reason I'm not so sure of. I much prefer the ZK way of things.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

How about just calling it BAR? As in, keep the title as an acronym and don't have an expansion for it. It still gives a hint to what its origins are, but clearly shows that it's a new game. Most people are going to call it "BAR" anyway, why bother complicating it?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

dcor221 wrote:we should stick with BAR as the name/acronym people know it and understand it but to a new player there is abit of history if they should look a little deeper
Don't think like this because you will end up looking at BAR as a way to get the old BA playerbase back. Instead BAR needs a new playerbase and the name should reflect that.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

BAR, which will stand for, BAR
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I'd be fine with BAR if you can think of a decent acronym for it that isn't Balanced Annihilation Reloaded or anything stupid like Beware Anal Rape.
dcore221

Post by dcore221 »

bravery
bionic
bit

avenge
alpha
angelic
acceleration

rebellion
resistance
resurrection
reboot
revolution
revenge
remix
resonance
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

BAR's Awesome Robots
Floris

Post by Floris »

You mean:

Blatantly Awesome Robots

But no, if we're gonna stick with Annihilation or BAR I prefer BA still. Then BAR will be just the codename until it's done and released as a BA update.
crazy dave

Post by crazy dave »

i dont want some fancy flash new name, just go back to BA.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Reasons for the name BAR (Will stand for Balanced Annihilation Reloaded in the context of this post)
  • The name implies it's a rebooted version of BA, which really is the essence of what it will be. This means any previous BA players will know exactly what the game's about without having to look into it more. Whether this is a good or bad thing I don't know.
  • Everybody's been calling it BAR already so it would be easier to just stick with it.
Reasons against the name BAR
  • BA was made up of an awful lot of TA content. One of the main directions for this new game is to make the push and get away from any TA content entirely. This game will have a lot to do with BA, but it shouldn't state that anywhere. The more it has to do with TA, the less people will want to be involved with it. Already, a lot of people, including a lot of current Spring game developers don't want to touch BA due to it being full of TA badness.
  • BA is already losing players by the day. Adopting the name BAR is pretty much destined to adopt the dying playerbase with it. It's time to move on. Every game has its day, BA has had its.
  • Most players will just class it as another *A game that will probably fail. That in itself will put off many players.
  • Bob said so:
    Mr. Bob wrote:While you legally have every right to do with them what you will, I'd rather they be used for a single project. Reason being; when people see the game for the first time, I'd rather not they see multiple versions of what looks (artwise) to be the exact same thing. It gets confusing and it looks wildly unprofessional.

Feel free to use them for whatever though. Maybe just hold off for a while until BAR is released? (Which won't be called BAR, by the way. It will have it's own name and a fresh release.)
    And as far as I'm concerned, this is more his (and anybody who helped with the models) game more than anybody else's.
When it comes to first impressions, name means everything. The name should reflect a good impression, regardless of what the content actually is. A fresh start is what's needed here. I'd rather not take BA's failures with us.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

You should really get rid of the Balanced part.

Balance is subjective and not very appealing.

Imagine if Starcraft was callled Balancecraft...
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Exactly, balanced annihilation is just awful name for a game.

BAR as an acronym however is great. You just need to find a new meaning for it.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Otherside wrote:You should really get rid of the Balanced part.

Balance is subjective and not very appealing.

Imagine if Starcraft was callled Balancecraft...
I always thought this about BA in the first place. And to change just the "Balanced" part and leave "Annihilation" would make the game seem even more like just another *A game.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Strategic Command
Seek and Destroy
Steel Commando

Use a radar stupid
Total Castration
Commanders in Love
Gollis and Sumos in Love

BattleCom
Pandoras Box
Pandoras Battle
Last Commando
Last Commander
Last Com Standing
Commanders
Droids
BattleDroids
FuckSOPA
Turmoil
Commanders Orders
SimBattle
BattleSim
Battle For Metal
Metal Wars
War for Metal
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Bellum Apparatus Regni

Latin for War of the Machine Kingdom

Pros:
It's Latin so it classy as hell
Keeps the BAR acronym
Actually makes sense
Unique (which is good for google-ability)
Distinct, stands out in lists
Generic enough that it works with BA's heritage while leaving a lot of room for a potential new backstory

Cons:
It's Latin so nobody speaks it (also not really perfect Latin)
Keeps the BAR acronym (makes me thirsty)
Wordy for trying to use in casual conversation
Also probably hard to remember after seeing once

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”