BA relevant info about Spring 89

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Many new features, along with targetting lock:

There is a new lock on target feature of units retaining their target after getting a move order, but it has some small issues:
1. If a unit is ordered to attack ground, it wont stop until it is given a stop command.
2. If a unit is ordered to attack another unit, and the target goes out of range, the unit stops aiming and shooting at any other unit.
3. There is no visual indication that a unit is locked on a target, and actively tries to aquire said target if it doesnt have any other commands.

Please post BA specific bugs!

Yes I know sounds are buggy atm.
Niobium

Re: BA relevant info about Spring 89

Post by Niobium »

Beherith wrote:There is a new lock on target feature of units retaining their target after getting a move order, but it has some small issues:
2. If a unit is ordered to attack another unit, and the target goes out of range, the unit stops aiming and shooting at any other unit.
3. There is no visual indication that a unit is locked on a target, and actively tries to aquire said target if it doesnt have any other commands.
So you could feasibly be moving around an entire army of units having no idea that none of them will actually attack enemies, because you accidentally locked on a unit some time ago?
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

I think this explains why my flash attacks didn't fire at anything. I was just WTF'ing when they did nothing upon driving next to enemy mexes and winds. :lol:

Good to know tho. The targeting thing overall makes this feel quite noticeably different from .88.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Io the targeting lock could be great, but you need to be able to turn it off/on and it should have a cooldown or something.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I dislike the targetting lock - I think it makes it harder to micromanage multiple units at once.

Btw, does the targetting lock undo if the unit neomg targetted is killed?
HectorMeyer

Post by HectorMeyer »

Probably not BA specific but how would I know...

When joining games, I have no ambient lighting and no shadows. In my own games and single player it works fine.
edit: now it doesn't even work in single player anymore, really confusing, i will try complete reinstall without tasclient now..
edit2:still no luck, even after fresh install. it also was like that in the last engine version already. probably some bugged video card feature detection? it might be because my laptop has switchable video cards and the system often reports the intel on board as primary, when i am actually using radeon 6770m.
edit3: ok guys, scratch that. it was just that stupid dsd revolution map for which it doesnt work :regret:

When reclaiming buildings under construction, they sometimes don't vanish for a a while even when they have 0 hp.
arx

Post by arx »

There seems to be new sounds on BA. i notice that the Jeffy sounds different, terrible i might add. it seems teh same for the laser

what inclined the dev team to change the old sounds?

t1 era gives a headache now almost, with this horrible scraping laser sound

edit; actually it sounds like someone striking a drum with elastic bands over it??
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Ba didnt change anything, the new engine handles those sounds differently (in a broken manner?).
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=3152

However, it isn't entirely clear to me what the solution is.
Deadnight Warrior

Post by Deadnight Warrior »

The sound bug is a matter of a simple weaponDefs_post.lua, I've put one into BAR, but it seems that no dev looked at it or copied it to BA.

You need to set all beam lasers to have soundTrigger=1, soundhitdry="", soundhitwet="", in order to replicate Spring <=88.0 sound behaviour.
Senna

Post by Senna »

Bugs Found accorded to BA:

-Known sound Bug
-Constructors buildrange
-Nanos buildrange shorter than it shows, reclaim area shorter than com explosion
-Atack command and order command bug, this last one when ordering cons build stuff they just ignore it
-Penetrators shots backwards, some units like cans and crashers are not shoting backwards
-Sniper doesnt hit small units like scouts when those are moving
-Gunships area atack bug, needs micro and set manual atack to kill units in land, tested with brawlers and rapiers they both are bugged in the way u send them into enemy area and they just stand there and wont atack until you set manually atack enemy units 1 by 1, its like they are in hold fire when they set to fire at will
-Nuke fire script gets redy even before the missile is stockpiled

-And the major Bug found yesterday. If a building is unfinished lets say 90%, if u reclaim it the metal wont come back!

is all the bugs i found, if i find more i will be happy to post there. Hope it helps
Last edited by Senna on 16 Jul 2012, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Deadnight Warrior wrote:The sound bug is a matter of a simple weaponDefs_post.lua, I've put one into BAR, but it seems that no dev looked at it or copied it to BA.

You need to set all beam lasers to have soundTrigger=1, soundhitdry="", soundhitwet="", in order to replicate Spring <=88.0 sound behaviour.
That implies that pre 89, soundhit didn't work *at all* for beamlasers?
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Wrecks of ships and hovers(in sea) keep their momentum way too much. A wreck can thus travel like 600 to 700 range easily after being created.
The Nixtux

Post by The Nixtux »

Ship wreaks movement bug is allready fixed in post_release branch
https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... 81750124d5
albator

Post by albator »

When Leveler fire at unit like stumpy or even rocko, they stay put and continues has nothing happen: the stunning effect is gone: I dunno if that is due to the weapon change or mass change
Zonk

Post by Zonk »

Senna wrote: -Constructors buildrange
-Nanos buildrange shorter than it shows, reclaim area shorter than com explosion
Strange, cons buildrange seemed normal to me.

But Nanos really have shorter range now. (but it's still possible to explode com in nano range, u just have to place your com very, very precisely now.)
Senna wrote:-Sniper doesn't hit small units like scouts when those are moving
I think I've had this happen before, its because the projectile takes some time to travel.
The "bulletspeed" (weaponvelocity) of Sharpshooter is 4000, for comparisation Annihilators have 1400 and Rockos have 190.
So its very fast but not a instant hit.
Zonk

Post by Zonk »

another bug:
-If you order a aircon that landed to build something, it won't lift off (and eventually will skip the build order).
If you manually tell it to move somewhere, it will build whatever u order it to, as usual.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Zonk wrote:another bug:
-If you order a aircon that landed to build something, it won't lift off (and eventually will skip the build order).
If you manually tell it to move somewhere, it will build whatever u order it to, as usual.
this is a very annoying bug, also engine sided tho
knorke

Post by knorke »

-Constructors buildrange
did not find it with quick search but iirc there was some change how reclaim range is calculated. (from center of unit vs edge of sphere or something)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

beherith, why not just use that little widget that i use in evo to show actual ranges (Or is that not the problem?)?

Reason I ask is that is sounds like no one seems to be aware of the actual range leading me to believe that it isn't visualized anywhere.

The way it worked was, a TAism was added to the engine. This was so that constructors would move to half their buildrange before building, essentially halving buildrange (except when building things within the full range that didn't require any movement for the con).

This was adapted because TA cons are really slow, and when building bricks of solars and stuff, they would build move build move build move.

However, this behavior has some serious downsides (like effectively halving buildrange). So now, buildrange is calculated from the center of the constructor to the edge of the footprint of the ... "Buildee".

It's very nice. You will also notice in game that the commander's buildrange seems twice what it was before. That is because of the TAism removal.

Hopefully this answer was helpful.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”