3 Player FFA - Page 2

3 Player FFA

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Johannes

Re: 3 Player FFA

Post by Johannes »

smoth wrote:I like how the rebutal is they sucked.

sometimes it work out that way. people get lucky etc.
Sure there's luck too, as in any gametype. But the diplomacy part in ffas is not luck, even if it's a bit different skill from the usual strategy and tactics.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Just an FYI I do win a good few 3 ways but it requires me watch both sides and hitting one crippling him, pull back, re supply and attack the other guy It feels dirty but it is effective.

I don't like FFA though I feel like I am bullying but winning isn't always pretty
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

smoth wrote:Just an FYI I do win a good few 3 ways but it requires me watch both sides and hitting one crippling him, pull back, re supply and attack the other guy It feels dirty but it is effective.

I don't like FFA though I feel like I am bullying but winning isn't always pretty
Is this usually in Gundam? Small-FFA seems to work best when there's a middle territory that you claim for advantage that is hard to defend (Desert Triad's middle, Castles' water).

Since Gundam isn't a territory-driven game, it's no wonder that it fails for FFA. Perhaps a KOTH mode would work better? Give the players some kind of defensive buff (eg. give everybody a cap-ship that can only fly within the build radius) and get them focused on claiming a common goal instead of trying to eliminate each-other.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Gundam, Starcraft, Warcraft, generals, Dow, TA, etc

I like how people use gundam as a reason to dismiss my point. You guys over emphasize your precious territory control. It is infantile to assume that my experience is limited to gundam. Been playing rts games for something like 14 years. Teritory bonus has little value beyond strategic positioning but it isn't the only deciding factor.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Smoth, I *like* that Gundam doesn't have territory control. I think that's one of the things that makes it feel actually *different* from other RTS games when it seems like most new ones go for the same Z/TA/DoW quick-land-grab model.

I'm just saying that Gundam's territory model doesn't allow it to work as well with this.

The small-FFA seems to work best in games where expansion is *cheap* and then you fortify later. Z-style games, where all the players will be fighting into the middle - the game isn't about killing the opponents, but the first player who can secure this common territory. In *Craft, investing in that common territory is expensive, and security it is hard. In Gundam, there is no need to secure territory at all. The sweet-spot seems to be games that are territory-driven and where expansion is *cheap* and you want to claim the middle - then you can take it, get pushed out, and regroup.

EE and ZK provide the most fun I've ever had in a small-FFA for this reason - because they've got a stronger focus on quick and cheap territory control than any other game I've played... but I haven't gotten far enough into DoW for comparison, I imagine that it might work well for that game.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Now I am curious, are there any good 4player ffa maps? On the rare occasion this happens we are stuck with either

deadlock_v1
altored_arctic
or
greenworld_ghaut

However, even though greenworld is a pretty map it seems too stalemated for much action outside of 2v2s. Most 4p maps are 2v2 and although I enjoy team games, I also like having ffa as an option.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Well, for 4FFA, you can go oldschool and get one of Spring's first overplayed maps: Castles. Be warned: the little lake in the middle is Speedmetalesque bounty, and the soft and deformable sand contains enough metal that you need to claim turf outside of the ramparts.
Rafal99

Post by Rafal99 »

I see no The Cold Place mentioned while it seems to be an obvious 3 way map.
There is also The Cold Place Remake with some metal spots in the water.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

4FFA means ESP!!

Also duck is suitable for ffa of any size.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Rafal99 wrote:I see no The Cold Place mentioned while it seems to be an obvious 3 way map.
There is also The Cold Place Remake with some metal spots in the water.
Because of the water, I usually find that Cold Place usually feels like three little 1v1s instead of a full 3-player game. Don' like it.
pintle

Post by pintle »

TCP is a 1v1 map, I think it kinda sucks for everything else.

That said, Noize's remake has much better metal distribution for 3ffa.

4ffa map suggestions:

Metal Heck (norly :D)
Lava Highground
Pydah Pass
Painted Desert Remake V2
Bosque

Post by Bosque »

Green River Confluence
http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... nfluence-2

I actually really like this map also as a 1v1 map, fighting over the resources that would have been a third players.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Bosque wrote:Green River Confluence
http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... nfluence-2

I actually really like this map also as a 1v1 map, fighting over the resources that would have been a third players.
I *loathe* the metal layout on this map.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

HexFarm can generate trilateral layouts:

Image Image Image Image

Metal amount, geovent count, geometry, etc... can be configured to fit your taste.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Ffa autohost should def. have that!!!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Yeah, thats Zwzsg. Take everyones skin, but the iceskin.. oh, noe, that ones not good enough, we skip that one. Cant make a new version every time.

Also why doesent it look in the mainfolder everytime now? Everbody on this board can convince you im not a dramaqueen, but this, this has gone to far, this is a insult and an outrage. I shall never forgive you this..
..till hell freezes over!

[img]springrts.com/phpbb/download/file.php?mode=view&id=6906&sid=4910f177173479e3fbe28985adc331fb[/img]

well, it really was to easy to edit hexfarm, happy we fixxed that. Now you have to edit two textfiles in a 7zip, think of all the noobs that could have crawled in on that. Awesome results, for near zero work. No. no. no. thats not bad, and you should feel bad.
Attachments
hexfarm_hellfrozzen.png
(7.47 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

PicassoCT: Nope, still work: Save your image as hexfarm.png or as hexfarm4.png in your Spring folder, and the map will still load it.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

I predict this one will be popular with what is left of the BA crowd.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

It looks very interesting, almost to the point that the map defines the game. I never played demigod but the raised platform map style reminds me of the screenshots.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”