diplomat and merl

diplomat and merl

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Senna

diplomat and merl

Post by Senna »

Diplomat and merl are still very useless, and silentwings reverted them to old values, making then even crapier, too slow, not enought damage, they are really expensive too, comparing a diplomat with a dominator for esample, dominator is mutch better for the speed and price than diplomat
Silentwings

Re: diplomat and merl

Post by Silentwings »

I haven't made a change to them, ever.

Also "reverted to old values" by anyone is wrong, they haven't changed in over a year.
Senna

Post by Senna »

Silentwings wrote:I haven't made a change to them, ever.
did or not, u can make a change on them now making them having more use
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

How about "sorry" ?

Units firing missiles were discussed recently in another thread; seemed no big call for change.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

+1 for a speed increase.
Not only do they take ages to get to the front, but they also cannot escape a single unit.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

They are not very good atm but I don't think they really need a boost. They have a purpose against really porced up stuff. In fact, the possibility of the enemy building diplomat/merl probably prevents alot of porc being made.
albator

Post by albator »

imo, that is more a dynamic kind of thing. I use mobil t2 core rocket kbot cause it can kite easily, can climb mountain, and they are faster (afaik) and cheaper than their veh equivalent.

The time you buil 4 merl/diplomat, they arrive to enemy base and make some damage, it is usually faster to make a fusion, 2 MM and spam Air, plus you got extra eco. Difficult to do some balance things, without overpowering them on small maps.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Ok, why should they be better? When you think about buffing some (relatively) unused unit, you have to think a bit more than just whether X is worth building if it's given Y change. You have to think how it affects the game at large, that you introduce a new powerful unit to it.

And making it faster is really a boring way to go around buffing this... Its most major weakness as is, a major differentiator from other artillery units, is its sucky speed. That for a big part defines when and how it can be used, compared to other artillery. You need Diplo/Merl somewhere? You better have a lab near, or build it well in advance, or use a trans. Make it faster and it gets a step more samey with every other piece of artillery in the game.

And they do have their niche already, being able to shoot on cliffs where Pillager/luger cannot reach for instance.
Broker

Post by Broker »

Johannes wrote:Ok, why should they be better? When you think about buffing some (relatively) unused unit, you have to think a bit more than just whether X is worth building if it's given Y change. You have to think how it affects the game at large, that you introduce a new powerful unit to it.

And making it faster is really a boring way to go around buffing this... Its most major weakness as is, a major differentiator from other artillery units, is its sucky speed. That for a big part defines when and how it can be used, compared to other artillery. You need Diplo/Merl somewhere? You better have a lab near, or build it well in advance, or use a trans. Make it faster and it gets a step more samey with every other piece of artillery in the game.

And they do have their niche already, being able to shoot on cliffs where Pillager/luger cannot reach for instance.

they absolutely can not shoot at moving targets. and the slow destruction of the defense is not seen.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

What are you trying to point out?
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

I think they are good enough as they are. Units that are ugly tend to be less popular, and these units are quite dull looking. The explosions from their projectiles are not impressive either. They are simply underwhelming when compared to what you would expect from a real life missile truck..
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

You _really_ believe BA players care about the look of units???
gajop

Post by gajop »

dansan wrote:You _really_ believe BA players care about the look of units???
You believe current BA players are all that matters? :p
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I believe that no one is going to bother re-making BA units whilst BAR is coming along ;)
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

I suggest to increase damage radius for these units.
Big and slow missile riches land and units near not take damage. It's frustrating when you are trying to attack defence units and they just moved a little and not damaged.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

jamerlan wrote:I suggest to increase damage radius for these units.
Big and slow missile riches land and units near not take damage. It's frustrating when you are trying to attack defence units and they just moved a little and not damaged.
Mobile tacnukes!

I don't think change is needed.
liotier

Post by liotier »

Cheesecan wrote:I think they are good enough as they are. Units that are ugly tend to be less popular, and these units are quite dull looking. The explosions from their projectiles are not impressive either. They are simply underwhelming when compared to what you would expect from a real life missile truck..
I second the underwhelmed feeling, but I believe that a slow, clumsy TEL with powerful missiles for laying siege to mountaintop strongpoints and fortified bases is a well balanced niche... So maybe making the projectile explosion slightly larger (I mean the graphical effect - not the actual damage inflicted) is all that is needed to make that unit feel right.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”