BAR sound effects?

BAR sound effects?

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

dcore221

BAR sound effects?

Post by dcore221 »

who is making the sound effects for BAR?
im fairly experienced with a DAW although i have never done kind of thing before im willing to give it a shot

also what are the rules regarding the usage of samples like explosions gunshots ect? this is a open source project i dont want to get anybody into trouble

also what file format, bitrate, stereo/mono?

edit: converted all to mono and added some robot voices :-)
http://www.mediafire.com/?nfnfsgabjcny6b7
Last edited by dcore221 on 05 Jan 2012, 15:16, edited 4 times in total.
smoth

Re: BAR sound effects?

Post by smoth »

2+ megs. please use an alternative place for uploading. All these files add up eventually.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

I cant remember his name anymore, but iirc he made all of them already?
knorke

Post by knorke »

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... lit=kanoba
Don't remember if they ended up in BA but he remade all/many TA sound effects. (I tried to use some in my game too but found most would not fit)
edit: also what file format, bitrate, stereo/mono?
For sure mono, rest not sure. At least .ogg and .wav work.
Trimming silence at beginning/end is important, at least your laser sounds suffer from that.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Cool beans. Kanoba was the one who remade all the sounds, I can make them available if desired. Dcore: mono, with .wav or .ogg. Also, I think those laser sounds are a bit too 8-bit sounding, but a great start, nevertheless.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Here is the ZK svn save of Kanoba's sounds.

It looks like he remade every sound effect that BA used at the time. I had a look at them for CA's resounding but most are not used in ZK due to a few issues:
  • Most were a bit realistic for my taste, for example some explosions have glass shatter sounds. This may be fine for BA depending on the tone you want to set.
  • Many sounds have reverberation and length didn't work that well for common and frequent sounds.
  • Most unit replies have a voice over the radio. This did not work for ZK's setting and is something to take into account for BAR story.
  • Often sounds were not used for their original purpose but not renamed. Kanoba remade them for the name they were given which would leave us without a replacement. This should not be an issue for BAR if very little sound work was done since ripping it from TA.
  • Some remade sounds were from 3rd party packs that were known to be legally fine.
  • The main reason; at that point I had replaced a fair portion of sounds.
Anyway that was my experience with using the sounds, some are relevant to BAR and some are not. The laziest way would be to use his sounds but even that is not a case of copy-pasting them in. Someone will have to check each one for suitability and will probably need a basic sound editing program to fix some things (I used Audacity). There should just be a few simple issues like clipping and silence at the start and finish.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”