Problems with the Jellyfish

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

The Jellyfish needs some cleaning up. Since it's a shore unit, it's fairly common to have it a considerable distance above the water level. However, in these situations it frequently misses targets that are easily in range, even stationary ones.

The reason it misses has to do with the weirdness of the torpedo having to land in the water and then travel back to its target, which is in some cases above or behind the torpedo after it comes back to the surface.

Perhaps if the torpedo were actually an underwater missile and capable of turning around in place this wouldn't happen. Or perhaps that wouldn't be necessary if the Jellyfish was smart enough to "bomb" units when it could. Either way I'm fine with Jellyfish having 100% accuracy, as it's certainly an improvement over endlessly missing a target right next to it.
lurker

Re: Problems with the Jellyfish

Post by lurker »

I get sad whenever I see a noob with a jellyfish as his base defense.

Wait, it's a torpedo? Thought it was an unguided depth charge.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

lurker wrote:I get sad whenever I see a noob with a jellyfish as his base defense.

Wait, it's a torpedo? Thought it was an unguided depth charge.
If you attack ground with it you can actually make it coast very very far. I just found a way to make it seal off the entire top lake on tabula v3 by attacking the ground next to the jellyfish and having it bounce.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Nono, this is a noob. He put it in his base. He's not giving it orders. It's a land map.
CCBlackmilk

Post by CCBlackmilk »

TBH, in maps where you can pass through WATER with vehicle and kbot units, I use the Jellyfish as defence. Not only is it more powerful then an llt it also has more range, it's like a nerfed plasma laser defence.

I forget which map it was, havent play Spring in months

Regardless to say, if the unit itself is better in another situation then what it really is for, then, something is very very wrong.

And yes I have noticed it missing every once in a while too, but, I rarely use it unless:

A)I'm using it to attack GROUND units
B)Some noob has subs surrounding my base
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

The depthcharge system doesn't work very well / isn't designed for land based units like the Jellyfish. Some reworking of the weapons code should fix it.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Just cut the damned buggy thing and make the torp launcher into a hovering-above-the-water structure that is immune to underwater weapons like a hovercraft is.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

Pxtl wrote:Just cut the damned buggy thing and make the torp launcher into a hovering-above-the-water structure that is immune to underwater weapons like a hovercraft is.
This isn't a terrible idea actually.

Still it would be nice to have a means of attacking water units when you're on a cliff overlooking them.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Could prob just make it ballistic and high trajectory, it'd be less accurate vs scout boats but still effective vs most things.
det

Post by det »

Check out the CA depth charger, it bounces off land into the sea and then tracks. Works really well.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

det wrote:Check out the CA depth charger, it bounces off land into the sea and then tracks. Works really well.
Yep, +1'd.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Join CA and check epic depth charger, it will change ur life ! JOIN CA NOW ! RoyalCock wants u !
det

Post by det »

Wombat wrote:Join CA and check epic depth charger, it will change ur life ! JOIN CA NOW ! RoyalCock wants u !
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

<3

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”