Replacing the models with something beautiful and free - Page 4

Replacing the models with something beautiful and free

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Argh

Re: Replacing the models with something beautiful and free

Post by Argh »

half-assed is better than no-assed
Yes! Instead of encouraging Daan to remodel his !@*#!* Fido for the gazillionth time, tell him to crank out meshes- even bad ones are better than nothing (well, so long as they're bad ones that aren't so awful they cannot be animated properly and are less than, say 2K triangles, but that's bottom-of-the-barrel, in terms of spec).
Argh has a workflow that lets him crank out models at a hellish pace
Sure, but that requires an Argh, with all of the trouble that comes with that ;)

That's why I'm talking about Evo- it's the real model to follow, because you don't need an Argh.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Sleksa wrote:
Argh wrote: The only thing stopping this is that people here have created a culture where they actually expect artists to revise their work endlessly and satisfy them, instead of creating a culture where the goal is more important than a single part.
The problem isnt that the models somehow wouldnt be good enough for ba, but rather that they dont have a finished set of arm& core unit models
As I said I don't get what the motive behind this character attacking is for, digging up old forum posts to prove what exactly?
Yeah, i dont understand why saktoth is so bent on throwing shit at you :x
That's jsut it tho. When evo started this remodel thing, we didn't even have an idea of what the designs would look like. We decided on a loose color scheme for each side, and then got to work.

Look some of us would like to see a TA remodel actually happen, but it WON'T happen until people learn that it doesn't have to be 5000 poli's or have 3 months worth of texturing put into it to make it a good replacement unit. We get praise quite often for the new evo models, and tbh, a lot of them are around 300 or so poli's.

For god's sake people, they just need to look good overhead, anything else is fluff, because 3 people in the entirity of spring use a different view than ota.

Besides, As far as evo's remodel goes, I placed 0 restrictions on the guys, I asked for a design style that would work, kaiser nearly immediately popped out with some great shit, bumble wasn't far behind.

The simple truth is that if you make a 1500 face unit, some poor asshole is gonna have to uvmap that pile of crap. In fact, some time ago kaiser and I instituted a 200 face limit for models. No one like uvmapping models. It's time consuming and largely unrewarding.

Perhaps you should thing about the SPIRIT of the unit you want. Also, it's retarded to stick logos on the units. It's not going to be seen very often, and if you have a logo on it it's fate is sealed for better or for worse.

Let me make this clear in very hard numbers for you.

300+ units. 1 Month per unit. 25 years. You still have 15 more to go. Have fun.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

36 hours, start to finish (realtime, not working hours.)

No reason you couldn't use it as a gator replacement.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

See? A great model with a really nice texture done in under 2 days. It's not rocket science guys.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Forboding Angel wrote:See? A great model with a really nice texture done in under 2 days. It's not rocket science guys.
who are you talking to? :p

Pressureline: nice work, when can we expect the rest of core remodeled?
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

Pressure Line wrote:Image

36 hours, start to finish (realtime, not working hours.)

No reason you couldn't use it as a gator replacement.
Wow, thanks, that is nice looking. I'll plug him into the mutator and see him beat up the new arm solar panels.

I'll try to make an upload this Friday, and after that every two weeks. That release process works well for Wine - it's a very short time from patch submission to commit to inclusion, so modelers can really see their work getting used.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Sleksa wrote:Pressureline: nice work, when can we expect the rest of core remodeled?
I, unfortunately, am not superhuman.

But I did manage to do this yesterday...

Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Pressureline: nice work, when can we expect the rest of core remodeled?
Counter productive to do core vehicles, since Mr.d has already done them all and all in the same style too. Better to build on that, and his style. Though i know you are being sarcastic, slek.
TheFatController wrote:As I said I don't get what the motive behind this character attacking is for, digging up old forum posts to prove what exactly?
Mata claimed that you are 'willing to work with us on joint objectives' and that the 'hostility of CA towards BA is counterproductive'. Our hostility? Our unwillingness to work with you? BA does have all our lua, which represent a huge amount of man hours. We have even cooperated and assisted in getting a lot of it to function with BA. We've helped out with various bug fixes and advice, i tried to help Noize whenever he asked for technical assistances and i know other devs did too.

All I accused you of was antipathy towards CA. Surely this is not 'character assassination'. I am not making personal attacks (say, calling you an idiot or telling you to grow up) because such things are counter productive. I wish only to establish clearly where we stand and to address honestly the history of why there is not closer cooperation between BA and CA.

I thought the carrier drones thing was a big misunderstanding, and you did respond negatively to it. I wished only to clear it up, and would hate to think that you would hold antipathy towards CA due to it. I am glad that you say you do not, since i remember you being angry, i thought it was something we could resolve. But now you apparently hate me for mentioning it? So much for trying to clear bad blood then.

I am glad that you deny hating CA. But is mata right, are you willing to work with us on joint objectives? Which? Is he correct in making this claim for you?

Probably not now, since you now have the impression i am out to get you...
Gertkane

Post by Gertkane »

As a bystander, i noticed that not long ago some CA people were attacking "BA and other TA-IP" mods pretty harshly, calling their players and devs all sorts of names...
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

It's not counter-productive to do Core vehicles if you want to make non-TA looking vehicles for CA or a TA mod with CA-like goals (that is, 100% unincumbered with OTA IP).

But yes, for this TA remake project - probably check that the unit is already not done by Cremuss or Mr. D (or Smoth - his Peewee could finally find a home!)
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Gertkane wrote:As a bystander, i noticed that not long ago some CA people were attacking "BA and other TA-IP" mods pretty harshly, calling their players and devs all sorts of names...
[CA] guys? Anyone can put [CA] on their name...

Who? Like, Otherside? Trust me, he spends more time bugging us than he does bugging you... >_>
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Pxtl wrote:It's not counter-productive to do Core vehicles if you want to make non-TA looking vehicles for CA or a TA mod with CA-like goals (that is, 100% unincumbered with OTA IP).
Precisely. And anyway, I'm pretty much just doing this for shits and giggles.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

Here you go: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18820

It's only got like 4 units at this point, but I wanted to get something posted and stick to my "release every two weeks" promise.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

north wrote:
hunterw wrote:BA and CA arguing? come now, guys, you are cut from the same cloth
no
oh okay

:roll:
Gota

Post by Gota »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RBeoPau ... re=related

On the left corner,weighing 20 megabytes,the current champion of the world....Balanced Annihilation!!!! (wooo yeah! BA,BA,BA,BA,yeaaaah,yeaaaah)

On the right corner in an unknown weight category,the contender to the throne,Complete Annihilation!!
(Otherside:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncw70Hw1ffs CA!!!)
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

i dont like how they replaced flashes etc in CA... dont ever do that in BA >_>
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

model is nice but i think it doesnt fit to core, tho still vnice ^^
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Wombat wrote:model is nice but i think it doesnt fit to core, tho still vnice ^^
+1

It doesnt fit CORE. i know im a CORE Fanboi
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

closer to the flash, tho i dont mind replacing them ^^
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

If I may suggest something, I found this helpful when I was doing my high-poly remodels.

Export the original 3DO model, import it into your modeler of choice, and use it as a reference while you're shaping the unit. I don't mean just have it off at the side, I mean...

Let's try that sentence again. I'll just give an example:

I remade the core Thud as one of my first ones. I put the original thud model like 10 "wings units" below my remodel-in-progress. Then I switched to Orthographic mode, and set my view to the Y axis. I then "traced" the original model. Then switch to the X axis, Z axis, etc. Move the original around as appropriate. Take it apart and model each section individually, etc. The end result is that when viewed from above, there is no question what the new model is supposed to be: it was impossible to think it was anything but a Thud, only with a great deal more detail.

Well, I never made a texture for it since I realized I'd borked a couple mechanical aspects of it, but see for yourself. What unit is this:
hint_its_a_thud.jpg
(75.35 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Now, you don't want to remake TA units 1:1, I understand that, but you can use similar visual cues to indicate what role your remade unit is intended to fill. This will make users immediately feel comfortable with your new units, maybe saving you from "that looks cool! oh... it's not AA, is it... err... well... I have to go clean the tub..."

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”