Kernel Panic is reviewed in German CT Magazine

Moderator: Content Developer

Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

Ok its only a short review +one picture in a bigger article about free games but its in there.
CT is not mainly a gaming magazine but its more about computers and technology in general.

Batteries of my cam are empty so I will just translate the short column.
Kernel Panic which is based on the free spring engine reminds us of "Total Annihilation" (1997) (Bullshit of course ( translator's comment) )
Its about creating big armies and defeating the opponent in tactical and strategical battles using differences in terrain.
In Kernel Panic the player is not commanding human units but three parties of a computer universe called hacker, systems, and network.
The classical resource gathering is not present but the speed at which facories spit out units is important since seldomly a games lasts longer than 10 minutes.
The game has a multiplayr modus, a tutorial with speech and some singleplayer missions.
The unuasal graphical style adds to the charme of the game.

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: Kernel Panic is reviewed in German CT Magazine

Post by KDR_11k »

It's not a review, it's a description of KP because it is on the cover DVD.
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

I always buy the version without dvd

here if somebody cares

knorke

Post by knorke »

Also the description text is total fail?!
How does Kernel Panic remind them of TA?
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

It was done on the TA SPRING ENGINE. ):
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Thanks for the photo.

So they didn't use the pic I submitted but instead screenshoted the title screen. Well, why not, looks cool anyway.

What does the caption say? That KP is RPS?

Also, I didn't notice a massive influx of new kp players in the lobby. :(
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Yeah, they say the RPS nature requires using a balanced force.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

RPS, really?

The force composition for Hax and System is really a choice between 2 units, anti swarm and anti-anti swarm. The 'income' consists of swarm.

Network has an even stranger situation with only 2 combat units. Though the Mobile Node has the ability to spawn extra DPS at a cost of resources.

Though there is a low chance they played multiplayer so they can't be blamed for misunderstandings.
Godde

Post by Godde »

Google_Frog wrote:RPS, really?

The force composition for Hax and System is really a choice between 2 units, anti swarm and anti-anti swarm. The 'income' consists of swarm.

Network has an even stranger situation with only 2 combat units. Though the Mobile Node has the ability to spawn extra DPS at a cost of resources.
System vs System and Network vs Network is pretty much RPS. Bit>Pointer>Byte>Bit, Packet>Connection>Flow>Packet.
Other matchups might resemble similar gameplay as RPS. System vs Network. Bit>Connection>Byte>Packet>Pointer>(Connection and Flow) While Flow>(Bit and byte)
Hacker vs Hacker is just Bugs and worms where DoS is kinda obsolete.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

zwzsg wrote:Also, I didn't notice a massive influx of new kp players in the lobby. :(
i saw some KP players last week, i bet if you check the stats it'll show an increase of gametime
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Godde wrote:System vs System and Network vs Network is pretty much RPS. Bit>Pointer>Byte>Bit, Packet>Connection>Flow>Packet.
Other matchups might resemble similar gameplay as RPS. System vs Network. Bit>Connection>Byte>Packet>Pointer>(Connection and Flow) While Flow>(Bit and byte)
But those units aren't really part of direct force composition choice. You don't chose between a mix of 3 units. Instead you chose between 2 units and receive the 3rd from expansion. This makes it a bit different from RPS.
Godde

Post by Godde »

Google_Frog wrote:
Godde wrote:System vs System and Network vs Network is pretty much RPS. Bit>Pointer>Byte>Bit, Packet>Connection>Flow>Packet.
But those units aren't really part of direct force composition choice. You don't chose between a mix of 3 units. Instead you chose between 2 units and receive the 3rd from expansion. This makes it a bit different from RPS.
Sure you do. In the start of the game you only have your main and then you don't get "free" units. Even after that, you can choose to only make spam from your main as I often do with hackers. Spam are faster than most units and their ability to outmanouver, rush or/and outnumber other types of units is a part of what plays like RPS in some matchups.
Different unit combinations are suited for different maps like how Pointers supported by "free" spam and with builders on the flank is almost uncounterable on Digital Divide.

Return to “Kernel Panic”