Rock, Paper, Scissors

Rock, Paper, Scissors

Moderator: Content Developer

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Rock, Paper, Scissors

Post by zwzsg »

Story:
The year is 3000 A.D. People have become much smarter than today, so smart they solve Chess in primary school. Doesn't matter what they play, no amount of combination is any match for their epic intellect. The only challenge they get is outguessing each other. There is but one game that rose in popularity. It's short-session! It's action-pumped! It's guess-driven! It's like speedballs with hands! It is... Rock, Paper, Scissors!

Download link:

- http://springfiles.com/2602

Content:

- Two Missions
- One Skirmish Generator
- Multiplayer

Disclaimer:

Despite dealing quad damage and taking only half, the whole R/P/S balance can pretty much be forgotten: You'll soon find that sending a bunch of everything works just as well as microing to present the right counters. In fact it plays like a more relaxed KP. So while the R/P/S aspect is a failure, it is a great success toward the further dumbing down of the RTS genre!

Appendix:

Fig 1a : A Rock. It rolls.

Fig 1b : A Paper. Not for reading.

Fig 1c : A Scissors. Or two?

Fig 2: Speedballs with hands.

Fig 3 : What the future looks like.
knorke

Re: Rock, Paper, Scissors

Post by knorke »

this is so dumb i want to play it 8v8 dsd :shock:
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Yeah. Thanks to knorke and SirMaverick for the beta testing.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

WTF is going on on the ground in fig3? Whatever it is, it looks hella-cool.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Oh, nothing to do with "Rock, Paper, Scissors", last picture is taking place on "Central Hub", a cool new Kernel Panic map by FireStorm (he's cool and new too): http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=21331

I forgot to mention, the missions and skirmish generator assume you have all KP maps. Get them all from that zip.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Must try.

I was thinking to make this kind mod some time ago, but with more units that can beat only one or two kind of units... like green beats blue, etc. would be cooler i think. And you could "upgrade" their color to something else if you see they send units at you that you cant kill at that moment.

Edit: eww, the paper can kill any unit... but only slower if its wrong type, that kinda defeats the whole meaning of the mod name...
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

As I said in the first post, and as the automatic tips dispenser says:
- Rock deals quad damage to Scissor and half damage to Paper.
- Paper deals quad damage to Rock and half damage to Scissors.
- Scissors deals quad damage to Paper and half damage to Rock.

Theorically, that should have made the Rock eight time more poweful than the Scissors, the Scissors eight time more powerful than the Paper, and the Paper eight time more powerful than the Rock. However, the second mission, "A Rock, a Paper and a pair of Scissors" shows that one R/P/S against three S/R/P wins, but barely.

When I do a new version, I guess I'll change damage increase to instakill and damage reduction to x0.05.

Also, I plan to make the hand takes some time to switch from producing an unit to another, so that there is penalty to building mixed forces.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

If you want to make it more about the countering than sending in mixed blobs, I think varying their speeds (or maybe some other stat, but speed seems most interesting) would do the job.

Lets say rock would be the fastest, scissors slowest and paper in between. So you'd want rocks at first... but also papers to counter the enemy rocks would be very useful, when you need to bust that paper defense you might go for scissors, which needs protection though to not get shredded by the fast rocks which can reinforce quickly anywhere, or maybe you want to just kill his paper with your own paper... But if he has some scissors with his paper defense it wont work so well, dunno how it would actually play in the end.
Its also a bit different which way it'd go - if fastest unit is countered by the slowest, or the middle one.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

what do you mean ridiculous? Nothing ridiculous there. He also patented the idea, and is going to be rich at year 3000.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

knorke

Post by knorke »

no way this is legit

oh my god its a origami dino and its dry humping everything to death :shock:
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

OMG OMG OMG YOU MADE THE PEDOBEAR MOD I WAS REQUESTING AT #MAIN FOR 3 WEEKS!

now, make it look like pedobear too :D same cartoonish graphics as kernel panic units has.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

knorke wrote:no way this is legit
Nope, using stolen TA:K material.
knorke wrote:oh my god its a origami dino and its dry humping everything to death :shock:
:lol:
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

Best game ever! Love that description!
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

why not? because it's not KP, and its stupid!
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Updated! (0.6->0.7)
- Compatible with Spring 0.82.3
- Hands now take 60s to grow
- You now lose the unit that triggered the hand creation
- RPS damage modifier increased
- Shots aren't shoot-through friendlies anymore
- New shot graphics for rock, paper and scissors

However, I lacked the time to implement the one fix that was supposed to bring balance to the mod, so gameplay is expected to still be brainless spamming.
Godde

Post by Godde »

Hey!

I have a great idea! You make rocks as small fast units. You make Papper big, slow and make it have rapid fire rate so it can defeat small units. Scissors will have large range and alot of damage but very low fire rate.
Thats like System vs System...

Hey! I have a NEW great idea. Scissors are small and then you have rocks that fly in the air and can outrange the scissors but they are slow at the start until you get alot of hands. Papper is slow and big with high damage so they can kill off rocks as they fly in the air but they are owerwhelmed by Scissors that cut them down quite fast.
Oh...
Thats network vs network!
Ah...
But wait!
I got another improved version. Pappers are big and slow but cloaked so you can get them near the enemy Rocks without them noticing and suddenly it uncloaks itself and kills all Rocks around it. The scissors would be able to paralyze but only the Pappers are worthwhile to paralyze because the Rocks will simply overrun the Scissors. But paralyzing might take so long time so Papper can still kill alot of rocks before it gets killed + that the Papper could sneak up on the Scissors and uncloak itself and kill the Scissors...
That didn't work out... :(
Hm...
I'm out of ideas.

Return to “Kernel Panic”