Unlocks and experienced players - Page 7

Unlocks and experienced players

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

Licho
Zero-K Developer

Re: Unlocks and experienced players

Post by Licho »

And you know that how? By investigating sample size 1?
knorke

Post by knorke »

Prominence wrote:
Google_Frog wrote:Players experienced at what?
Experienced and skilled at BA and other players who are good with RTS in general. Unlocks and communism don't appeal to those players.
when pr0gam0ring type this:
!setoptions unlocks=0
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Prominence wrote:First and foremost, the game should always try to reach broad audiences instead of just newbs. At this time, ZK's unlocks is one of those things that doesn't appeal to experienced players.
most of the 'experienced BA players' who reject ZK out of hand for unlocks, overdrive etc are those who dislike change of any shape or form anyway (you know, the ones who have played BA, DSD, 8V8 exclusively for the last 3 years). There is no point bending over backwards to reach that audience when there are new players coming into spring all the time.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Idunno, most of the old-guard RTS fans I talk to love the idea of the flat balanced tierless tree, love the idea of the eco system, but are uneasy about the unlocks and absolutely squicked by the idea of the comm upgrades.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

except, if you play the game for more than about 3 hours you have unlocked everything important. crying on this account is ignorance.

com upgrades are mostly just for fun (they are not cost effective in a serious game) so crying about this is likewise pretty puzzling..
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

I suspect the issue is "comm upgrades" imply some people have intrinsically better comms than other people (lol i win because i higher level), when this is not the case - you have to spend ingame resources to get these better comms, just like units.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

It sounds bad but I agree with the people Pxtl talked to and I got to 'balance' a lot of it. So if they looked into it they would discover that it is not that bad. Unfortunately this does nothing for the first impression.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Unfortunately this does nothing for the first impression.
The first impression is that unlocks clash with the "every unit is essential."
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Whoever said "every unit is essential" got the language slightly wrong.

Every unit is useful, not essential.

You don't need to build everything in the game every game.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Google_Frog wrote:It sounds bad but I agree with the people Pxtl talked to and I got to 'balance' a lot of it. So if they looked into it they would discover that it is not that bad. Unfortunately this does nothing for the first impression.
yeah, in my first games I was all 'omg he has a level 4 com with 8000HP and I cant even customize my commander yet, this is BS'

..then I learnt about the metal cost of modules and upgrades
smoth

Post by smoth »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:yeah, in my first games I was all 'omg he has a level 4 com with 8000HP and I cant even customize my commander yet, this is BS'

..then I learnt about the metal cost of modules and upgrades
would be nice if new players had a way of being kept together so the first games are not against the players who are all geared up and ripped?
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

you misunderstand me, what I'm saying is that the ability to morph commander is not any kind of advantage. Commander morphs are very overpriced, its the kind of thing you only do when you are already winning, for cheese or when leaking metal. Fighting players with more unlocked than you is no hardship. Fighting players better at the game than you ofc is, but thats hard to prevent because 99% ZK community all piles into the one big 8v8 game
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

It would still be nice if ZK started you out with a very limited inventory of Comm gear so you could do a *little* fiddling and upgrading instead of starting you out with *zero*.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

you get the choice of four bois :wink:
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

knorke wrote:
Unfortunately this does nothing for the first impression.
The first impression is that unlocks clash with the "every unit is essential."
Also, that tagline was written before unlocks were a thing.

Return to “Zero-K”