CA hangs my computer

CA hangs my computer

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

CA hangs my computer

Post by zwzsg »

So, I wanted to check if the new lups of CA was error free, and also do a bit of terraforming. I get ca-stable-6714.sdz, run Spring.exe, pick the mod, I get the loadscreen, then I get to see the map, then Spring goes full screen (a black full screen with taskbar wanting to show through). Then a second later I get windowed Spring. Then it goes on alternating between full black screen and windowed white screen, and I can't alt tab to any other program or ctrl-alt-suppr.

I don't know what kind of freaky widget code you run there, but I know it forced me to reboot my computer twice and now I lost trust in CA.
Attachments
infolog.txt
So I herd you liek infolog
(10.36 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Re: CA hangs my computer

Post by Licho »

It also crashes Det's spring.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

zwzsg wrote:So, I wanted to check if the new lups of CA was error free, and also do a bit of terraforming. I get ca-stable-6714.sdz, run Spring.exe, pick the mod, I get the loadscreen, then I get to see the map, then Spring goes full screen (a black full screen with taskbar wanting to show through). Then a second later I get windowed Spring. Then it goes on alternating between full black screen and windowed white screen, and I can't alt tab to any other program or ctrl-alt-suppr.

I don't know what kind of freaky widget code you run there, but I know it forced me to reboot my computer twice and now I lost trust in CA.
I actually experienced this problem once about six months ago, it was very annoying.

And you know that if you think it's widget code you can disable luaui before starting the game to see what happens.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I would like to confirm that the problems are in LUPS; but that LUPS was fine until Spring updated- whatever's broken must be pretty new in SVN.

I see the same problems over here with the LUPS module- first it was an annoying problem with the distortion FBO causing crashes, now it's just about everything that uses distortion / fresnel effects.

Something very strange is going on, and it looks like an engine-side problem from here.

[EDIT]I just rebuilt my dev install to 8.1.3; if I set nVidia drivers to stock-standard settings, everything works again, but there's still a fair amount of "stutter" when the distortion FX load.[/EDIT]
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Just to add to this, CA always desyncs for me (its not "ZOMG HAX LUA" because some morons disabled loading of local widgets). Additionally, it runs at about 1/10 of the fps i get when i play xta, and in ca i turn shadows off. I have a mobile 9600m GT in my laptop which these stats come from, (and 2.4ghz core 2 and buttloads of ram if that helps).
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

zwzsg wrote:I don't know what kind of freaky widget code you run there, but I know it forced me to reboot my computer twice and now I lost trust in CA.
Can't reproduce (yet). Please post the used spring setup (+ luaui config, lups.txt) and script.txt. Is this the only setup you tested?

If it make you reboot it's probable an engine bug triggered by CA.
d_b wrote:Just to add to this, CA always desyncs for me
Do you compile spring yourself? There are issues with gcc.
Additionally, it runs at about 1/10 of the fps i get when i play xta, and in ca i turn shadows off. I have a mobile 9600m GT in my laptop which these stats come from, (and 2.4ghz core 2 and buttloads of ram if that helps).
I have similar fps with equal setup.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Xenolithic V4 crash in a similar way (but without the full screen / windowed swapping, and with an added ATI driver error box before it locks up).
SirMaverick wrote:If it make you reboot it's probable an engine bug triggered by CA.
Maybe. It would still need fixing, wherever it is.

SirMaverick wrote:Can't reproduce (yet). Please post the used spring setup (+ luaui config, lups.txt) and script.txt. Is this the only setup you tested?
Every test I do, computer locks up and I have to reboot, so I hope you can understand I'll be relunctant to run a hundred tests.
Attachments
springsettings.cfg not a .txt
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
lups.cfg not a .txt
(2 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

zwzsg wrote:Xenolithic V4 crash in a similar way (but without the full screen / windowed swapping, and with an added ATI driver error box before it locks up).
I don't crash (linux, nvidia). It's a graphic driver issue.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

I thought it went without saying that you would not have released a CA that would not even work on your own machine. I don't like the answer of "It's a graphic driver issue". It sounds as if you're brushing the issue aside and don't care if ATI users suffer horrible lock ups everytime they try to start CA. My drivers are up to date, and they work for plenty of non-Spring games, other Spring-games, and even older Spring+CA. Ok, I don't have all the fancy lups, lava or fog, but at worst this resulted in error messages in console. This time I get computer lock up. I don't know if the blame lies on Lups, CA or Spring, so freel free to redirect my complaint. However I have to insist, as this bug is pretty severe. There are bugs I can live this, but this is not one of them.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

By all means we take the issue seriously but that wasnt much info to diagnose this from.

You say it works in older versions of spring? That narrows it down but it also means it could be any number of changes which were not made by any CA dev, even if its CA specifically it interacts badly with.

I'm afraid i cant be of much help (probably jK's area) but if you also get the crash with Xenolithic, then the obvious question is what they share in common. Precipitation?

I've disabled precipitation in the latest test (it was only on for Christmas anyway). http://trac.caspring.org/changeset/6730

However, if something like precipitation crashes you, then how do you fare with other lua shaders? I'm talking out of my arse here because i dont know anything about this area, again, jK is the one to consult if he's going to be of any help. Can you run BA alright? What kind of lua shaders does KP use?

Thanks for reporting. Too many people get errors with CA and we never hear about it.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

As it's a hardware specific problem the best thing you could do is download latest CA and disable all gadgets and widgets. Enable the gadgets and widgets slowly while testing to narrow the problem down to a widget, gadget or set of gadgets(as things like lups have dependancies).
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

zwzsg wrote:It sounds as if you're brushing the issue aside and don't care if ATI users suffer horrible lock ups everytime they try to start CA.
All I'm stating was that it doesn't crash with my setup. I don't have an ATI card.
Licho wrote:It also crashes Det's spring.
He has an ATI card. Maybe he can investigate it further.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

I am using latest drivers for everything, win 7, and a CLEAN FRESH install of spring, and still i desync. I have the same version of ca, i pass all the hash checks, and its not from the map.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

d_b wrote:I am using latest drivers for everything, win 7, and a CLEAN FRESH install of spring, and still i desync. I have the same version of ca, i pass all the hash checks, and its not from the map.
That's more info but not an answer.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

d_b wrote:I am using latest drivers for everything, win 7, and a CLEAN FRESH install of spring, and still i desync. I have the same version of ca, i pass all the hash checks, and its not from the map.
Not the same issue start a new thread.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

I can confirm that there is a crash bug in the nv drivers and that it doesn't happen when LUPS distortions are disabled. But I am quite helpless here. So I don't have any idea what got changed that could trigger it (the LUPS code wasn't touched for ages).
So as long as no one can make a reproducable test case, I am helpless as you.
And zwzsg, I am losing more and more effort to talk with you, someday you will end on my ignore-list like Regret&Basic.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Not hearing bug reports won't make Spring, CA, or Lups any better.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I can confirm that there is a crash bug in the nv drivers and that it doesn't happen when LUPS distortions are disabled.
OK, at least I'm not crazy, then.

I'll take a look, although I know your shader-fu is superior so it'll probably be a waste of time.

I take it that you get no warnings in the shaderlog at all?
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Google_Frog wrote:disable all gadgets and widgets. Enable the gadgets and widgets slowly
How would I do that?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

the best thing you could do is download latest CA and disable all gadgets and widgets.
It's a .sdd, open it up and set the gadgets to enabled=false.

Return to “Zero-K”