Chicken Tag (CA-derived mini game)

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Chicken Tag is a mission made using quantum's Mission Editor and extra lua. It requires four human players and a bot. The bot must be Alliance1-Player1. The players must be Alliance2-Players2,3,4,5.

Download
Each player gets a runner (Commander) and must run from the taggers (Cockatrices). When tagged, a player is sent to jail in the middle of the map. Other runners can free the jailed runners by touching the fence, at which point they will appear just to the south of the jail. If all four runners get tagged, you lose. After 20 minutes, all runners must reach a safety beacon that appears in a random corner.

Structures can be used to create a stronghold to fight off enemies. These are:
  • Dragon's Teeth (free)
  • Metal Extractor (free)
  • Fort Wall (5 metal)
  • Ray
  • Faraday
  • Stardust
  • Sentinel
  • Annihilator
Characters:
  • Tagger (Cockatrice) - If they touch you, you go to jail. Run away from them at all costs!
  • Chicken Swarmer - Attacks your structures.
  • Nugget (Dodo) - Runs at you and gets in your way.
  • Super Tagger - A tagger with a boost to its HP and speed, appears later in the game
  • Tick - you can create and control one tick at a time while in jail so as to contribute to outside society.
Rules:
  • If you get tagged, you lose all your structures and metal! And there is no sharing.
  • Your runner will kick pesky chickens and nuggets out of his way.
  • Jailed runners cannot build anything except for ticks, and cannot build a tick if they currently have one. Ticks can be built outside the fence and used to try and paralyze taggers to help the outsiders.
  • The team scores one point for every tagger killed before the beacon appears.
Tips:
  • Run away from taggers at all costs. Your runner is 10% faster than a tagger and in a straightaway will always gain some distance so you have time to think, plan, build walls and defences, etc. Do not turn too much or you'll lose that distance.
  • If the taggers all start chasing one runner, that runner should continue to lure them around while the other runners take the opportunity to build up expansions of mexes, using walls and turrets to defend them.
  • Small turrets and walls can defend expansions from the Swarmers and Nuggets. But if you are being chased by taggers, do not lure them into an ally's young expansion before he's had time to make large turrets strong enough to kill them. Veer away instead.
Note: the mission doesn't work properly if the host is using Tasclient, unless he is a spectator. Springlobby works properly when hosting. Other players can use either client regardless.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Chicken Tag for CA 4460

Post by CarRepairer »

Version 0.51 beta:
  • At 20 minutes a beacon appears (surrounded by Newtons for protection). All four runners must reach it to win.
  • Super Tagger missing (bug).
  • Current total of 20 Swarmers and 20 Nuggets.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Needs an infinite time mode with infinite available score. Chicken spawn/difficulty should increase smoothly over time in this mode.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Version 0.52 beta
  • New Taggers appear every 5 mins (up to 4) Super taggers appear every 10 minutes (up to 3).
  • 35 Swarmers and 35 Nuggets.
  • Scoring: Get points for each tagger and super tagger killed under twenty minutes. Score counts only once you reach the beacon.
Version 0.53 beta
  • Taggers weren't moving.
  • Buildpics restored.
Version 0.54 beta
  • Gameover works again.
  • Turrets no longer damage your runners.
  • Jailed runners are allterrain to be compatible with altored divide.
Version 0.55 beta
  • Supertaggers weren't taking damage.
Version 0.56 beta
  • Removed debug echo of counters.
Version 0.57 beta
  • Scoring bug gone.
I opted for not open-ended scoring - as suggested by googlefrog - because I need an incentive for people to reach the beacon, and I really do like that the missions are limited in time so I can start over. I may release a fork with open ended scoring also (but I wouldn't often want to host a game that can go on forever :P)
remram44

Post by remram44 »

Can't you play with less than 4 players?
Masure

Post by Masure »

Sounds fun
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

remram44 wrote:Can't you play with less than 4 players?
No, sorry. It's kind of balanced accordingly so that the difficulty is just right for four players. But more importantly, it's not really possible in the mission editor to detect the number of players and modify the triggers accordingly. Anything is possible with lua, but it would be lots and lots and lots of work and not worth the trouble. This mission was enough work already. Speaking of which, I need to update it to latest stables, if I find the time.
remram44

Post by remram44 »

This seems quite similar to the "Kodo Tag" mod on Warcraft III.

Can't find enough player to test, though...
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Chicken Tag (CA-derived mini game)

Post by CarRepairer »

Updated first post.
ScarySquirrel

Re: Chicken Tag (CA-derived mini game)

Post by ScarySquirrel »

I need to play this again sometime.

Return to “Zero-K”