[misc] Spring applied for GSoC 2009 - Page 4

[misc] Spring applied for GSoC 2009

Happenin' news on what is happening in the community. Content releases, new tutorials, other cool stuff.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Spring applied for GSoC 2009

Post by zwzsg »

Argh wrote:Spring's major problem in this regard is that it's not a packaged system ready to use
I've made Kernel Panic as a packaged system ready to use. I've made GRTS as a packaged system ready to use. All I'd need is Spring download link changed to point to them, which I had already done but then someone decided to hide games download further away.
If you need something that is separted from SpringRTS.com and isn't a wiki, then http://www.moddb.com/games/kernel-panic/
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Argh
i am sorry, but you will not be able to find out. You would not understand it if it were thrown into your face, cause it would need relearning some things differently, which you already learned.
or to say it in a more common way: accepting you were wrong, and going on.
you first had to learn this.
doing this is not as bad as you may imagine it, cause when you learned it again (which takes practically no time), it will be as if you always knew it, and thus never were wrong.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Actually I was more referring to Arghs comment on talking about the subject when I've already talked about it at length on my blog, and the threads spawned by it on the forums have contributed many thoughts and ideas from many people including Argh himself
scifi

Post by scifi »

Well Argh i dont think you know the amount of projects spring has or had...........................

it isnt just the ones posted in here... there are a lot more

examples
AR (asgard rising still active)
ANTS (quinda dead though)
GOD MOD (remarcably still active mod Oo)

A WWIII MOD IN MODB THAT ALTERED TO ZERO HOUR ENGINE

A SUPCOMANDER MOD about future warfare turned to c&c 3 engine

Battletech mod, was resurected for a while without a single post in the spring forums.

FF final frontier mod was resurected for a while as well......

and a shit tons of dead projects..............

what i think when looking at this is the folowing:
people dont see any benefict in posting art work in these forums, or any doubts for that mater.

a belgium friend of mine that played spring, he said of all the open source ive played this is the most awesome, yet this is the one i wouldnt spend my free time deving a mod for it

i was like wtf, this is awesome engine why you say that:
Reasons he said:
1┬║with all the engines out there i can choose from, with better ability to post, or recieve help in using it.

2┬║i can get more feedback, and more playerbase with deving a game with those engines than spring.

3┬║face it when you enter spring website you look at a game not a engine
when you start to want to make stuff, you go ask in channels like moddev, even main........
-what hapens next fail and unawnsered questions.

I for one ive tryed convincing in tons of websites people i knew that worked in projects, had work done, turning into spring, they said
"what?" "yeah looks nice" "i have more guarantees and suport in c&c3 engine and in supcom, sorry " "and a nice environment to work on
and special more people involved, in active and productive talking.

My opinion, spring forums doesnt have enough people, thats the problem, and everything is to lobby dependent,there are more people deving in the lobby than in the forums....................................

you cant discuss popularity imo when the main thing that draws people to spring isnt the engine, but the mods that are available to it.............

smoth once said to me, "dude if you mistake spring as being BA you are fuctard"

i still keep saying mods are what make spring. without them spring would only be a piece of code

BA, Nota, xta , e.t.c.... is what makes spring live for so mutch time

the engine is great yes, but maybe you should focus more on deving a nice mod, than an engine........thats my opinion
Argh

Post by Argh »

and a shit tons of dead projects..............
That's absolutely true, and your list is just scratching the surface.
people dont see any benefict in posting art work in these forums, or any doubts for that mater
I totally understand why, given the atmosphere. I only do it when I feel like taking random whining from jerks.
a belgium friend of mine that played spring, he said of all the open source ive played this is the most awesome, yet this is the one i wouldnt spend my free time deving a mod for it

i was like wtf, this is awesome engine why you say that:
Reasons he said:
1┬║with all the engines out there i can choose from, with better ability to post, or recieve help in using it.

2┬║i can get more feedback, and more playerbase with deving a game with those engines than spring.

3┬║face it when you enter spring website you look at a game not a engine
when you start to want to make stuff, you go ask in channels like moddev, even main........
-what hapens next fail and unawnsered questions.
That's all true.

If you want help, you have to post on the Forums.

If you post questions on the Forums, then a lot of people frequently won't answer questions or try to help (including me) because whenever I do that, I get attacked by people with axes to grind, instead of them offering superior help (presuming they know what they're actually talking about).

After awhile, I've just confined help to people who send me PMs. Which totally sucks, but I just got sick and tired of the giant flamefests every time I tried to write an article about how to do things.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

scifi wrote:Battletech mod, was resurected for a while without a single post in the spring forums.
Technically im still working on it btw, there's just a lot to do, and I'm not 'IMA NOUNCIN MAH MOD' until I have something releasable.
scifi

Post by scifi »

well pressure line

we had releasable stuff, the fealing was, why do it
no point in it, next step would be watching the fail of our mod

witch we wouldnt want it
one of those examples is CA, ofc it isnt the best mod, ofc some units look shit, but its also true that some stuff in there is great!!

another example is s44 and Star wars mod for spring, im still curiously wanting to see how spring people will react to the gameplay...............

grafic wise its great!!!, new gameplay ideas great as well.

but problem is if you dont convince the first time, oh god you cant make people play the late versions, or even post anything with constructive criticism
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

star wheres? never heard of it... there is a decent player base, but they are mostly playing mods that are using OTA IP which kind of cuts into Spring as a legitimate community. The TA dependent games are in a sense dragging other projects down, not because they are the most popular but because the jeopardize the integrity of the community and really limit Spring's ability to advertise and package to the masses. //end regurgitated rant heard x100 times
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Funny thing Argh :roll:

obviously there isnt much as zwzsg said...

that is such a dream if Spring is about 2-5x times popularer

and you cant compare Spring with Commcerical crap for obvious reason...
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

GSoC 2011 anyone?
knorke

Post by knorke »

You mean 2012?
I guess 2010 and 2011 were skipped for a reason..
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

We weren't ready. We might not be ready in 2012, but if the key developers decide otherwise I'll do what I can.

Return to “Community Blog”