miscellaneous aircraft behaviour fixes and improvements - Page 2

miscellaneous aircraft behaviour fixes and improvements

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Google_Frog

Re: miscellaneous aircraft behaviour fixes and improvements

Post by Google_Frog »

This would be quite handy. Currently at least xta is bugged by the fact that most aircraft stop too soon after engaging their targets, or if target disappears.
They stop attacking if their target disappears because there was a change to how long units track disappeared targets. I think the new timer is a bit too short because it ends up breaking runs or bomber attacks if you lose contact for a few seconds. This is the kind of thing that should be configurable.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Google_Frog wrote:
This would be quite handy. Currently at least xta is bugged by the fact that most aircraft stop too soon after engaging their targets, or if target disappears.
They stop attacking if their target disappears because there was a change to how long units track disappeared targets. I think the new timer is a bit too short because it ends up breaking runs or bomber attacks if you lose contact for a few seconds. This is the kind of thing that should be configurable.
+1 this breaks S44 and MCL too
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

+1 to that from me too

edit: a TargetDropped(unitID, targetID, x, y, z) callin, where x,y,z is the last known location of the targetID would enable games to handle this themselves.
Last edited by Silentwings on 29 Aug 2014, 17:35, edited 2 times in total.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Google_Frog wrote:
Yes, that but also after successfully having destroyed a target they stop instantly, often in enemy territory.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Yes, that but also after successfully having destroyed a target they stop instantly, often in enemy territory.
If they have no further orders then not carrying out any further orders is the expected behaviour.

(and if you want "auto-return to safe ground if idle after killing target", make a widget/gadget to give the order).
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I think you missed the word "instantly" in my post. It's not possible for aircraft to stop as if hitting an invisible wall, and it's certainly not the expected behaviour.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

If that really happens "instantly" (which I've never seen and can't reproduce) you should mantis it with a demo.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Jools wrote:I think you missed the word "instantly" in my post. It's not possible for aircraft to stop as if hitting an invisible wall, and it's certainly not the expected behaviour.
This is just because your brake rates are set incorrectly. https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... f4ca63a198
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I am aware of that change, however setting the brakerates accordingly by a factor of 10 did no difference, only a factor 100 seemed to do any difference. And it affects the acceleration rates and turnradiuses as I already wrote in the earlier post.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

There were multiple commits with many changes to aircraft movement (a year ago, too long ago for details/links) and it was said at the time that it was more than just a matter of multipliers.

Afaics the breakrate, turnrate, acceleration tags currently do exactly what they are supposed too.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

FLOZi wrote:
Google_Frog wrote:
+1 this breaks S44 and MCL too
There should be a feature request for configurable target loss time. I would be happy with a number in modrules but going further with a per-unit setting or some sort of lua interaction would be better.

Perhaps this is just a problem for aircraft and they need some way to move towards the last place they saw the target and re-aquire it if they see it again. With a target lost callin this would be nice to implement in a gadget.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

The problem is that the order is (silently) dropped. That should never happen. Maybe the attack order should be converted to a move one in case the target disappears.

Return to “Feature Requests”