Why is there so much old Spring in linux packages?

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

knorke

Post by knorke »

It seems there are constantly people in the lobby who have installed Spring via some package-thing and there is old stuff inside.
<nikin> hi. i have a slight problem with AI-s not spawing at all in XTA on archlinux with spring 94.1 and XTA 9.66. Tried mulltiple AI-s they seem to start but there are no enemy units, not even commanders
<[2up]knorke> xta9.66 is way old, where did you find that
<nikin> i got it from the Arch Linux AUR
Or all the people who download spring version 0.85 etc.

Can "we" not clean that up somehow? I am sure the people well who add stuff there mean well but if it is always outdated...
gajop

Re: Why is there so much old Spring in linux packages?

Post by gajop »

That's a bad example.
AUR is a collection of packages submitted by random people.
In this case someone submitted a package of an old XTA, and not Spring.
So technically this is like asking if people could remove old antivirus installs from file upload sites.

The solution is to do distribution ourselves, but the problem with that is that the best portable lobby which works with multiple engines is a java weblobby. Now try comparing that to Steam.ourselves.
knorke

Post by knorke »

but isnt it in AUR's etc. interesst to only have the latest and best files?
if asked nicely will they not remove old/broken downloads?
gajop

Post by gajop »

As I said, AUR is not a repository of official packages, everyone can submit stuff, so one can't really speak about "AUR's interests".
You can create an account there and flag stuff out of date, or create new packages if you want, but it seems like a horrible waste of time to upload games to random package managers when we have rapid.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Now that there are linux static builds it should be possible to write a simple little distro-agnostic installer, I believe.

Strictly to topic though, if he is an Arch user correct response is "RTFM". It's really easy to find the static binaries and install-from-source guide.
knorke

Post by knorke »

it seems like a horrible waste of time to upload games to random package managers when we have rapid.
No, the problem is that users use these packages instead of rapid or instead of the correct installers.
People download broken stuff from 3rd party and we lose them as players.

Something spring-related gets added to some package and forgetten about. Half a year later it is outdated but still gets downloaded.
If flagging stuff is only way to prevent that then it should be done imo?
Though with so many different packages thing it is a bit stupid?
JoeChip

Post by JoeChip »

I can tell as a new linux user that I expect to download and run something (and my distro will ask me a root password if needed) or the old version (installed trough the standard installer/repo) to update itself. As a JWS user, I find it really hard to have a functionnal online game running. Auto-update is not a very new technology...

(Sorry for my english)
parker

Post by parker »

JoeChip wrote:I can tell as a new linux user that I expect to download and run something (and my distro will ask me a root password if needed) or the old version (installed trough the standard installer/repo) to update itself. As a JWS user, I find it really hard to have a functionnal online game running. Auto-update is not a very new technology...

(Sorry for my english)

My work around is an add for weblobby,
step1 install firefox
step2 install java
step3 http://weblobby.springrts.com/

Debian distro is still 88
JoeChip

Post by JoeChip »

That's only a workaround, as I don't want to run Java while playing, 'cause my quadcore CPU isn't always enough for Spring alone... I found obvious that all linux apps were supposed to be automatically updated, wich is the case for most of them... Maybe at least SpringLobby should detect and dl Spring updates, like it does for the games...? After all, it's the "official" lobby, isn't it ?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

JoeChip wrote:That's only a workaround, as I don't want to run Java while playing, 'cause my quadcore CPU isn't always enough for Spring alone... I found obvious that all linux apps were supposed to be automatically updated, wich is the case for most of them... Maybe at least SpringLobby should detect and dl Spring updates, like it does for the games...? After all, it's the "official" lobby, isn't it ?
You can install openjdk if you don't already have it. With regards to officiality of lobby, consider that spring games are going in a different direction than what they used to. It is not intended for the end user (players) to install a game engine. They should either install a game which includes a lobby and gets the engine version as needed, or join weblobby which gets the engine as needed.

There are a few bumps in the process for linux, but people have been managing to overcome them, as you have seen.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

having a quad core and being afraid of running a single JVM for a relatively simple user program is so 2000.
(... except for the hardware)

i heard they want to make pones now, that do not need to be connected to a plug while using them!
JoeChip

Post by JoeChip »

Sure :) but i can"t run mt spring because i have no sound with it... And i probably just stick to "my" springlobby :) but i'll try... One day... But it stays a workaround, by definition not the "neat" (so '90s word...?) way to do. For me it's anyway ok, but I tried to help to have more players...
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i don't understand what you mean with it being a workaround and therefore by definition non optimal or what. i can assure you, that CarRepairer, who is actively developing weblobby, did not start this project as a workaround solution. just cause someone calls it a workaround...
springlobby is not as actively developed as it was 4 years ago, and it is unlikely that this will change, except there will be new dev(s), which is also unlikely.
JoeChip

Post by JoeChip »

Ok thanks, i'm gonna really try soon. Maybe one should promote weblobby as the standard way of accessing mp games...? When coming for the first time to play, say there : http://springrts.com/wiki/GamesDownloads, there is no mention of weblobby, it seems just that ZeroK+lobby is the "normal" way to do... At least when you're under win...

All this is great job, and I admire it. I just would like to help to have more players, for several reasons. I'm sure we share at least some of these reasons. If the "neat" way to do is weblobby, have weblobby as first of the list. Otherwise it appears as a workaround... No judgment in what I say, I'm talking about perceptions of a new user. My english can cause misperceptions of what I mean. Try to stick to words.
JoeChip

Post by JoeChip »

I tried. No sound. It's a recurrent problem with OpenJDK7. This problem doesn't usually occurs with Sun Java 6, + I need it to work. Does weblobby really need JRE7 ? If not, you'd beter set 1.6 or even 1.5 as minimal JRE version...

+ I think Java is better used trough JWS than through an applet... Think about it...

Return to “Linux”