I'm willing to take over the Ubuntu Spring packages - Page 3

I'm willing to take over the Ubuntu Spring packages

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

vital

Post by vital »

semi wrote:0.74b3 could be installed to debian like this:

Code: Select all

echo "deb http://www.osrts.info/~tvo/deb etch spring" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
aptitude update
aptitude install spring spring-data
Will you guys who made current .debs please talk to Tobi and upload the packages to his apt repository, so while you are in the process of solving the problem in the long run, people who are already using the previous debs could upgrade easily today?
+1
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

CautionToTheWind wrote:The problem with official packages is update frequency. Being a version behind just won't cut it when the master server refuses the connection.

In my opinion the existing debs are very close to a perfect solution. If we could get our own repository, so that i dont even have to manually download the debs, that would be perfect. Later we could put a linux lobby in those repos too.
Exactly. Ubuntu and Debian will not release updates to already released versions. The best we can hope for is that it'll be a long while between Spring releases and that the current distribution will have the current package (or it'll creep in through backports). We'll need our own repository anyway - in fact this is very similar to what happens with Wine, which has even more frequent releases than Spring.
semi wrote:Will you guys who made current .debs please talk to Tobi and upload the packages to his apt repository, so while you are in the process of solving the problem in the long run, people who are already using the previous debs could upgrade easily today?
Agreed, I'll start hunting him down. If I can get trusted to run the machine, it'll be pretty much the same as the winehq APT repository.

I could even maintain edgy and etch forks like I do for Wine.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Tobi is on vacation for a few weeks.
The plan is to do Spring releases with a higher interval so the problem with updating distro releases will remain a issue for now.

Return to “Linux”