Plans for writing a new rts engine - Page 3

Plans for writing a new rts engine

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Unles you were joking SpikedHelmet, your a dick. Why the hell would you do that? I mean.... urggg, I just can't even comprehend why someone would type that.

aGorm
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Call the new RTS Off-Spring!
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

SpikedHelmet wrote:I will personally hack any commercial product based off of this and distribute it free of charge.
LOL

Now there's a OS minded person. plz, just try to understand what GPL and LGPL stands for.
diggz2k

Post by diggz2k »

So you are taking pretty much all of the mtr ideas and windows to linux and designing the new one with those in mind? I hope you get all of the MTR's.

This will be great Good Luck.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

SpikedHelmet wrote:I will personally hack any commercial product based off of this and distribute it free of charge.
And myself and others will see to it that you pay for your crime. You really are nothing but a bit of trash.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

So instead of paying 2 bucks for a game, you would hack it and waste 20+ hours of life trying to hack the code I would make, then distributing said code..

Whatever..
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

SpikedHelmet either got weird humour or likes to make a fool of himself...
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I'm hoping it was weird humor, cuz selling a game/mod/whatever for more than 5 bucks is retarded..

And anyone who can't cough up 5 bucks for a game is a cheapskate :wink:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Snipawolf wrote:I'm hoping it was weird humor, cuz selling a game/mod/whatever for more than 5 bucks is retarded..

And anyone who can't cough up 5 bucks for a game is a cheapskate :wink:
Honestly 10 bucks should be reasonable if it's being sold in stores (And for that you need a distributor anyway).
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I'm probably going to do it by online downloading, who would distribute a 14-15 year old's game.. Probably not many.. However, if I happened to find someone who would do it, I probably would take 'em up on the offer..

Provided they could deal with the problem of hackers, etc..
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Snipawolf wrote:Provided they could deal with the problem of hackers, etc..
Refer the JC's previous post.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Spiked helmet, that was very dissapointing, and its comments like that that're giving our community a bad name.

Suffice to say that your comment is not representative of the OpenSource mindset.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

I'd strongly suggest reevaluating the 100% full rewrite decision if you want to release in an acceptable (i.e. non-glacial ;)) time frame. Practice shows that full rewrites don't work so well (OTOH, IMHO nothing could be better than going ogre3d, a truly great decision) so at the very least please do some maintenance for spring after 0.73b2 and maybe make sm3 map format work?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

sm3 works, jelmer just forgot to package the sm3 shaders with the installer.
mehere101

Post by mehere101 »

... So in practice it doesn't work
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

Yes.
Monkwarrior

Post by Monkwarrior »

Excellent idea.
It is the only way to invest in a great future for this community and all it's dedicated modders. I would suggest not to compromise too much with holding on to old structures just because modders "are used to those". On the other hand modders provide the vains thru which the community blood is running so some sort of middle way should be found (migrating paths etc).

Good luck with this great idea.

Monk.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

imbaczek wrote:... Practice shows that full rewrites don't work so well ...
My bet is that you just invented that information...
You are entirely wrong, that's for sure.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Your bet is your bet, I'm talking from experience. A rewrite is very prone to be itself rewritten several times, since it's simply impossible to design *everything* right no matter how many times you start from scratch. (And by that I mean what I previously misleadingly described as 'don't work well'.)
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

Monkwarrior wrote:Excellent idea.
It is the only way to invest in a great future for this community and all it's dedicated modders. I would suggest not to compromise too much with holding on to old structures just because modders "are used to those". On the other hand modders provide the vains thru which the community blood is running so some sort of middle way should be found (migrating paths etc).

Good luck with this great idea.

Monk.
Yeah, it really sounds like they are going to take over the whole trashheap of legacy cruft, which is contraproductive at best.

Hint: get a generic model format, for example. Something with an existing toolchain. It would be shame to see something like the upspring drama ("day 134: still fucks up textures and makes noobs whine") on the new engine again.

Its a 1000 times faster to convert something INTO well supported format, than from one into your pet-format of choice.

Return to “News”