Spring 85.0! - Page 3

Spring 85.0!

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
[PinK]Pizzy

Re: Spring 85.0!

Post by [PinK]Pizzy »

VBS who now develop new BA fixed some problems but he said he dont know how to fix pathing problem.
Units dont loose their speed when they meet some barrier.For example if you build 1 dragon(wall) before and behind kbot lab kbots will just tunell it through and will fired out.
Waiting of lab have some problems too.In near there is nanotower it will be unwait after nano make unit in the lab.
Best regards,Pizdo!
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Just to be clear: I dont develop BA now I just did some fixes and did the release.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Just to make things clear: I dont develoop JW. I just apply fixxes and solve some probeLemas!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

BA has no 'developer' there are developers, and none are permanent positions, report BA bugs on the google code project page
smoth

Post by smoth »

very_bad_soldier wrote:Just to be clear: I dont develop BA now I just did some fixes and did the release.
This is exactly the sort of exemplary effort I was describing! A player who sees an issue and rather than complain and rage actually made effort and patched ba! Good on ya VBS!
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

but why is it so rare. And how can we get more people to comit?

My suggestion, make a game that makes lua programming a plus. Like for example the biggest nukefiring bertha ever, is turned by luacomands entered into the console.

Turn(cannon,x_axis,math.rad(-45),4)
Turn(cannon,y_axis,math.rad(112),4)
RangeofShot =145;

--cannon posts a short tutorial on how to use it, if player tries to mousecontroll it.

a lua-tutorial appears, that doesent even need you to want to become a modder or programer. It just makes you one, by playing the BA.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

one way of getting more commits (most likely not the most profitable one, but sure an easy one), is to use a distributed SCM. ;-)
there is not only git, but also mercurial and bazaar. which.. as much as i got it, are more (windows-)user friendly in the way game devs want it, mercurial some, bazaar a lot*.

* not my own experience, but that seems to be kind of consensus, and the main reason why these get used, instead of git.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Yeah, but people dont become full-devs over night. They have to start somewhere.. where is knorke road to recent advaces when you need it..
anyway.. you start with something easy, like for example mapping or modelling, but the step to starting to mod is to wide. Many people just drop the fun where its starting.
Allowing them.. gamelike to build there first luascript.. that would be kindof a suprise to them once they attempt a mod.
We:"Learn2Lua"
Newb:"Dunno.SoundsDifficult..wait a second, thats the same code lines you need in BA to aim the ueber bertha."
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Having bugs is one thing, and fixable, but not having backwards compatibility by design is just sad imo. That you cannot play the same BA I played 2 years ago, or any game at all as it was then.

And can someone give a synopsis on what the new optional pathing system is like?
Also what were the changes to the non-QTPFS pathing, that cause the bouncing etc.? I thought pathing was mostly ok in the last version if the units are given a sensible turninplacespeedlimit value (ie. something other than 0 or maxspeed).
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

Thanx for new release but is there a fix for unit groups not working?

I am used to ctrl +1,2,3 for last 15 years (since warcraft1 irrc) and cant rly play RTS without it :oops:
dcore221

Post by dcore221 »

unit groups not working, sync errors
please fix :(
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

ginekolog wrote:Thanx for new release but is there a fix for unit groups not working?
Putting

Code: Select all

unbindaction specteam
into your uikeys.txt should fix it.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

very_bad_soldier wrote: Putting

unbindaction specteam
You just made a lot of people very happy!
massive

Post by massive »

very_bad_soldier wrote:Putting

unbindaction specteam
We need put this in http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27154 and update topic.
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
ginekolog wrote:Thanx for new release but is there a fix for unit groups not working?
Putting

unbindaction specteam
Thanx a lot, its working, i can still play game afterall :) 8)
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I'd say the greatest problem with this engine version is the repulsive buildings and the secondary bugs it causes. Units can get stuck or slowed down in bases due to repulsion that sends them a ridiculous distance and ships can become stuck on land.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

The end game stats are broken (tested in 85 and 84) here, only mine are displayed (the curves are okay) and the replay file only stores my stats too (tested in 85 and 84)

I was spec every time (it may only happen when you're spectator)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Google_Frog wrote:I'd say the greatest problem with this engine version is the repulsive buildings and the secondary bugs it causes. Units can get stuck or slowed down in bases due to repulsion that sends them a ridiculous distance and ships can become stuck on land.
Evo units only get pushed a small distance. Are zk units getting pushed halfway across the map or something?

What is smoothlines btw?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Zero-K players found that putting an llt inside a jump factory launches newly built units across the map. If it flies off the map it teleports to the nearest edge, so it was basically an instant teleport to inside of enemy base. :D

Smoothlines is anti-aliasing for the various interface lines drawn on the map, like the range circle, the default selection square, command queue lines, etc. It makes them look nice and not jaggedy without needing full-screen anti-aliasing I guess. Even with a crappy laptop and low settings I've always played with them on, but I guess not everyone likes them.
se5a

Post by se5a »

PicassoCT wrote:but why is it so rare. And how can we get more people to comit?

My suggestion, make a game that makes lua programming a plus. Like for example the biggest nukefiring bertha ever, is turned by luacomands entered into the console.

Turn(cannon,x_axis,math.rad(-45),4)
Turn(cannon,y_axis,math.rad(112),4)
RangeofShot =145;

--cannon posts a short tutorial on how to use it, if player tries to mousecontroll it.

a lua-tutorial appears, that doesent even need you to want to become a modder or programer. It just makes you one, by playing the BA.
I kind of like this idea... a Scorched Earth Mod with lua commands!

Return to “News”