Your playing style? - Page 4

Your playing style?

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

pintle

Post by pintle »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:my xta 3v3+ strat

on large maps, I always go air and airdrop my com near the opponents base and whack up llts, use con plane to get an early hlt up, stopped their early exapsnion. then one const plane relcaims the air plant while the com build bot lab. and the, 3/4 of the map is yours, until their teammaps laugh a join attack and crush you out the game
Was it you who tried that to us on small sup and got totally ownernated in the first 10 mins? :P

Tbh it did divert quite a lot of my resources and micro time away from the front to support my ally, coulda turned out better for you if your team had capitalised on it, or began using atlases/hulks to ferry across troops
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Recently in a game of AA on Small Supreme I saw one player fly over a con plane, build a single LLT... and then destroy the retreating enemy commander without losing the LLT. I believe that structure gobbled well beyond an additional ten times the cost of making it over the next few minutes, eventually succumbing to a large force of hovercraft.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

pintle wrote:
1v0ry_k1ng wrote:my xta 3v3+ strat

on large maps, I always go air and airdrop my com near the opponents base and whack up llts, use con plane to get an early hlt up, stopped their early exapsnion. then one const plane relcaims the air plant while the com build bot lab. and the, 3/4 of the map is yours, until their teammaps laugh a join attack and crush you out the game
Was it you who tried that to us on small sup and got totally ownernated in the first 10 mins? :P

Tbh it did divert quite a lot of my resources and micro time away from the front to support my ally, coulda turned out better for you if your team had capitalised on it, or began using atlases/hulks to ferry across troops
actually, it was about 15 minutes, which considering I landed on the island 2 minutes behind your team and kept you all distracted for ages, would have been a gamewinner if my allies wernt a two ranker and a star AA player who was like "lol me porc". I hate it when you sacrifice yourself so your allies to tech, only to find they have both bummed around doing nothing for 15 minutes. airdrops FTW
pintle

Post by pintle »

if im not up front, peewee rushing teh middle, first unit i build is a fighter. It patrols the entire of my teams side of the map, the little island with the 2 mex spots, and a bit behind the line in the middle. Granted at the beginning its mainly there to cover the rocks from enemy reclaiming with an air con, but unless somebody is willing to risk transporting their con (E: comm) over i think they would have a very hard time gaining a foothold.
Bah this is pointless hypothetics.

In AA do people often reclaim t1 lab to go t2?
Last edited by pintle on 07 Nov 2006, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Some people do, on certain maps. Low metal maps, for example.

I personally choose not to.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

I think it was someone in WarC I first saw use fighters to assassinate commanders, NOiZE or Sleksa.

Nixa was the first I saw to ever use them against instigators (which worked very well) and since that fighters got pretty popular with SmuG as general purpose units for base defence and assassination.
DemO

Post by DemO »

Hmm, I remember beating NoiZe with fighter comm back when i first found out about it from watching nixa (when very few people knew) and i remember at the time NoiZe didnt seem to know about it and was taken by surprise, which makes me think he wouldn't have introduced it first, but i may just be horribly wrong and he forgot to build anti air to counter his own strategy or something :P

Also i've never actually seen sleska make use of air, he seems more like the ground orientated player, but again i may just be ill informed since I havnt seen him play that much, maybe 10 or 15 games.

I remember Nixa saying once "air > all" and constantly see him using air in games, which makes it seem more likely that he would come up with such a strategy, to be honest i really aint sure though, you'd have to ask him if he learned it from someone else or "invented" it himself:)
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

I would almost be sure it was Nixa who started the trend of people going air for fighters early game, but quite a bit earlier I'd seen it used in isolated games where fighters were used to take out commanders that pushed to the middle of comet.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I first saw the technique employed on Supreme Battlefield, 4v4. Two players on one side had gone air, and coordinated to remove their chief land foe as he rushed to the middle.
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

I first saw the technique used by myself many months ago. It was against the AI, and I built nothing but fighters from about 8 factories and eventually wiped out 3 allied AAIs. Against humans I've used fighters for raids on mexes and windmills a couple times, and as defence in an emergency but can't recall having killed a com using them.

My playing style definitely tends towards a chaotic spidery expansion. Usually late to go level 2, spam a lot of level 1 attack units, build few defences and try and kill the enemy before they get a killer econ to overwhelm me. Or before they kill me because of my lack of defence. And my moto of late has been reclaim ftw. Its fun moving squads of hovers into an unexpected area, mixed in with hover cons that reclaim stuff and build temporary mexes in enemy territory while the attack is still in progress. Like today where the defender had beaten of my hover tanks and was trying to rebuild his mexes, and one of my hover cons was able to reclaim his fark :)
Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn »

Ishach wrote:I would almost be sure it was Nixa who started the trend of people going air for fighters early game, but quite a bit earlier I'd seen it used in isolated games where fighters were used to take out commanders that pushed to the middle of comet.
Yeah comm assasination with fighters (or brawlers earlier) was there for long time. It wasn't much used because people didn't want to win on such way (at least that was my case), since most of games are casual/friendly ones. Of course when competitive games started (with tournament/ladder) this tactic became more used. Nixa was the one who started the trend though. Although most of good players predicted this and either made 2nd lab air or made some anti air. But yeah it worked often, very often.
pintle

Post by pintle »

i thought fighter com killing was old skool OTA tactic?
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

pintle wrote:i thought fighter com killing was old skool OTA tactic?
It was/is.

Just that a lot of ppl seem to be rediscovering it. :P
det

Post by det »

I like to amass groups of mavs/snipers/archangels. I keep them all on seperate hotkeys. Then I micro to keep mavs bewteen the enemy and sniper/aa. I reatreat as anything approaches and then snipers pick them off. When they retreat I follow. I have owned massive groups of heavy tanks this way.
DemO

Post by DemO »

Hmm yes you did this to me on Moon Quartet i remember in a teamgame where i had an insane amount of cars.

You had the top right corner all to yourself coz our allies couldnt expand for shit and the boxes started corner vs corner, and i had entire bottom/middle of the map, but then i saw maybe 8 mavs coming towards my base and figured yeah no bother i'll just send cars to engulf them and take them out.. *double clicks on huge group of flash tanks spamming out from 5 l1 labs*

So i'm watching these cars come into range of mavs then suddenly they start running away (as you would expect) so i chase....only to see flash tanks literally exploding as they chase, and i'm thinking, DAMN mavs are overpowered when you got 8 of them in a line.

Tried the same again later with even MORE flash tanks, backed up with at least 20 lightning tanks, and the same thing happened - within 20 seconds they were all dead, and all I can see is 10 mavs running away. Second time the only thing i could come up with was that mavs had insane exp from the first raid that failed, then only after the game realised that det had about 40 snipers sitting behind his mavs taking out all my units in quick succession as soon as they came into LOS.

Needless to say, i killed dets base with about 200 k of flash tanks, but his combination of snipers/mavs lasted the entire game, going around the map slowly but surely killing off all my teammates, till it was left me vs 3 + det's army which now had crazy experience no doubt. He cost me at least 3 large raid's worth of units trying to kill mavs which would otherwise have went straight through the enemy...

He basically won that game for his team, the point is that his combination was actually really effective in large numbers (with many snipers) the way he micro'd his units. So demeaning to see 100 flash tanks dissapear and what looks like spontaneously explode when all you want to do is catch up with some mavericks.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the lesson: MIX YOUR UNITS. mavs and snipers have low health. a gunship gang would have delivered some beats, and arty could be used to supress. "lol i maek flash" cant be expected to always come out on top
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Snipers can be a pain in the ass. I've had this done to me before, it slowed me down but wasn't really sufficent to keep me from winning.
DemO

Post by DemO »

LOL, you think i dont know how to mix units? I had gunships aswell, but he sends those overpowered anti air kbots with his mav/sniper spam - and i wasnt just talking about a FEW snipers, he had fucking shit loads...any ground based units couldnt even get close...

Plus in that particular game i had a huge map coverage (the entire bottom/middle of moon quartet is a lot of ground to defend from an enemy team that literally has me surrounded), its not like a game of altored where you can rely on static defence while switching to different unit types, i needed every single flash tank i had on the map just to stay alive, also had lightning tanks, tech 1 air and tech 2 air, but against 3 players that are actually capable its hard to hang onto that much ground.

They won because our team failed to put pressure on a couple of the players on enemy team - det and one of his allys got to porc/expand with basically no resistance at the top of the map - our team started in the dark side of map and 2 of our allys never sent a unit into the light side. That let det and his ally to spam out a shit load of units that wern't used to defend because simply put nobody attacked them except me (opposite end of the map, by that time it was too late)

Regardless, the whole point in my last post was to say that yes, det's combination seems to work very well in those sorts of circumstances, not to bitch about losing flash tanks, incase you mispercieved what i was saying.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

In old school TA, bombers were the de facto air unit of choice, instead of fighters, mainly because missile unit spam was the best strategy, and fighters die too quickly from even a few of those shots.
DemO

Post by DemO »

I think core fighters are still instagibs in AA from missile towers

Return to “Ingame Community”