I came, I saw, I left

I came, I saw, I left

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

NeOmega

I came, I saw, I left

Post by NeOmega »

I was looking for a new 3d project, found spring. TA is the best RTS, I've played, and spring made it look pretty good. Here is what I've done a long time ago:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=102263
I have become much more proficient in Blender in the six years since, both low poly and high poly work, even did a professional stint with it.

So I got addicted to spring and played for about 2 weeks straight.

Here is what I observed:
1. Good players yelling at newbs for being newbs, or for the good player's own failures. It gets really aggravating after I see it the 100th time.
Hi entire [st] clan, esp snowwhite
2. players scrawling OMGWTF's all over newbs maps/bases units, or "give me your commander, ill use it better" "give me your units, Ill use them better" "help the team win" It gets really aggravating after I see it the 100th time.
hi axiomatic, [fx]sucky lord
3. good players picking up their ally's coms, and blowing them up over enemy bases, or boxing them in light mines, because they personally screwed up and want a restart. It gets really aggravating after I see it the 100th time.
hi V_shadow_V, hi [LAP]Bami/bierbuik
4. players scrawling all over the map, covering it in lines
5. Good players spec-ing/kicking/banning newbs, and getting the votes to do so, on servers that say "newbies welcome" because the newbies aren't good players.
hi [PWN]Muppet
6. trolls/enablers who cheer on such puerile antics.

etc
etc
etc

bunch of assholes. there is no recourse for this, and the assholes keep being assholes, day in, day out. Ruining the hard work put into the project. Newbs come and go. It's really just not a fun experience. The game is fun, most of the players are nice, but there are just way too many assholes. Way too many, and way too many people who only care about winning, or people afraid to call out/ban asshole players because they know them, or have played with them before, or because the asshole is just being a prick to some nameless newb that nobody gives a fuck about, because, you know, winning is everything. Eventually, if you have a memory like mine, you can't play without ending up on some prick's team, who wants you to try harder to win for them. As if.

You all win, I'm out. Enjoy playing with an ever dwindling number of players. So much effort going into a project with less and less people around to enjoy it. It's a real shame, but I'll certainly not be contributing.
Last edited by NeOmega on 15 Dec 2010, 11:45, edited 3 times in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: I came, I saw, I left

Post by zwzsg »

Try to play something else than BA DSD.

For instance, try hosting a game of Cursed, GundamRTS, Kernel Panic. It will be a bit harder to get the game started: There won't be open games, you'll have to create the battleroom yourself. And you may have to wait 5mins for players to join. But once ingame, people won't be that obssessed with winning, and anyway those games have no commanders, thus removing the whole comm-nap and comm-bomb griefs.
Masure

Post by Masure »

There is no rules in the community. Actualy, there are, they're not followed. Moderation team (not the whole obviously) doesn't ban people.

- they don't want to ban funny trolls (often mates)
- there is no link between game account / forum account. No will to do so.
- people create account to act badly
- moderation members are self proclaimed, there is no vote to choose moderators. If you ask for it, you get answered "no democratic vote can be applied cause we can't guarantee it will be a representative vote". So instead, they promote mates as a moderator (more representative).

Theses guidelines followed for years lead to what you say.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I assume you mean BA every time you say spring. From what I can tell the non-BA players tend to form a different community that is much nicer. So as zwzsg said, host some other game and you'll probably get a few people joining.

For large regular games apart from BA try ZK, though this is only predictably regular on weekends.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

hell its not our fault if you are a fucking noob !!!
Masure

Post by Masure »

Google_Frog wrote:I assume you mean BA every time you say spring. From what I can tell the non-BA players tend to form a different community that is much nicer. So as zwzsg said, host some other game and you'll probably get a few people joining.

For large regular games apart from BA try ZK, though this is only predictably regular on weekends.
You replied to my post ?

I talk about spring cause what I say is not BA specific. This starts in the forum and has nothing related to BA. It could be related to BA since it's the only mod with players. No players = No assholes.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

well ppl u mentioned are mostly idiots, but, luckly they play only ba dsd. avoid it and spring becomes better place. according shitty modding, problem is, that getting rid of idiots would mean banning half of ppl, so...
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

You are right: Many people are here just to win, and in team game it naturally means that idiots start to blame their team cos ofc they are perfect and do not make mistakes.

And that is sad.

But, fortunately, as said above, these idiots play mostly BA (except some pricks of XTA) and you can get rid of the problem just by changing to for example in ZK/CA or SA.

And If you love the game, couple barks shouldnt hurt you, the people yelling and calling you a noob are usually noobs themselves, and ones that should be ignored anyway.

BTW: CIV III rules!
RonaldRus94

Post by RonaldRus94 »

i tried to host GundamRTS, Kernel Panic games. but could not create the battlerooms. it seem that i have to waste a huge time to do it.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

just open your own auto-host (likely, someone would host one for you even, if you asked the right people), or ask for mod-rights on some existing ones. i saw Neo play yesterday, he was quite good, and it were multiple games NOT on DSD. :P
If you want to be more rigorous, you could implement a new system for ratings/trust or something.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

hoijui wrote:or ask for mod-rights on some existing ones.
wut? i think u meant to say it about some other game
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

fx and all those people you mentioned are 12 year old nubtrolls, avoid games like that (8v8 badsd) and you should be good. there is a 1v1 noobs welcome autohost that has some better players giving tips about the game. Also, ffa games can be fun.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i kind of agree with most advises here, just that they get one thing wrong: the 12 year old trolls do not stick to BA DSD, but to BA (and Tech Annihilation), any map. indeed, other games are usually much more civilized (i know it from S44, for example). of course you have to wait longer for games to start sometimes there. though, that may be the only reason that there are so little trolls. :/
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

BaNa wrote:fx and all those people you mentioned are 12 year old nubtrolls, avoid games like that (8v8 badsd) and you should be good. there is a 1v1 noobs welcome autohost that has some better players giving tips about the game. Also, ffa games can be fun.
its newbies welcome, or u visit some host i dont know

and tbh, tech annihilation (someone change this name, TA is misleading) got far less trolls, actually i havent seen any :c
babbles

Post by babbles »

play xta or sa, or even nota, ba isn't the only ota game that is played
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

BaNa wrote:fx and all those people you mentioned are 12 year old nubtrolls
You're right, Diode = Fx.
Masure

Post by Masure »

You guys think the problem is mod related ?

edit : look http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 88#p462688

XTA and same shit
I reported instant flaming/trolling posts in the 1st tech annihilation thread which have been moderated.
You can find the same in every mod.

You guys are lying to promote mods but the problem is not mod related.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Masure wrote:You guys think the problem is mod related ?

edit : look http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 88#p462688

XTA and same shit
I reported instant flaming/trolling posts in the 1st tech annihilation thread which have been moderated.
You can find the same in every mod.

You guys are lying to promote mods but the problem is not mod related.
SirArtturi wrote: [...] But, fortunately, as said above, these idiots play mostly BA (except some pricks of XTA) and you can get rid of the problem just by changing to for example in ZK/CA or SA.
It's not mod related. It's related to that in certain point, mod reaches the level where some kids and fucktards have played the game enough to think they are pro in it, and every lost game is too much for their e-penises.
Masure

Post by Masure »

So you agree this is people related. So please don't let those "yeah don't play BA, play XX where people are nice". This is untrue and misleading.

Ingame/forum account link and tougher moderation for bad behaviour is the key. People act like shit cause

1) they're assholes
2) they don't get blamed for it
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Masure wrote:So you agree this is people related. So please don't let those "yeah don't play BA, play XX where people are nice". This is untrue and misleading.

Ingame/forum account link and tougher moderation for bad behaviour is the key. People act like shit cause

1) they're assholes
2) they don't get blamed for it
Ofc its people related, no doubt. Some mods are just not yet infected by those assholes...

Return to “Ingame Community”