Definition of a "pro" player.

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

So, we had some convo about this with Jaz and Aeon and I still got my own opinions about what kind of player is pro and what kind of player is not.

So first of all, maybe the most important attribute for a pro is to know how to play every size of games. So before anyone comes here to name the best 1on1 players I just say, I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about "almighty" players that can do everything properly. A pro should be good at playing 1on1, smaller team games and bigger team games.

I can easily define a good 1on1 player :D winner of some 1on1 tourney must be a good 1on1 player, it still doesn't tell if he is good @ every size of games though.

So if someone got the point, and hopefully you all got, please tell us your definition for a pro player.
Last edited by Carpenter on 01 Jan 2010, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Definition of a "pro" player.

Post by zwzsg »

A PR0 is someone who's good in 1v1.

Someonee who only win team games or FFA is a n00bz0r.

:wink:
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Pros make money
aegis

Post by aegis »

anyone who is me
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

Aww, is this how the forums work nowadays, everyone just actually makes funny of everything (or fun of me?). Come on give your option or did I start a pointless thread?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

You started a pointless thread. Humane discussions remain in PM's.
Gota

Post by Gota »

The only way you can actually compare a player with another is through 1v1.
It is very hard to estimate who is a better team player.
The final say is in 1v1 games.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Gota wrote:The only way you can actually compare a player with another is through 1v1.
I agree... You can compare teams but its not easy to compare individual players in teamgames. If you can work as a team with someone who youre used to teaming with, its bit different from being good when playing with random bitches.

And in big dsd games etc theres never a whole team that plays properly as a team, in coordination.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

JohannesH wrote:
Gota wrote:The only way you can actually compare a player with another is through 1v1.
I agree... You can compare teams but its not easy to compare individual players in teamgames. If you can work as a team with someone who youre used to teaming with, its bit different from being good when playing with random bitches.

And in big dsd games etc theres never a whole team that plays properly as a team, in coordination.
Me and Drone are probably the most coordinated pair in Spring. (Not bragging or saying we're good, just saying we talk and adjust outselves accordingly a lot). It's a shame so many people don't bother to talk to their team...
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

Hmmh, yeah well true, 1on1 is the only way actually to compare players but it still doesnt make you "pro". I've seen a lot of players that have done well in 1on1 but not so well in team games. Good example is [MARS]AlbAtoR. He is imo one of the best team players in spring, but not that notable at 1on1. So basically if he was good at 1on1, he could be awesome.

So Spring needs a lot more those all around players who can find out some sort of solution in every situation during the game, I mean normally some newbie would just try to porc or give up, but players who can and will find out something unpredictable are the supermen next to god.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Carpenter wrote:Hmmh, yeah well true, 1on1 is the only way actually to compare players but it still doesnt make you "pro". I've seen a lot of players that have done well in 1on1 but not so well in team games. Good example is [MARS]AlbAtoR. He is imo one of the best team players in spring, but not that notable at 1on1. So basically if he was good at 1on1, he could be awesome.

So Spring needs a lot more those all around players who can find out some sort of solution in every situation during the game, I mean normally some newbie would just try to porc or give up, but players who can and will find out something unpredictable are the supermen next to god.
I'm pretty similar. I'm a team player, terrible at 1v1 though. Mainly cause I crumble under pressure. I can quite happily play anything more than 1v1 though. 2v2 is fine, dunno why. I suppose it's just nice to have company, even if they aren't doing anything useful...

Andy and Flop are probably the best example of exactly the opposite :-) They're probably just loners irl so they're used to it <333
Gota

Post by Gota »

Gloat and put somebody down...
Do you get a prize?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Gota wrote:Gloat and put somebody down...
Do you get a prize?
Why is that putting somebody down? I'd prefer to be better at 1v1 rather than team games and they're obviously better players overall anyway...

Yes, I'd like a prize please.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

um im pro. and tribulex. also some xta players. and some ba players. but only if i say so. That makes about 10 or 20.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Professionals earn money for their play.

In the context of Spring, I usually interpret "pro" as skilled in a specific game or mod, as dependent on the relative skill levels seen in play. Godde is "pro" in just about anything he decides to play. Day is similar. These are just people who are "pro" in many games on the engine. Chapparal is or was "pro" in Expand & Exterminate, at one point, Ashnal was "pro" in Kernel Panic.

Skilled people in particular games are those who at some point played regularly and either won regularly or played well consistently. I distinguish between current and past status based on capability - I was a 1944 "pro" once, but am no longer for I can no longer play at that level. Day remains a "pro" because he could come back and after five or eight games prove as able as he ever was.
tombom

Post by tombom »

their name contains the word "tombom"
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

tbh, 1v1 is greatly more demanding than teamgames, where you only have to manage a narrow front, raiding quickly becomes redundant and you have people to cover for you when you mess up. players normally progress from teamgame players, to small teamgames, to 1v1, as they mature and gain confidence at the games. people who never progress from teamgames are what we call 'noobstars', people who do ok on DSD but fail like baby in a real game
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Anyone who beats Godde at S44.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i'm with you there carpenter.

there are many players who are incredibly good at a certain type of strategy... for instance, comet catcher 1v1, dsd 8v8 frontline... when you put these players into their element, they are almost unbreakable.

however when you take a player out of their element, and put them into something new and strange (a different type of map, take away clan support, different mod etc) and they succeed, then i would say that this is the true defenition of pro-ness in spring.

after all, you can practice a certain strategy or gameplan until you have it perfected, but as soon as your enemy recognizes what you're doing, it can be defused... so the ability to react quickly and effectively to the changing attributes of the battle should be the true measure of pro-ness.

perfect example : google frog is our official "bottom line" balancer for evo. why? because i've never seen him lose or even significantly stumble in any of the testing versions... even though balances changed radically, he was able to take the changes and easily apply them to his overall strategy... consistently and thoroughly in every game i either played with him or specced him in.
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

Good to hear you're with me here.

And yes, that's funny how some 1on1 player (if you can say 1on1 player in this case) is good at small 1on1 maps, and he sucks at playing ccr for example. And I know a perfect example of this kind of player too; keijj0. :D

I dont know some ppl here might know his style of playing like 6 - 12 months ago when he was still active, I mean I got my ass kicked many times because I just simply couldn't predict his moves, and that's what I call with a name "unpredictable player". Then again he wasn't that good in bigger games anymore but yeah, I partially hated his way of playing but at the same time I tried to copy his way of playing.

And the point of this was, even 1on1 games are already a big part of being good, you need to know how to expand, you need to micro well, you need to predict things and scout and let's just say things you wouldn't normally do in bigger games and even if you did, it wouldn't be possible due to nubs stealing all your mexes. At least I dont predict something from every player in the enemy team when I'm playing tabula.

Now keijj0 is a noob again btw, amen.

Return to “Ingame Community”