Auto spammer effecting tasclient and possibly springlobby

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Right, [SI]Rage is using an auto spammer that is able to lock up a lobby and crash my computer.

[08:29:32] <lurker[]> yeah yeah, let me turn down the allowed message rate
[08:29:43] <lurker[]> if tasclient can lock your computer someting is wrong with it

I was directed by lurker to make a forum post about it.

Get it sorted please.
lurker

Re: Auto spammer effecting tasclient and possibly springlobby

Post by lurker »

'It' there was more about your computer, I would have quoted the earlier line, but whatever. Shouldn't make more than a dozen popups. And I guess you haven't used springlobby? For reference, it does not make a popup per pm.

As far as spamming itself, I need to adjust the server to track command rate.

As far as rage, logs would be nice, and why is he doing this?
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

I have logs up to a certain point.

He was doing it to piss me off ingame because he wanted to know how to use a proxxy in spring.

Now normaly people dont do that unless their going to do something idiotic, and when i refused he use this autospammer.

I've seen him use it before, and other people for that matter.

http://pastebin.com/d2fe4a07
lurker

Post by lurker »

Still, I don't blame a max of 2 kilobytes per second for crashing ANYTHING. Spam is spam, but lobby bugs are lobby bugs.

Also I'm not looking in the rename log at 4am, have somebody else get on the case or I'll get to it later.
Masure

Post by Masure »

lurker wrote:Still, I don't blame a max of 2 kilobytes per second for crashing ANYTHING. Spam is spam, but lobby bugs are lobby bugs.
And server fail is server fail.

PM (and other kind of) spamming should be avoided server side, with growing penalty :

- blocking PM for <time>
- blocking account for <time>
- blocking IP for <time>

Asking for client side spam handling first is fail.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

it should be blocked server side indeed, but until someone do it (if someone ever do it) i made an anti pm spam script in the TASClient features request thread
lurker

Post by lurker »

The amount of pms that causes a momentary freakout is within a reasonable amount to send. I agree that the server needs to do something about continued pms. That script's settings, 100 in 30 seconds, are very good, though it would be nice if it didn't actually drop the pms.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

yea someone pm flooded me once, it was really annoying

pm just needs flood protection like in #main
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

This is why I reported this to you Sat. That [SI]Rage was the same guy who crashed my lobby through PM spam. We can haz server side pimprovements?

Seriously, moar uberserver pl0x.
lurker

Post by lurker »

#main has flood protection to prevent one person from annoying 100 with spam.
The server has KBps flood protection to prevent one person from overloading the connection.

It's not the server's job to prevent a single PM conversation from having too much traffic, unless it's so large that we get back to too much data to be reasonable for a connection. You can annoy someone in PM with far less traffic than it takes in #main, one message per minute would be enough to harass. But sending 50 tiny messages per second or sending a single huge line every 3 seconds should not make any lobby lock up, and both are below the traffic limit the server should care about. If the lobby handled it correctly you'd just see a single fast-scrolling tab, and be able to /ignore if you wanted, or just let it sit there.

If the server is sending out some crazy amount of traffic, ten thousand lines per second, you can blame it. Otherwise, it's up to the lobby to not have any bugs that cause high CPU use on certain types of messages.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

lurker wrote: It's not the server's job to prevent a single PM conversation from having too much traffic...
absolutely it is. it is much more annoying than what you describe. imagine being in a game and then suddenly your speakers start blaring the PM sound multiple times a second. it has the ability to ruin games.

this limit shouldn't be based on data, it should be based on messages per second. it's just like flooding in main, except worse since you can fuck up someone's game as they are forced to alt tab and ignore you, at which point knobhead just changes his login, which reminds me - renaming / creating accts also needs to have a maximum limit per unit time.

spring is a griefer's paradise.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

so is this a bannable offense? I thought it was a feature so my lowly non-admin bot could people below the IQ limit from the server....
aegis

Post by aegis »

JAZCASH wrote:Seriously, moar uberserver pl0x.
http://springlobby.info/cgit.cgi/aegis/ ... r.git/log/

Return to “Ingame Community”