Starting a mod, need a workaround.

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

The principal behind my mod idea was that each side can't extract res, but instead one or multiple unbuildable units slowly generate linear res (or exponentially for a quicker ending, say ^1.03). This way one player can't overpower the rest because everyone is working with the same res, and the dude who lost almost everything can still afford to throw up L3 later in the game.

I was thinking some COB/BOS <-> LUA stuff, but it's not integrated yet so, no.

Any workarounds? I can't have any of the unit scripts or FBI relate to say, the clock variable, or something else, and the LUA scripting is still rather unstable.

Possibly something related to .atm? A script that slowly gives more and more res on the .atm method? But would that show on the +-counter?

I want to use non-TA units, but is it worth the effort and time? I can model, from exp in engineering classes, but nothing fancy. I sure as hell can't animate though, Servo any use?

Limited ammo, ammunition factories, and ammo transports was another idea, but I need to see if my first thought is possible. As well as units manufactured in seperate parts, and assembled elsewhere for 'custom' units, but that would require some fancy scripting to get seperate units to function as one.

I think that's all my questions for now.
Thnx

Edit:
Found this somewhere on the forums:
"
.editdefs 1
/luaui setudef armcom radarRange 400
.cheat 1
.give armcom
"
But you need to make a new unit for it to be in effect, and it usually crashes.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

someone else can correct me, but I do not believe it is possible through script or otherwise to increase the amount of metal/energy something gives as the game progresses. It might be possible through LUA GUI however I am not sure..

My only suggestion would be to have this structure be able to duplicate itself for a very small cost, and have it take a set time to build.. so that basically when the game starts you tell it to Quenue up a bunch of itself around itself and then as time elapses it finishes these and increase your resource amount at a roughly linear rate. Im sure this is not what you want but at the moment it is not possible to upgrade stuff.. as cool as that would be..

Hope that ismarginally helpful..
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

Possibly something related to .atm? A script that slowly gives more and more res on the .atm method? But would that show on the +-counter?
The duplicate thing is possible, but rather ridiculous.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

you could possibly have the LUA GUI do a .atm style setup at certain intervals, however Im not positive on the workings of that. ATM the idea I suggested is the only one I can think of as being possible, However I would hold out to see if anyone else with alternative information shows up..
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Ammo is perfectly feasible, problem is that since inter-unit communication is lacking you can't make transports, the units that withdraw from the transport can only see that a transport exists, not if it's loaded and they can't tell it how much they are withdrawing. An idea I had for that was to make the ammo carrier a plane with limited fuel but giving out ininite ammo as long as it's in the area.

Oh and of course the unit AI isn't aware of the ammo and the GUI can't show the remaining ammo.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

It's not all that ridiculous. Either that or don't have gradually increasing resources.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

I want linear res for my mod, I'm trying to eliminate one of the lamest advantages, simply being able to afford more cr*p than the other guy. After that the ammo and custom units would just be cool.

Is there any way to make LUA automatically .atm at intervals? Possibly in a unit script? How?

After that I can worry about attempting any thing else.

:-) Someone replied to my stupid questions! yay!
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Hmmm...you could also make metal makers stackable (each is a mobile unit with 0 maxvelocity, and they each can transport one other on top of itself).
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

But with metal makers you can still produce more res by controlling more patches.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

no...
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

If you want a linear workaround thats not hard.

Have a factory (limit 1, or just make it the commander) that builds resource producing units. Put it on repeat.

Making a transport to keep them inside so they dont clutter up the space isnt such a bad idea either. Make it a transport of infinite size that can only hold these resource-producing units, and stick the carrying point under the ground (Like land sea and hover transports do currently).

Clean, neat, and the transport can lift them out of the factory as soon as they are built.

All you need to do is make the factory create a builder and a transport, put the builder to work, put the transport and factory on repeat, give the transport a 'load area' order on the factory, and make the factory produce these resource producing units.

Thats probably the tidiest way to do it, but isnt exactly elegant.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Limited res.

1 mex limited to 1. no con assist. so people cannot circumvent build times.

boom.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

Trying the stackable res units.

Anyway to reload the FBI values in game? Could set FBI Res gen to Comm health. That'd be interesting. Have to get the comm exp to get more res. Probably won't work, but I wont know unless I can reload the FBI in game.

How does the exp increase the unit max health? That's an FBI variable. Could tweak something around that do directly edit other FBI vars. I'd have to edit the source though... I think...

Thanks for the help so far.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

smoth wrote:Limited res.

1 mex limited to 1. no con assist. so people cannot circumvent build times.

boom.
No con assist is bugged, if all cons are outside of build range (i.e. have to move closer) when you give the build order they'll happily work together on one construction.
El Idiot wrote:Trying the stackable res units.

Anyway to reload the FBI values in game? Could set FBI Res gen to Comm health. That'd be interesting. Have to get the comm exp to get more res. Probably won't work, but I wont know unless I can reload the FBI in game.

How does the exp increase the unit max health? That's an FBI variable. Could tweak something around that do directly edit other FBI vars. I'd have to edit the source though... I think...

Thanks for the help so far.
Experience is hardcoded to act as a multiplier in the relevant functions. The FBI values cannot be changed at runtime.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

No con assist is bugged
Well I suppose that's it then. Dang, just blew 30 minutes testing the stacked idea.

Eh. Oh well, it was a pretty crazy idea anyway.

You sure there's no way to script a .atm function at intervals?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

No assist willl prevent assisting with a factory but it won't prevent assisting with a building.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

Any particular mod I could start off of that no one would care if I did? I don't feel like spending my week making it from scratch.

So I can have the stackable res built by a factory. That works. Any way to limit the max # of buildings in the mod file itself? Otherwise you could keep building more factories, and there goes the point.

EDIT: Oh, wait, Com factory, like NOTA. It works I guess.

Well I'll make a tweaked XTA then and see how it turns out.

Thanks for the help.
Yay! I've been edjamacated!:P
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

There's a tag that puts a hard limit on a unit, don't ask me what it's called though. The Gundam fbi files should teach you.
smoth

Post by smoth »

You can look at gundam but it is not open for people to make varients. I permit no one to modify or take parts out of it. Just wanted to put that out there.

This is the tag that limits units:

UnitRestricted=6;
In this case you can only build 6 of a unit.

Return to “Game Development”