New Project: Metroid RTS

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Should Metroid RTS become a reality?

Poll ended at 28 May 2012, 02:01

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 21

sylux102

Post by sylux102 »

Hello. I am new to Spring. I have attempted several times to create my own rts engine for a Metroid Fangame, but alas, all attempts failed or took too long. I had no idea where to put this topic (i hope it goes here), and i need a team that would help me with this idea. I already have UBER high-quality 3d models of all of the units (I personally ripped all of them from their respective games) [ only the other m models are rigged ], but I lack the knowledge on how to mod this engine. If there are any that would like to help, i would be very glad...
smoth

Re: New Project: Metroid RTS

Post by smoth »

sylux102 wrote:I personally ripped all of them from their respective game
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

the biggest problem you're going to face is rigging models. spring does not support bones animation, so it'll be a matter of recreating / chopping up the models into parts then using bos/cob/lua what have you to create animations.

you won't be modding the engine, you will be assembling a game module to be played on the engine. don't be scared, even a stupid person like me can do it, thanks to knorke, who made this wonderful http://code.google.com/p/springtutorialgame/ which is very basic and will help you to learn how things work.

you may have trouble recruiting here as most forum members have their own projects on the go, but who knows

and a word of caution... as you can see from the angry face above, many of us have already had long arguments about copyrights and fangames and the like... i'm not telling you not to do your project by any means, just would like to suggest to you to tread lightly, and to avoid using "ripped" content (not for our sake, but for your sake... i've heard nintendo is a powerful enemy)
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

If you're really serious about this, make your own assets.

A.) Copyright stuff.

B.) RTS units do not need to be "UBER high-quality". This is something you'll hear about a lot here.

On another note, Metroid RTS? How does that work? Army of Metroids vs army of Space Pirates?
knorke

Post by knorke »

hi and welcome..
Start here and click around:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Game_and_Unit_development
If you get stuck or confused, just ask questions..
I do not know any about Metroid or you, so not voting ;)
gajop

Post by gajop »

if those models you have are taken under a licence which allows you to distribute them (perhaps under some restrictions?) feel free to do so and ignore people asking you to create your own, open "source" exists for that very reason
however, if those are some proprietary licensed models, you may indeed want to create your own ones

once that part is sorted, show some initiative (really, display it in a screenshot or two), and you'll get some actual help; otherwise people would just assume you dreaming about doing it
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

I've always kind of been a nintendo fanboy when it comes to their go to games like metroid. There's actually a lot of sides that could be expanded into better factions especially with a good imagination. First off is the Space pirates who would make a wonderful faction, then theres Galactic Federation who Samus works for, and finally Chozo(the makers of Samus suit, who also raised her) who would also be awesome to play as. Thats just to name a few of the more important ones. One thing Metroid has going for it is an actually very in depth story which you spend a lot of time discovering as you play through the games, it was almost the highlight of the the new generation ones.
sylux102

Post by sylux102 »

Wow. May I just say wow. Already this many replies in 2 days!?

Anyways, thanks for all the support. The models that i have are free to use under the conditions that I credit all of that original art teams from Nintendo and do not make any profits whatsoever from this project. Im not too big on illegal stuff. Second, there will only be two factions : Galactic Federation and Space Pirates. There will be around three "hero units" for each side.

Under Galactic Federation:
- Samus Aran (This was an obvious choice)
- Rundas (My favorite MP3 Bounty Hunter)
- Adam Malkovich (As seen in Metroid Other M)

Under Space Pirates:
- Dark Samus (Also obvious)
- Pirate Berserker (Unfortunately, I have yet to find this model in the MP3 game code)
- Sylux (Not necessarily for the pirates, but a good choice)

I use Milkshape to 3d model, so if there is someone else that knows how to use this, it would be a huge help.

Stay posted - 3d model screenies to be posted in the next post, possibly even some GUI for the game.

KaiserJ, your link won't work. Idk if its just my computer or what... i cant download the file.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Sounds good, have you thought about what you're looking for in a map?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

sylux102 wrote:
Under Galactic Federation:
- Samus Aran (This was an obvious choice)
- Rundas (My favorite MP3 Bounty Hunter)
- Adam Malkovich (As seen in Metroid Other M)

Under Space Pirates:
- Dark Samus (Also obvious)
- Pirate Berserker (Unfortunately, I have yet to find this model in the MP3 game code)
- Sylux (Not necessarily for the pirates, but a good choice)
Not enough Info, needs more excellsheets on amor, hp, weapons..also you know.. i always considered making tombRaiderRts.. i mean two boobs are good, manyboobs are better, but noGoone supported myMod. Just imagine how awesome that would be, a mod were not one but many laras rob caves. Just stormin the cave, overrun the monsters, avoid all those puzzles and traps, simply by leg-up and massive power. The original game would be solved within minutes by such a army..
pls help to make this idea come true.
Im very good at beeing a CEO and putting my feet up (in fact so good, its almost a handstand)- so if you want to do all the work, feel free.

Its getting summer, all those kids with nothing to do, and everyone to screw, they are flying high. Read the tutorial, show us one unit marching, then we shall continuum.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

kid dont get depressed reading all this. We all started out somewhere.. but there is a gap between daydreaming, and the work that goes into sitting down and getting stuff done. And its much work.

And then people drop by, every 4 days a new face, all having this "brilliant" idea and get insulted allover, when you demand the same thing reality demands from everyone on this board- which is. Help yourself, and the comnunity will help you at some times, and abandone you at others.

There are tutorials there. You can do the first move, to prove yourself worthy of further investment. Do it.
sylux102

Post by sylux102 »

Ok, so I have rethought some of my original units. Here are the replacements:

- Sylux is now MetaRidley
- Rundas is Ghor
- Pirate Beserker is now Omega Pirate (MP1)

I am going for a style similar to Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars. Here is some more data for a unit.

GF
- Basic GF Trooper
- Hp = 20(ea.)
- # per squad = 5
- Armor = 5(ea.)
- Weapon Power = 10(ea.)
- Accuarcy = 80% (ea.)

Better?

BTW, here's the model for the above unit...
gf_trooper.JPG
The basic GF Trooper Unit Model.
(69.3 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

we are here to help, if you need to know anything about the Api.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I have to say that as a fan of Metroid I see no point in a Metroid RTS because that just has nothing to do with what I play Metroid for. The more characters a Metroid game has the worse it gets.

Also do NOT rip content out of commercial games. Nintendo doesn't like that at all.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Hmm... But what is with dat website that got shittons of their model (atleast thats what those pictures look like) dat you can download...?
Or
What if you have modelled one that looks quite similar to theirs but not ripped it?
smoth

Post by smoth »

sylux102 wrote:(I personally ripped all of them from their respective games)
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Karl wrote:Hmm... But what is with dat website that got shittons of their model (atleast thats what those pictures look like) dat you can download...?
Or
What if you have modelled one that looks quite similar to theirs but not ripped it?
if a rip is very well done - its a fein-rip?

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Karl wrote:Hmm... But what is with dat website that got shittons of their model (atleast thats what those pictures look like) dat you can download...?
Or
It's all illegal, whether the copy is made by machine or by hand.
smoth

Post by smoth »

KDR_11k wrote:
Or
It's all illegal, whether the copy is made by machine or by hand.
The site is illegal? What is the site?
Degenerated5

Post by Degenerated5 »

[Yan was banned for this post]
smoth wrote:The site is illegal? What is the site?
this

Return to “Game Development”