Spring on the outside? - Page 2

Spring on the outside?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Re: Spring on the outside?

Post by SinbadEV »

I've tried to convince quite a few people to try out Spring games but usually I just harass them a bunch and then give up when a month later they still haven't given it a try...
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

So why do people take up the burden of installing things? Because there is a hype. Friend say.. oh, havent you tried (not one friend, many friends).. and its allover the space..

What could work is using spring as a excuse replacement, were ever it fits. You dont have time for something? Just say its because you are playin spring.

Another thing that could work.. is the half eaten Game Start.. the first game you start on Spring, you dont run into troubles.. it automatically loads a savegame were you are halfway through winning a chicken game. Basically, no lobby(still loaded in the background though), .. not even a mainmenue, if you dont quit. Just instant drop from installing into game, and even a chance of winning, due to economy allready running.
Its unpleasant for those who prefer there install and startup without such things. But well, there is always hitting the esc- and well, its only once so bearable.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

PicassoCT has said a bunch of stuff I agree with, but has said those things in a way that has caused me to think slightly different things.

What PicassoCT said as interpreted by Me:
[Perceived Poplularity Breeds Real Popularity][Don't Recommend Spring Games, Just Talk About How Much Fun You Are Having with a Spring Game and People Will Want to Try Too]
[To Hook Players, Games Need Missions and/or Campaigns That Are Both Immediately Entertaining and Educational]
knorke

Post by knorke »

Google_Frog wrote:What extra does ZK require? For a lan the hoster could disable unlocks but that's about it.
1) download-stuff-during-install installer are not so good for lan. Everybody needs internet, and even if you have inet for all computers it will be shared by multiple people.
While you can copy maps\ folder etc you have to know where to find them etc.

2) hosting requires lan server + different lobby, have to be downloaded seperatedly and are not easy to use.
http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/1755 "Playing Zero K on LAN offline"
(1-3 months old thread but I think that has not changed)
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

I got my old roommate to play ZK, for a while he was playing way more than me but he's been busy recently. Also I got my current roommates to try it out and they really like it, but they are sucked into Diablo currently and we are planning for Guild Wars 2 soon. So I wouldn't say they are or are going to be regular players.

Now that I think about it, I also got into a discussion with a co-worker I only sort-of know about RTS games, and I mentioned Zero-K. He said it sounded familiar, which really confused me, because spring is pretty unknown outside of the super-geeky open source world. But he googled it right in front of me and from the website said he had definitely seen it before. I haven't really talked to him since so I don't know if he ever got around to install + playing.
SinbadEV wrote:PicassoCT has said a bunch of stuff I agree with, but has said those things in a way that has caused me to think slightly different things.

What PicassoCT said as interpreted by Me:
[Perceived Poplularity Breeds Real Popularity][Don't Recommend Spring Games, Just Talk About How Much Fun You Are Having with a Spring Game and People Will Want to Try Too]
[To Hook Players, Games Need Missions and/or Campaigns That Are Both Immediately Entertaining and Educational]
Unrelated, but did you go on a self-imposed 365 day break from the forums?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Its only Zero-K related.. but if you get people to put in some work on the webpage- and then transform that into the game.. that can catch people.. just imagine a- flash mecha hangar, were you can equip comanders like in good old mech-warrior.. and then there is this save com and download zero-k to play with it.. that is.. very.. very tempting.

After all, you invested time into it allready.

Another thing that could help is some sort of exp-bar on the desktop (Maybee just integrate it into the Icon.... so if you start up, you see.. only 5 more wins to get your com to the next level.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Quick! Hire a Totaled Annihilator player!
Lets force all Spring-RTS player to meet at one point and make a Spring-RTS club!

Ohhh buuuut buut Karl! Spring-RTS is an engine!
So we must find out Engine developers of branch marketing industrialer that will help Spring-RTS a game and not an engine!

Where is the Engine-Motor-Developer-Meet-Point?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I can't speak for mods specifically, but I use the stuff I've done in spring in my resume, just because, compared to most internet things, it's not entirely valueless bullshit.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Jobs i had on the spring project

2004-2005 Never gonna give you up..
2005-2007 never gonna let you down..
2007-2009 never gonna herd and dessert you...

Return to “Game Development”