Colonization: Space Era - Page 2

Colonization: Space Era

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

smoke_th

Re: Colonization: Space Era

Post by smoke_th »

scifi wrote: pls say more stuff ideas e.t.c..

i can help for sure with some stuff, but say more gameplay, how the economy will work e.t.c....

im interested in space mods, but pls what about starting units, or buildings the actual early mid game evolution e.t.c....
Okay. So.
Basic idea is to create ta-stacraft like rts which mostly takes place in space, that's why there will be no water units, only kbots (some with jump-jets), rover-vehicles, moon-tanks (space-mammoth on the way) and mostly space-ships.
You will need some ground-space to build units and support buildings. But not everywhere - some buildings will be actually detachable from ground (i mean they will be units) such as space-fortress defensive module (slow moving speed but usable against units).

Also in plans make upgrade system which not only switches on new units but also upgrading current-ones. To example - all laser-based units default tiny red laser will be upgraded to more-thick blue one. Well, you've got the idea.
knorke wrote: nice.
do all models share the same texture?
blue=teamcolor?
You know i'm fucking tired of team-color texture parts. I will just enable xray-shader by default to light-up units with teamcolor.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

smoke_th wrote:You know i'm fucking tired of team-color texture parts. I will just enable xray-shader by default to light-up units with teamcolor.
thats the spirit
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

Wait wut? :D
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

Here we go (watch 1st post) - space-mamonth heavy assault rover.
smoth

Post by smoth »

this is all well and good. when are you going to show in game shots.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

jesus christ, whats the poly of this tank ?
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

Wombat wrote:jesus christ, whats the poly of this tank ?
You mean its have too small amount of polygons? i know =C
smoth

Post by smoth »

nah, poly count doesn't matter as much as object count.
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

Still wrong. Only thing matter that unit itself must be interesting, not too complicated and looks nice for first look on it. Take a look at Peewee. :D
smoth

Post by smoth »

Objet count is relevant otherwise I wool have fingers on each mech in gundam and hands separate from the forearms
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

And they still will be boring pieces of shaded plastic. Nobody fucks about ultra graphics in rts, especially when they don't doing anything with gameplay. Of course there is esthetic joying of the better effects and a neat models, but there is also edge between details-effects which making picture look nice, and detail-effects which have no any purpose except mod-creator's joy.
smoth

Post by smoth »

This isn't about graphics it is about performance.. hence why I skipped on the extra fluff on the units by adding the unnecessary bits for as you say: "detail-effects which have no any purpose except mod-creator's joy." That is why I am telling you these things.

all those wheels? those are "detail-effects which have no any purpose except mod-creator's joy." Having that many individual wheel parts and what looks like a suspension which will require and exhaustive script are "detail-effects which have no any purpose except mod-creator's joy." Much more so than the poly count of the wheels.
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

smoth wrote:This isn't about graphics it is about performance.. hence why I skipped on the extra fluff on the units by adding the unnecessary bits for as you say: "detail-effects which have no any purpose except mod-creator's joy." That is why I am telling you these things.

all those wheels? those are "detail-effects which have no any purpose except mod-creator's joy." Having that many individual wheel parts and what looks like a suspension which will require and exhaustive script are "detail-effects which have no any purpose except mod-creator's joy." Much more so than the poly count of the wheels.
Hey hey hey! :o i meant no offence, man, relax.
Wheels is all about its chasis - this bigass tank have high-weight and wheels with all its chassis using for distribute weight evenly between all of them. Why not tracks? Hell knows which type of ground space objects have, those wheels will keep serving to the tank even if some of them will be accidentally destroyed - 2 (or even 4) tracks will came to unusability if only on of them will be damaged.
About script itself - nope suspension just made-up like realistic one, i will not plan to create ~2000 lines script to support full flexibility of it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

well just putting it out there. The peice count is the only thing I can see wrong with it. You are fine on polys is my main point.

ALSO if there are very few of it, who cares right :)
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

Rrright.... :-)
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

eh..is there any way to make vtols don't nod when they rotating in air? Its really ugly to watch how space-station, when changing direction nods its top =C
knorke

Post by knorke »

try
hoverAttack=true,
airStrafe=false,
Upright=true,
AirHoverFactor=0,
AirStrafe=0,
cruiseAlt= 200,
maxBank= 0,
maxPitch= 0,
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

knorke wrote:try
hoverAttack=true,
airStrafe=false,
Upright=true,
AirHoverFactor=0,
AirStrafe=0,
cruiseAlt= 200,
maxBank= 0,
maxPitch= 0,
Ty its not nod when its holding over, but its still rotates itself above x axis (spring's x axis) when its changing course.
scifi

Post by scifi »

smoke_th wrote:
knorke wrote:try
hoverAttack=true,
airStrafe=false,
Upright=true,
AirHoverFactor=0,
AirStrafe=0,
cruiseAlt= 200,
maxBank= 0,
maxPitch= 0,
Ty its not nod when its holding over, but its still rotates itself above x axis (spring's x axis) when its changing course.
removed

nice project keep it up
Last edited by scifi on 14 Jan 2011, 23:53, edited 2 times in total.
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

scifi wrote: blah blah blah blah blah
Ok why did you typed all this amount of text? It looks very odd, if you want us to tell about your mod make renders of models, create topic on forum and explain all it, then include link in your message.

Return to “Game Development”