And you said spring is ugly? - Page 3

And you said spring is ugly?

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Kazori

Re: And you said spring is ugly?

Post by Kazori »

a map option to turn trees off would be nice
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

I'd like to have map option to turn off textures and map effects too.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I'd like to have a map option to force users to uninstall spring when they try to run it on shit hardware :)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

smoth wrote:I'd like to have a map option to force users to uninstall spring when they try to run it on shit hardware :)
This.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

smoth wrote:I'd like to have a map option to force users to uninstall spring when they try to run it on shit hardware :)
Maybe better head off to the marketing department and have a chat with them.

Why would you want to have fewer users?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jools wrote:Why would you want to have fewer users?
Wouldn't have them anyway because thier shit cannot run the game. Their cpu would tank at the end of a match etc.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

That's their problem, not yours.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yes, your problem is how to get people to invest their time on your product, and make the product better than the competition. The customer is always right, even when he's wrong.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Johannes wrote:That's their problem, not yours.
No, it is mine because I cannot force spring to close for users who do not have the hardware to run it. Thus I get tons of fucking emails asking why spring crashes as that assume it is my fault instead of their shitty hardware. MOST games close out or error or something meaningful. like "hey your hardware is too weak, get better stuff"
Jools wrote:Yes, your problem is how to get people to invest their time on your product, and make the product better than the competition. The customer is always right, even when he's wrong.
My problem is that they are trying to run spring with stuff that even after they force spring to run on their hardware, they can barely actually play.

"The customer is always right.. " you forgot the most important part "while they are paying you." See they are not paying me, therefor, not customers. Keep applying generalized terms to specific situations in life, it will serve you well and you will be successful btw, *insert race* are stolen bikes and chicken.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

smoth wrote:"The customer is always right.. " you forgot the most important part "while they are paying you." See they are not paying me, therefor, not customers. Keep applying generalized terms to specific situations in life, it will serve you well and you will be successful btw, *insert race* are stolen bikes and chicken.
No, I mentioned the paying part, only in this case it is not money but time and attention. If you want to make code that no-one sees you can just as well put it to pastebin or something. I think most people that work with spring also want the code to be useful for someone.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Guess what, if you want it to be useful, it should tell them upgrade their shit. Otherwise, they will spend all day trying to run spring only to find out after they finally post their infolog that DERP they cannot because intel onboard.

Your argument is a joke. Programmers cannot magic hardware into better hardware.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Your argument is backwards. Hardware is one level up in hierarchy from software. The purpose of software is to make hardware work. Do you also first buy the CD player and then after it the car in which it will be put?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Come to think of it, maybe it goes a bit hand in hand.

But the point is that you start from an idea, research the interest and relevant customer segments (feel free to not call them customers), then you make the product. Why is this so hard to grasp? Even virus makers understand this concept.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jools wrote:Your argument is backwards. Hardware is one level up in hierarchy from software. The purpose of software is to make hardware work. Do you also first buy the CD player and then after it the car in which it will be put?
I think it is a language barrier issue for you. I am saying we cannot effect a change on the hardware with the software. Feel free to click the link I provided to prove me wrong.
Jools wrote:Come to think of it, maybe it goes a bit hand in hand.

But the point is that you start from an idea, research the interest and relevant customer segments (feel free to not call them customers), then you make the product. Why is this so hard to grasp? Even virus makers understand this concept.
What are you even saying? research interest and relevant customer segments, are you high? That has 0 to do with the hardware limitations brought about by people trying to run spring on hardware that is unsuitable.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

purpose of software is to make hardware work
Wrong. Its the other way around.

Code: Select all

Do you also first buy the CD player and then after it the car in which it will be put
I love car analogies as much as the next guy, but in this case, which piece of hardware is the software?
knorke

Post by knorke »

I'd like to have a map option to force users to uninstall spring when they try to run it on shit hardware :)
Wouldn't have them anyway because thier shit cannot run the game.
why uninstall whole spring when one game does not work? they are games others with lower requirements.
True for the space shuttle, but for gaming computers it is other way around imo.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Beherith wrote:
Wrong. Its the other way around.

Code: Select all

Do you also first buy the CD player and then after it the car in which it will be put
I love car analogies as much as the next guy, but in this case, which piece of hardware is the software?
Yes, I made a blanket statement, it wasn't correct. They go hand in hand, or should do that at least, because both need each other.

The car is the Mercedes and the cd-player is the iPhone.
smoth

Post by smoth »

knorke wrote:
Wouldn't have them anyway because thier shit cannot run the game.
why uninstall whole spring when one game does not work? they are games others with lower requirements.
was half joking.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

So what kind of benefits do you get with normal mapping the map, over say just baking the normal/light map into the texture?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

With additional normal mapping the light changes based on vieweing angle

Return to “Map Creation”