Request Roughdraft Map for Testing Unsual Scale

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I was wondering if any of the mappers would be interested in helping me test a game concept that is a WIP that is different from the average spring game, since it is based on a large "strategic scale". The scale of the game is 1 elmo =100 meters. So a 16 by 16 map would be about 819.2 x 819.2 Km.
So as you imagine at this scale mountains would be much smaller and micro terrain would be pretty much absent. What I need is either a DEM converter to this scale or if you can hand paint the elevation to the same effect and seams to be about the same scale, that might work too.

Because this is a testing map it does not have to be textured, and should lack any features (metal deposits are okay).

Edit: I should mention I was shooting for a 16 x 10 or larger, can be square (i just need on side about 16 for some of the ranges being tested)

Edit: Don't bother I'm using Armoduland as it seems close enough (for now at least). If this scale seems to work however, it would be nice to have some maps to fit this scale maybe based off some real life satellite or DEM data.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Re: Request Roughdraft Map for Testing Unsual Scale

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I take that back. A map with land features to scale would be great. Let me see if i can dig up some satellite images for the desired maps size im thinking of. How large (dimensions) of an image do I need for a 30x30 map? 15,360 x 15,360?? o_O how does any one have a machine powerful enough to do that?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

GROUT by weaver is your friend - and such a map should be fairly easy to do
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I can't seem to find any links to GROUT.
edit: is this the newest version?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/botworld/Grout_2.exe

bah... it doesnt work. its missing a ton of files. where is the original?

RE RE edit:

Just a reminder to all of those who forgot. Unknown files and fieluniverse no longer exist, most of these tools don't work and the ones I need are not on spring files or spring portal, but it would sure be nice for those modders and mappers to have access to those files!
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

I'm not really sure what you want but here is a link to a bunch of large real world height maps
http://bmp.thefloatingwidget.net/heightmaps

And i can compile maps well above 30x30 in SME, sadly my minimap always looks torn..
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Well i am using every compiler that is in the spring files and they all error when compiling, because its a 30x30?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

How about posting a satellite heigthmap on scale?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

why, are the tools reserved?
sure, i will try and find a place to upload 600+ megs of poor quality satellite imagery. unfortunately i am on dsl so the upload time will be a pain in the ass, and i will probably just wait until i go somewhere with a fast connection.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

then give me a link - and i dont need 600 mbs, just something- a heightmap to work with and the size of the map you want.

Return to “Map Creation”