.:New Map (by Smoth):. Gunmetal Harbor - Page 2

.:New Map (by Smoth):. Gunmetal Harbor

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Licho
Zero-K Developer

Re: .:New Map (by Smoth):. Gunmetal Harbor

Post by Licho »

Uploading to springfiles to make it work in downloader
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

SinbadEV wrote:
MidKnight wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:If I were still playing, I would totally play on this map.
What are you talking about? Have you even tried the map?
No... I don't even have the latest version of Spring installed on my computer... but that doesn't make the map any less awesome.
Eh, I may have misunderstood your post.
Pxtl wrote:
JohannesH wrote:Looks really nice, and I was really surprised with the sounds!

But for metal/energy based economy I think this doesnt work too well when the features have all that metal in them.
Last time I played gundam, feature reclamation seemed to be an important part of the econ. I imagine this means that such map features are intentional.
The builds of GRTS that I've played in the last 6 months or so don't put much, if an emphasis on feature reclamation. I'm pretty sure the features on this map are mainly for decor and fire cover.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Maybe it was just my play style - I haven't played GRTS much. I just noticed "well, I can't claim territory and I've hit my shop limit, so the only way to expand my econ is to go out and reclaim some crap... hey, those bundles of pipe have metal in them! Let's go!"
det

Post by det »

Upload Gundam to rapid already, it is great exposure for 60 seconds of your time :p
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

SinbadEV wrote:No... I don't even have the latest version of Spring installed on my computer....
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

det wrote:Upload Gundam to rapid already, it is great exposure for 60 seconds of your time :p
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Where is smoth?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

self-imposed sabbatical?

http://springrts.com/phpbb/search.php?a ... 9&sr=posts
last one Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:31 am
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

oh. I thought i saw him on SL then. maybe why im confused as to why he not posting himself. I forgot about that. I should enforce my own so i can get school work caught up.

On topic: It looks great, and I can't wait to play test it when I have the time.
knorke

Post by knorke »

looks are really good, maybe a little bit too artificial because everything is so rectangle. maybe a sand island in the water would make it look more alive.
still a nice looking map.

BUT.
played an gundam 1v1v1 ffa on it.
lasted for 80 minutes and might have gone on for ever if all players had cared towards the end :?
problems is the small passages are easily blocked off and sharp water/land cliffs stop aqua mechs.
for example with wallspam.
also it should be more clear where aqua mechs can enter/leave the water. imo they should be able to do that almost everywhere to help break the porc.
i guess slopes would make the harbour walls look stupid.
but atm they are kinda useless on this map. (maybe if they had a jump-out-of-water ability)

also the features block movement and after a while it just gets so annoying having to reclaim everything. like i made this big hovertranports with the backward facing canon and it was a pain to get them anywhere.
can features be crushed? at least the streetlamps should just fall over if some over 9000 tons mech bumps into them.

ImageImage
:shock: :shock: 8)
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Ok here is testrun of the map:

http://replays.adune.nl/?2374

I'm not really sure if it's a proof of concept actually, but it surely give some perspective...

You can judge by yourself. But my opinion is, that its kinda pointless spammage/fast-tech. Well definitely its a different gameplay. Some people enjoy speed-metals, but don't execpt it to be loved by a 'commoners'.

Now if you would like to make revision theres these few small and easily done things that would change the gameplay drastically:

1. 8.0m/sec per metal spot
2. No metal to the features, just leave the energy.
3. Make some of the tiny features crushable with "mass" tag

Just trying to help you here... Godspeed!
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Two bugs I encountered so far:
1. it overrides the mod's `resources.lua` and so it breaks all CEGs in CA (view beneath to know how to fix it)
2. most features don't get placed in CA (just tested via spring binary, haven't tried to start it via lobby yet), it spams that it can't find the wreckages ... (don't know how to fix that yet)

Undocumented Engine Feature:
Maps have their own `resources_map.lua` file, it can just load particle sprites (-> can't override trees, waves textures etc. - to do so you should just override the default texture files).
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

jK wrote: 1. it overrides the mod's `resources.lua` and so it breaks all CEGs in CA (view beneath to know how to fix it)
Which is why various people (including myself) have been lobbying for games to switch to FLOZi's resources.lua (which is the one included with the map).
jK wrote: Undocumented Engine Feature:
Maps have their own `resources_map.lua` file, it can just load particle sprites [...].
That would have been interesting to know in the context of abovementioned thread, or in the discussion here. As I can hardly reasonably expect you to be following every thread about though :P, I'd like to say thanks for pointing it out! That seems an equally useful solution to the problem of using mapeditors/map dependencies... ah actually, if using more than one map depency it still might be slightly tricky - but I guess FLOZi's automagic version could be made to work to similiar effect in that case.
Anyway, good to know!
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

SirArtturi wrote:Ok here is testrun of the map:

I'm not really sure if it's a proof of concept actually, but it surely give some perspective...

You can judge by yourself. But my opinion is, that its kinda pointless spammage/fast-tech. Well definitely its a different gameplay. Some people enjoy speed-metals, but don't execpt it to be loved by a 'commoners'.

Now if you would like to make revision theres these few small and easily done things that would change the gameplay drastically:

I talked with Smoth yesterday and he said he knew people were gonna criticize that theres much metal around, but that thats the way he intended it, similar to TA city maps. Point is to offer new kind of gameplay.

But iirc the features are free to use, so nothing stops others from making map like this but where the houses are just terrain.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@ knorke

I think one of Smoth's ideas with Gundam is that the amphib mechs really aren't less powerful than the land-only mechs, there's just less variety in them. With that in mind, I can understand how he'd want to limit the options available to amphib mechs so that land-only mechs wouldn't seem comparatively useless.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Are you using an up to date CA? Smoth had to go in and delete the obsolete featuredef loader that didn't recurse directories.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

SirArtturi wrote:Ok here is testrun of the map:

just make a remake for BA, no point letting all this work go to waste
knorke

Post by knorke »

Pxtl wrote:@ knorke
I can understand how he'd want to limit the options available to amphib mechs so that land-only mechs wouldn't seem comparatively useless.
well maybe. but this did not help with the porcy feeling of the map (in grts)
aegis

Post by aegis »

jK wrote:Undocumented Engine Feature:
Maps have their own `resources_map.lua` file, it can just load particle sprites (-> can't override trees, waves textures etc. - to do so you should just override the default texture files).
too bad this feature was broken until this commit just now
(the original feature was probably never tested... none of the maps in my spring directory use resources_map.lua)
Argh

Post by Argh »

Awesome, thanks for getting that to work.

Return to “Map Creation”