Dynamic sky

Dynamic sky

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

zerver
Spring Developer

Dynamic sky

Post by zerver »

I found that the DynamicSky setting for Advanced sky had been hardcoded to false. I fixed this, but Imbaczek noticed that it uses some CPU.

Most people don't see the sky while playing, so it is a shame to waste CPU on it for no reason.
Do you guys think it would be OK to only update the dynamic sky if it is currently in camera view?
dizekat

Re: Dynamic sky

Post by dizekat »

zerver wrote:I found that the DynamicSky setting for Advanced sky had been hardcoded to false. I fixed this, but Imbaczek noticed that it uses some CPU.

Most people don't see the sky while playing, so it is a shame to waste CPU on it for no reason.
Do you guys think it would be OK to only update the dynamic sky if it is currently in camera view?
yes i think so. Though it still must be off-able, as i dont want dynamic sky at all, not even when i see the sky.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

How do you want to detect if the sky is visible?
Also dynamic sky is very important with large reflective areas and reflective water renderers.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

just make it so it costs 10% of my framerate and not 80%...
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

jK wrote:How do you want to detect if the sky is visible?
Also dynamic sky is very important with large reflective areas and reflective water renderers.
Good point ! I guess we will have to update it then. I already reduced the update frequency to once every 10 frames - will reduce further if needed.
dizekat wrote:yes i think so. Though it still must be off-able, as i dont want dynamic sky at all, not even when i see the sky.
It is off by default and offable, either by registry or console /dynamicsky 0
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

/dynamicsky 1 still makes my spring go from 200fps to 40fps (r6554.)
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

It is also an option through the Spring Settings function.

I do hope, though, that Spring is not running the dynamic sky behind a mapper-set skybox.

Return to “Engine”