We need a stronger red! - Page 5

We need a stronger red!

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

and I'm hopeing for the new "iconified" minimap boxes, triangles/borders stuff... I feel perfectly justified throwing in a tangent now that all issues have been resolved... any further discussion will be entirely about colour and minimap issues I'm sure.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

SwiftSpear wrote:and not a pink, which is fruity.
Fag discrimination. Ban yourself. :lol:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Caydr wrote:
SwiftSpear wrote:and not a pink, which is fruity.
Fag discrimination. Ban yourself.
I belive that YOU are the one being descriminatory by that statement, at the very least you are assuming that gays like pink or that all fags are fruity, which is feeding stereotypes.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I'm pretty sure it was just a joke...
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah caydr didn't mean anything but It is good to know someone cares. Anyway this is a bit OT...

I am curious JC, are you guys adding 6 more colors? If so I need to add support for it in my team colors.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Something that would be really cool would be if you could define your color as RGB, or using sliders in the lobby.
That would be serious coolness.
would it be really superhard to implement? i mean the colors are already defined by RGB in the source..
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

^ I cant imangine it being stupidlty hard, though some things would have to be rewriten and you'd need a new lobby client as well as game.

It could decide to use an RGB selector or the traditional style from the modinfo.tdf
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Comp1337 wrote:Something that would be really cool would be if you could define your color as RGB, or using sliders in the lobby.
would it be really superhard to implement? i mean the colors are already defined by RGB in the source..
AFAIK 3do's just can't do this, period. As long as this engine remains backwards compatible with OTA content this isn't plausable as a univeral feature. Interestingly enough it works fine for s3o's and if they were all we were dealing with this feature would be compleatly possible.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Why can't 3do's do this then? Do they have the aformentioned array of teamcolors 'hardcoded' in their models or something?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Tobi wrote:Why can't 3do's do this then? Do they have the aformentioned array of teamcolors 'hardcoded' in their models or something?
Not just team colors, arrays of team color images... if only these images could be replaced with similar single images, stripped of their color marks and team-color mapped instead... then no one would have to worry about it anymore... I'm sure SOMEONE knows how to do this kind of thing.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

I am curious JC, are you guys adding 6 more colors? If so I need to add support for it in my team colors.
Initially I figured this was a leftover from when MAX_TEAMS was 10, but this is wrong, and because of the 3DO problems it's probably a bad idea...
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

jcnossen wrote:
Initially I figured this was a leftover from when MAX_TEAMS was 10, but this is wrong, and because of the 3DO problems it's probably a bad idea...
Make a "expandedteamcolor=1" tag for the tdf then so we can use it for s3o mods. There's really no excuse to be limited by an old format.
krogothe
AI Developer

Post by krogothe »

Comp1337 wrote:Something that would be really cool would be if you could define your color as RGB, or using sliders in the lobby.
^God^
smoth

Post by smoth »

So umm, did you try those values? I really want to know.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Tobi wrote:Why can't 3do's do this then? Do they have the aformentioned array of teamcolors 'hardcoded' in their models or something?
For 3do, teamcolor texture are special textures, with 10 variants. In TA, it all teamcolor texture had to be in /anims/logos.gaf, and they were ten-frame sequence. All ten-frames sequence that weren't in logos.gaf were considered as animated texture instead. (weirdly there's a two frame animated texture in logos.gaf, but let's forget it).

In Spring, they are series of 10 similarly named .bmp, just as 32XGouraud01.bmp, 32XGouraud02.bmp, 32XGouraud03.bmp ... 32XGouraud09.bmp, and there is a file, /textures/teamtex.txt that list all teamcolor texture.

If you decide to add 6 new colors, shouldn't be hard to photoshop those texture to change their tint to new color.

Indeed, letting users select their own RGB value could be neat. But as it wouldn't work on 3do, I guess it can wait till we have more mods using solely S3O. Besides nanoblob, what mod use S3O now?

Unless of course someone is willing to spend time coding a way to magically determine which part of the teamtex.txt's textures are teamcolored by xoring them, then greyscale and recolorise only that part of these textures (all that at each Spring loading).
smoth

Post by smoth »

if they used team color 3(or 2 in the array) which is a white panel. They would have a blank of color texture. although I don't know how I would code that. Every team color overlay I have done was based on an alpha layer. I am not sure what they would do to manage this.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

evil evil bannana peddler, peddling evil bannana sites!!!!!!

go here instead http://www.darkstars.co.uk
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

smoth wrote:if they used team color 3(or 2 in the array) which is a white panel. They would have a blank of color texture. although I don't know how I would code that. Every team color overlay I have done was based on an alpha layer. I am not sure what they would do to manage this.
The problem is not just to get an uncolored texture, but also to detect which pixel are to be teamcolored and which should stay grey metal.
smoth

Post by smoth »

we're working on it z.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

zwzsg wrote:
smoth wrote:if they used team color 3(or 2 in the array) which is a white panel. They would have a blank of color texture. although I don't know how I would code that. Every team color overlay I have done was based on an alpha layer. I am not sure what they would do to manage this.
The problem is not just to get an uncolored texture, but also to detect which pixel are to be teamcolored and which should stay grey metal.
Hmm, well for the classic TA units at least all of the team texture is coloured...

Return to “Engine”