I'm a little tired of this blatant disregard for others - Page 3

I'm a little tired of this blatant disregard for others

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

gajop

Re: I'm a little tired of this blatant disregard for others

Post by gajop »

varikonniemi wrote:I do not want to dictate his daily tasks. I just want to get in contact to him like to any normal person (email / pmsg / imsg / etc) not a random irc channel.
You won't get far with that statement here. One of the main types of communications in the OSS community is by "send to all" mediums: irc and mailing lists. Main reason for that is that there are often many people who are knowledgeable (much like in ZK, where you have multiple devs) and many who may be interested in the same thing.
Heck, even shuttleworth is accessible on a person-to-person basis. He put millions (billions) into his project and he still finds time to chat with me.
Color me unimpressed. He's the same guy that pushed Unity, is pushing UEFI secure boot, and is behind Ubuntu - which isn't really doing much for the rest of us (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2SED6se ... ge#t=1395s).
More importantly, he's not a dev, or at least you probably aren't approaching him as a dev.
All i am really saying is that instead of making the pmsg ignore messages and autoreply to post to #zk make it say "sorry, ia am away now. please leave your message and i will come back to your issue asap".
Or not... There are probably valid reasons why it's done like that. Besides those mentioned above, it's probably easier to keep a log on help channels. It's clearly not up to any of us to dictate how people do support for their projects - it's free ffs!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

but Licho always had time to spam main with Zero K Advertisement.. surely he cant be that busy
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Difference is with reading channel logs I am in control of time and when I do it.

With PM my ZKL (which is always running) starts flashing and I basically have to respond instantly.
As I work from home and have to organize my time such distractions tend to derail my work stuff for tens of minutes.

So I added a feature that lets me block PM - i simply don't see them, its not that im not answering them, they never get to me.

Also about 90% of queries im getting are not really for me. They are bug reports, feature requests and general questions about zk/spring which can be answered by half people in #zk or other channels.

Also I'm pretty sure I never told people to PM me with issues. I'm interested in who told you to pm me. I want names, I want times, I want places
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

This is the moment, were a company is born. Cant we hire ...place name here.. to do all the boring administration work, so we can focus on making games.

This+ 8 months is were ..placenamehere.. is to be discovered as the guy who runs and holds all the rights to the company, and the original dev team either gets hired or fired.

This +16 months is were a new game.. lets call it KZ is founded.. with plans to never ever let that happen again.

We need a Secretary Software, that does the Soon to be ceos job, without becoming one.

This is were Skynet was founded
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Licho wrote:So I added a feature that lets me block PM - i simply don't see them, its not that im not answering them, they never get to me.
This feature is already included into your computer that is named "offline". Just plug out all cables and the messages never gets to you, too. ;)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I've told you before Licho, if you don't want people bugging you about issues that require a moderator, don't label yourself as a moderator in the lobby.

That goes for every lobby/forum moderator. If you don't intend to help people then don't be a moderator. It's silly that any time I've needed anything doing over the past few years I've had to PM every moderator online and wait for a response from one, because usually, most the moderators never reply.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Jazcash wrote:
FLOZi wrote:Not the first time.

Allow us to permanently remove the bot from our channels.
/hook !#
!#ban NightwatchDev
Doesn't work.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

FLOZi wrote:
Jazcash wrote:
FLOZi wrote:Not the first time.

Allow us to permanently remove the bot from our channels.
/hook !#
!#ban NightwatchDev
Doesn't work.
Works alright for me. Make sure whatever prefix you hook with is the same you issue the command with. I helped Klap with this a while ago and it wasn't working. Turned out he was just writing the ! and # the opposite way to which he hooked them as.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Literally copy pasting that and changing it to Nightwatch, no dice.

!#ban works:

[23:22:58] ** Server ** invalid usage: ban <username> [reason]

!#ban Nightwatch

<--- nothing happens
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Mods can't be banned :<

Return to “Engine”