Add spring environment variables - Page 2

Add spring environment variables

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Add spring environment variables

Post by FLOZi »

hoijui wrote:to share the lobby makes sense for pretty much every spring game except maybe BA and ZK, though.. i would say even for them it still does, and it allows for an easier transition from BA/ZK to other, less often played games.
as in.. you can install ZK, and just double-click on a KP autohost, and you are ready.
muhc more likely to happen then someone finding KP on the ofrum or on its homepage, downloading, installing, opening it, and then finding noone else to play for sure (while in hte above example, chances are at least existing, that he would find someone to play).

if stuff would be as black and white as you draw them, the situation would not be as it is anymore.
Spring's USP and about time it gained recognition.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

hoijui wrote:to share the lobby makes sense for pretty much every spring game except maybe BA and ZK, though.. i would say even for them it still does, and it allows for an easier transition from BA/ZK to other, less often played games.
as in.. you can install ZK, and just double-click on a KP autohost, and you are ready.
muhc more likely to happen then someone finding KP on the ofrum or on its homepage, downloading, installing, opening it, and then finding noone else to play for sure (while in hte above example, chances are at least existing, that he would find someone to play).

if stuff would be as black and white as you draw them, the situation would not be as it is anymore.
I'm sorry, you appear to be confusing multiple spring installs with multiple lobby installs. My statement has nothing to do with multiple lobby installs, and it was my understanding that it was glaringly obvious and thus didn't need mentioning thanks to:
  • Steam
  • Gamespy
  • Stardock
  • Desura
  • etc
As the developer of a lobby which supported multiple games that had completely different engines, not just versions of spring, but completely different codebases, I would have thought you'd know better than to accuse me of denouncing something I actively developed for.

It is silly to have us all lumped on the one engine install:

game A should be installed to the game A folder with the game A content and the game A specified version of the engine, with the game A settings

game B should be installed to the game B folder with the game B content and the game B specified version of the engine, with the game B settings

Now if Game B decides it wants a Game B lobby then great googly woogly it shall have one if the developer of Game B is arsed enough.

If you want a Multigame lobby, with both A, B, and C, then I see no reason why this is suddenly impossible. The Lobby code police won't descend on the player and drag him away with chains, and the lobby developer won't be imprisoned or burnt at the stake.

The developer of game B may decide against this, but that's their decision and there's nothing you can do about it, whether they share or don't share the spring generic install from this site.

I see a handful of reasons why you may think this is impossible and why anyone might think I'm advocating otherwise that we get rid of this 'USP' ( which I'm not ):
  • Sudden amnesia regarding services like steam, gamestop/etc that do not have a single engine install with a tonne of games hoisted in but still manage to do what you want our lobby to do
  • Vested interests
  • The assumption that 2 spring installs always means 2 lobbies, not 1.
  • The usual fear mognering 'but it will split up the community, oh noes'
All of which have been debunked many times in the past ( except vested interests )

SO before you all reply, I put forward that none of you have a valid platform to reason and logic with, purely because you're arguing about something that is not properly defined in order to further a goal that is extremely nebulous and has no commonality beyond 'change, no we don't want change!'.

e.g.:
  • It's an SDK
  • It's a game
  • It's an engine
  • They're mods
  • It's the community lobby
  • It's the engine lobby
  • It's a spring install
  • It's a base install
  • It's a package
There is currently no policy defining what the point of the lobby and the installer package on this site is, or the intention. Clearly it's not a super community 1 place for everything because we have development features pandering to those who want to leave and separate themselves from the lobby and such. It isn't the opposite either because we get fear mongering reactions like Hoijuis, and it isn't both either else we wouldn't be talking about any of this, and responses like the one quoted at the top would never be made either.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

hoijui wrote:to share the lobby makes sense for pretty much every spring game... blablabla
Spring is an Engine, not a platform.

If it were a platform, it would be the shittiest platform currently in existence, but that's ok, because spring is not a platform.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Forb, nobody here has claimed it to be a platform either ( though some behave as if it were )

I look forwards to seeing the platform engine mishmash people finally defining what spring is in real hard definitive non-vague terms
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Spring could almost be called a "Framework" if the term didn't have so much existing connotation. I like to think of it as a really really terrible Game* that has spawned a bunch of extremely awesome Tools, Mods and Total Conversions.

*(As in, an RTS with no sides, units, maps or gameplay)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'd like to try this terrible terrible game but everytime I do I end up in BA

Return to “Engine”