SM3

SM3

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

SM3

Post by FLOZi »

So I thought I'd take a look at how SM3 is running these days; I downloaded Forbs 'Narrow Passage' ( :lol: ) map ( http://jobjol.nl/225 ), fixed up the numerous tdf parser errors and had a peek.

I'm getting 150 - 250(+!) fps depending on zoom, which is (much) better than I get on most sm2 maps, running 0.79.1.2 (and fwiw with latest git which i finally got to compile again)

Anyone have links to other SM3 maps? I tried Argh's 'Urban' map and all i got was a blank white screen; probably some error in the sm3 i overlooked and the parser didn't catch. Particularly any known to be 'heavy' performance wise (SM3 version of whatamunga riri, Forb?)

Here's the fixed Narrow Passage:
http://www.zshare.net/download/61874138ccda336a/
How does it perform for anyone else?
Beherith

Re: SM3

Post by Beherith »

It worked for you with luashaders enabled? What gpu?
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

8800GTS 512mb with 181.22 driver.

'Never use shaders when rendering SM3 maps' is off and 'Enable LuaShaders support' is on.

Argh's 'Urban_V1' map certainly does not work however. I'm looking into the differences.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

I got it to work; the problem is with it's TileSize tags, setting them all to 40 and it works (those with 20 and 5 caused the error of just rendering the whole screen in the background colour).

Again I get 150fps+

Fixed Urban_V1:
http://www.zshare.net/download/618780909c0ad40e/
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

I assume the performance advantage would go away quick once there were units on the map right? Could you try spawning a few hundred units and running them around the map and let us know if it performs better than SM2 with the same spawn?
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

I don't see why units would be more of a drain on SM3 than SM2?

Unless you mean that units will be the limiting factor on performance - which yes they will be. The point isn't the performance gain i'm getting (probably due in part to lack of water and features on the SM3 maps I've tested compared to SM2) but that SM3 maps are running smoothly at all.

edit: The performance advantage remains with 100 S44 infantry running around - but again it's probably due to the lack of features and map water. Shadows aren't working properly on SM3 it seems so it's hard to say what impact turning them on has.

The big question is; is SM3 running well for the majority of players now, or am I in a minority?
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

It worked but it wasn't perfect, everything was tinted blue on urban and shadows didn't work if you got too low/close.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

The blue tint is just because of Argh's lighting settings, how was your fps?
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

High, but I have nothing to compare it to since I can't get the lobby's to work to actually test real game performance and I'm running a half decent system (8800GT, 4Gig ram, Q6600).
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Have you tested terrain deformation? Run CA and start building some walls.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

You Are Using Ad Block Plus or some other advert blocking software!
zSHARE relies on advertising for revenue!.
Please add zSHARE to your ad blocking whitelist or disable ad blocking when you visit zSHARE
Bah, please upload to a proper filehost, i want to test.

Do you think you can fix the tilesize bug?

There was one MAJOR limitation i found when texturing, there was no way to use a detail texture per texture. Like i couldnt use alpha blend and multiply on the same layer. If I could, and it supported diff tilesize (obv needed for detail texes) i would switch to it in a heartbeat!
smoth

Post by smoth »

el_matarife wrote:I assume the performance advantage would go away quick once there were units on the map right? Could you try spawning a few hundred units and running them around the map and let us know if it performs better than SM2 with the same spawn?
sm3 is super efficient compared to the 1000s of tiles smf requires.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Beherith wrote:
You Are Using Ad Block Plus or some other advert blocking software!
zSHARE relies on advertising for revenue!.
Please add zSHARE to your ad blocking whitelist or disable ad blocking when you visit zSHARE
Bah, please upload to a proper filehost, i want to test.

Do you think you can fix the tilesize bug?

There was one MAJOR limitation i found when texturing, there was no way to use a detail texture per texture. Like i couldnt use alpha blend and multiply on the same layer. If I could, and it supported diff tilesize (obv needed for detail texes) i would switch to it in a heartbeat!
bah use Opera and don't need third party ad blockers.

edit:

http://flozi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sprin ... ge-v02.sdz

http://flozi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/spring/Urban_V1.sdz
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Pxtl wrote:Have you tested terrain deformation? Run CA and start building some walls.
I /gave some s44 buildings on slopes. No tearing problems, if that is what you were meaning - if not, what else am I looking for? And why aren't you looking for it? :P

Need some people with poorer systems testing them, and some more complex maps to test.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Ah, i get the wierdest bug, had it all along:
screenshot of what i actually see:
note the sky in bottom left.

screenshot made by spring: (so the screenshots work, i just cant see shit)

Luashaders support enabled, never use shaders on sm3 disabled.

winxp 32bit, nvidia 8800gt, latest drivers.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Can you post a shot of your settings?
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

I can confirm Flozi's results:

I fired up the Narrow Passage map and used the tab zoom out funtion to have a look at everything. The fps were around 150 for me. Then I did the very same using MountDustmoreV3 as I thought they'd be kinda comparable. Here when using the tab view the general huge slowdown started knocking me down to like 40-50 fps...

And concerning the shadows - well I don't know what exactly is the problem about them. They are there and seem to work nice even when choosing the rotatable camera and getting as close to them as possible. They don't disappear for me or something like that.It just seemed though that the ground decals had some problems. Might recheck that with another mod though...

EDIT:
Well for the Urban map I just get a black screen & some flickering to the bottom left (similar to beherith). The screenshot taking method works though and so I get over 210 fps when using the tab zoom-out...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

How would I make an SM3 map and what improvements are still necessary for the format?
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

i get same as behe on the EE map. Urban seemed to work, but the shadows are broken.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

neddiedrow wrote:How would I make an SM3 map and what improvements are still necessary for the format?
Theres a decent tut in the wiki, and the following improvements are mandatory:
shadows, making it work on most pcs, and another blend/multiply level.

In fact it would be best if it wasnt a filter pipe, but a filter tree, but that might not be possible to implement

Return to “Engine”