do the developers check the bug database on sourceforge?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

F for Fragging

Post by F for Fragging »

I posted about my problem on the forum - http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1036 - but I didn't get a final word on the problem from the development. After that I posted in the bug database of the SourceForge page - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=739723 - but I haven't received any comment on the bug there either. I noticed that there were no comments on a lot of other bugs either.

Are the developers paying attention to what is reported in the bug database?
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

I don't know if the thread was clear enough.

The fact of the matter is, since you are on the same network, all your brother has to do is change his IP (make the IP local) in the client and join your game. I have never tested it, but that should work.

Why would you want to go through your cable line only to go back through your cable line to reach your brother's computer? Go through the lan and you will find your answer.

(Somewhere in the thread you questioned why spring needs ports forwarded. You do not need to forward ports if you are not hosting games. Hosting games requires port forwarding because routers block incoming connections from other computers on all ports.)
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

check my post on the original thread
F for Fragging

Post by F for Fragging »

Jouninkomiko, I had already read your reply in the original thread. But you gave an answer to my first and second problem, you said that I only needed to forward ports if I would host. And that if I wanted to host with two PC's behind a router that I should let them use different ports. That clarified my first and second problem, thank you for that.

But problem number three remains. If I host I can't join my game with the other PC behind my router.

But Ace07, you are saying that my brother needs to type his local IP (for example 10.0.0.155, right?) in the client, and that he should be able to join then? I'll try that.

And yes, I was wondering why I needed to forward ports when I would join a game. I know it is not necessary now. But the FAQ - http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=755 - made me think it was necessary because it says this in the FAQ:

Secondly, if you are behind a router, you can forward the ports that the host is using (especially if you are the host)

I interpret this as: the client AND the host need to have ports forwarded. Maybe this should be corrected in the FAQ then?

BTW, IMO the FAQ on this forum should be merged with the FAQ - http://taspring.clan-sy.com/faq.php - on the website.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Yes, I agree...this needs to be clarified. Routers and port forwarding are a very confusing topic.
F for Fragging

Post by F for Fragging »

Well, I tested it today.

First I checked the local IP of my bro's PC. To do that I opened the command prompt and typed "ipconfig". That gave me his local IP adress, 10.0.0.153 . So in the client, I opened File -> Configuration and wrote down his IP there. Then I tried to connect to my PC's game in the battle list. Double clicked it, it asked for my password, I gave the password, then it started loading for a while and it finally came up with an error message again. It looked similar like the screenshot I posted in my original thread (part of the error message is in Dutch cause it is a Dutch Windows XP)

jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

i made a post immediately before making that one. i explained why you can't connect using the method you're trying. right now, your only option is all lan, or all wan until the lobby has been updated to allow this.
F for Fragging

Post by F for Fragging »

Ah, I see you replied in my original thread now. I replied there as well.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

jouninkomiko wrote:i made a post immediately before making that one. i explained why you can't connect using the method you're trying. right now, your only option is all lan, or all wan until the lobby has been updated to allow this.
That stinks....hopefully the new one will allow both. :?

Return to “Engine”